C in Gross Anatomy, no chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemist157

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know "chances" threads are annoying but, please bear with me. I couldn't find anything on gross in particular. Obviously, this course is important for surgery. It took me a semester to get acclimated to med school and I just missed the cut off for a B and also received a C in another course. If second and third years are all A's and B's and step I goes well, does the gross grade mess up my chances for surgery? Should I retake it as an elective during 4th year?
thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

i wouldn't worry about it. do well next year, beat the national avg on step I, and honor your third year surgery clerkship and you will be fine. besides, chances are that you will change ur mind about surgery between now and then anyway.

-tm

Decisions regarding surgery applicants are generally not based on your pre-clinical grades, even in Anatomy. I'd be willing to bet that most faculty interviewing candidates are not going to even notice it, let alone use it as a determinant of how to rank you.
Most medical schools are deemphasizing anatomy these days and what is taught is not always clinically relevant; surgery applicants come from all different types of experiences and performances in their basic sciences. Decisions on interviewing tend to focus on Step 1, LORs, clinical grades and class ranking.

Frankly, if you do well on Step 1 and in your clinical rotations, I wouldn't worry about it.

In my experience over the past year talking to programs and program directors, they were more interested in my board scores and letters of recommendation than my preclinical grades.

They all wanted to make sure I did well on my surgery clerkships and that I passed my classes, but the numbers they wanted to know were my Step 1 and Step 2 scores.

I think that most people will agree that your anatomy grade doesnt carry as much weight as at least a half dozen other things.

Personally I found that my performance on a clinical rotation at the place I was applying was the biggest determining factor on whether a program seemed to like me.

Do well in the rest of your classes, do well on boards and when it comes time for that "audition rotation" work your butt off.

Good luck!