C+ in O-chem lab when should I do grade replacement???

Jun 19, 2009
North Carolina
Status
Pre-Medical
I got a C+ in my organic chemistry lab (my school only has one lab that you take while you're in o-chem 2) and I received B's in both organic 1 and 2 that I took during the summer. I'm applying to med school this summer/fall and hoping to be in the 2015 class. I didn't know if I should retake the lab for a grade replacement this fall or will it not even be worthwhile???

jboz

Removed
Mar 21, 2010
Status
what is it like 1 or 2 credits? A C+ should seem fine depending on your current GPA/sGPA?

TexasPhysician

10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
It's a 2 credit hour course and if i took the class again in the fall that grade would replace the C+
Replace it how? I applied 4 years ago, so maybe things have changed. Even if your school replaces the gpa so that you get higher honors at your school, doesn't mean that it comes off your transcript. School's can't remove courses from your transcript (replaced or not). Allopathic med schools will see your C+ and when I applied, they factored in all grades (replaced by your school or not).

Osteopathic schools will allow replacement grades. Allopathic schools average everything together...at least this is how it used to be.

dd128

10+ Year Member
May 30, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
3.6 is fine. Diminishing returns comes to mind when it comes to a 2 credit course. Even if AMCAS "replaces" a C with an A, which I doubt, it would not affect your gpa to make any drastic improvement at this point. lol, and personally I'd rather kill myself than retake any of those labs, just sayin' ;)

Dec 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
They still don't allow grade replacement. Whatever grade you got the second time would be basically averaged with the C+ when you apply for med school. Unless you apply D.O.

Untraditional

Making bad career decisions since 2003
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Its Ochem lab. Just do it again in the summer

Untraditional

Making bad career decisions since 2003
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't know how it is at your school but OChem lab for me was 1 credit and a 4 hour per week commitment plus the writeup. You can find the time someplace in your schedule. And if other things are good with your transcript you don't have a lot to worry about.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What they said. You can't replace it even if your school does. You have to report everything to the med schools. I wouldn't retake. A C+ isn't that bad. Just don't make it a habit.

metallica81788

Keeper of the Llamaworm
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I got a C+ in my organic chemistry lab (my school only has one lab that you take while you're in o-chem 2) and I received B's in both organic 1 and 2 that I took during the summer. I'm applying to med school this summer/fall and hoping to be in the 2015 class. I didn't know if I should retake the lab for a grade replacement this fall or will it not even be worthwhile???
I had the same situation as you - C in Organic Lab with Bs in both Organic 1 and 2.

If your other grades are fine, you're solid. Those were the only non-A grades I had on my app. One C isn't necessarily going to raise a red flag. Organic just might not be your thing - I know it wasn't mine. Show that you can succeed in other subjects.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2009
PA
Status
Attending Physician
Don't retake. It's not that bad and neither is your gpa. And retaking a class that they're going to see the C+ in anyway seems silly because 2 credits won't make any kind of significant difference in your gpa.