C- in Ochem 1. Withdraw from Ochem 2??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wylde

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Looking for some advice.

3.85 gpa from no-name school.

1 W in genchem 2, but I got an A in it when I retook it (along with an A in genchem 1).

C- in ochem 1 last semester (killed my gpa) because I was a slacker.

Im currently in Ochem 2 and working hard, but I got a B-/C+ on both my first and second tests due to stupid mistakes. I just got out of the second test and I am very frustrated with myself and quite emotional... contemplating dropping the course with a W.

I'm worried that a C- in ochem 1 followed by a W in ochem 2 is going to look very sketchy, even if I get an A in ochem 2 the next time around (which I believe is a legitimate possibility).

Today is the last day to drop, so I cant ask my advisor for help.

Opinions please.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think you can realistically keep your grade at least a B? If so, then don't drop. Depending on where you want to go to med school, I would probably retake the first ochem, too :/ then again, for pharm school they put a lot more emphasis on our performance in chem classes...

If you can get a B, don't drop.

If you can pull the B don't stop- make sure you are working a ton of problems. I didn't work any in Orgo 1 and got a C but then when I started reading the book and then working problems (literally all of them and making up more with friends) I pulled an A in Orgo 2. Does the book you use have end of chapter problems? If so I recommend them (mine required me to buy a solutions manual which was well worth it)... just for the record I spent hours in the library writing out substitution reactions, using the dry erase boards, etc

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! Work lots and lots of problems. People don't learn new languages by just watching teachers write out stuff on the board or listening to them speak it. YOU have to put in the effort to practice :) good luck.

I'd drop...I'm well on my way to medical school but still making up for my C in Orgo 1 followed by a D in Orgo 2 because I didn't drop. Your situation is not my situation, but I would audit it this time (or not even audit, just show up to class and learn it, without being registered), and then retake orgo 1 and 2 next year. I don't like your chances at doing well in orgo 2 without a good foundation in orgo - based on my identical experience. I am now retaking orgo in a postbac, got an A first semester and killing it the second semester so far.

Perhaps if you take orgo 1 and 2 during Summer, it may turn out better. To me, after my freshman year, my friend and I were both scared of orgo, so we decided to make it 1 vs 1 dual by only taking both orgo 1 and 2 during Summer. We studied for about 8 to 10 hours per day and got good grades.

Perhaps if you take orgo 1 and 2 during Summer, it may turn out better. To me, after my freshman year, my friend and I were both scared of orgo, so we decided to make it 1 vs 1 dual by only taking both orgo 1 and 2 during Summer. We studied for about 8 to 10 hours per day and got good grades.

I don't recommend this- I know way to many people who took just one of the organics in the summer (8 weeks vs 15 in normal semester) and struggled to keep up with the material. If you are already struggling I wouldn't cut the time to learn it.

Don't be a slacker this time round....make sure to get a B. You just need to change your studying. Write and rewrite the reactions all the time...like when you're watching tv :p

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I am going to stay with it. The main reason is that I would probably have to delay graduation an extra semester if I dropped organic :(.