dmission

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2007
California
Status
Pre-Medical
I got a C+ in ochem 1... is med school still do-able? I've got around a 3.2 GPA now, but I'm only a sophmore, it will go up a lot, thanks.

LuciusVorenus

Bad Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2009
Status
Medical Student
There are some very upper tier med schools that are RUMORED to not invite for interviews unless you get an A in both ochem classes, these are just rumors though, no substance behind them. That being said, ochem is a REALLY important class, and if you retook it, do you think you would be able to pull off an A? You should retake it just because ochem 2 is a lot harder (many, MANY more mechanisms and reagents to learn) compared to ochem 1 and in your situation an A in ochem 2 is pretty much required, which in turn requires a really strong foundation from ochem 1. Don't worry about your GPA, you should be able to raise that, if not by application time at least by the 5th year if you end up having to stay longer than 4 years. Just worry about ochem! What part did you struggle with in particular?

Last edited:

dmission

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2007
California
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the reply. I think I've got no shot at top schools anyway :p I probably wouldn't get an A if I retook it... I was REALLY close to a B- (0.5%). I just didn't study hard enough, but it was tough... I think I can do better in Ochem II. How much is an A in ochem II required for me though? I will try my best, but the teacher I have is insane and only gives 5% A's from a class of 400+. Would a B in Ochem II and a C+ in Ochem I doom me?

Thanks again.

LuciusVorenus

Bad Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2009
Status
Medical Student
A B wouldn't doom you but an A would show you have the mastery in ochem required to succeed in med school (since most of ochem is really in ochem II anyway, ochem I is just background knowledge you need for ochem II). Then again a B or B+ would still show improvement over the last course. As long as you maintain a high sGPA (and succeed in biochem) you'll still have a good chance if you make sure not to apply to too many reaches/long-shots. Just make sure you redeem your chemistry grades on the PS section of the MCAT :)

Jan 5, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Why are you sure your GPA will go you? Your about to start upper devision coursework, which generally means your GPA will go down...

Apr 30, 2009
Status
I got a C in Orgo I, but I have still been accepted to medical school. Make sure to redeem yourself in Orgo II--I got an A in Orgo II.

Jesse3093

7+ Year Member
May 13, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I have a similar situation, Gen chem avg = B-, Ochem avg = B, but i am also taking 400 level biochemistry class to show i could handle the the course work and I got an A first semester and I currently have an A in the second half as well. Will this make up for the lower gen and ochem grades? Also have shown a strong upward trend in other classes as well recently. ( I wont lie, i slacked off my first 2 years)