Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

C- in Organic Chemistry I!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MedicalSonata, Dec 17, 2008.

1. MedicalSonata

MedicalSonata Friendly Pre-Med, PM me!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Crap..

A lot of you guys know I kept posting about failing Organic Chemistry? Well - I didn't. I made a C-...which now I think makes me even more angry than if I had just failed it..

Isn't it true you have to make at least a C in all pre-reqs? Does a C- count!? Do I really have to retake the entire class because I was about 1 pt away from a C?

Also - this was reeaaly bad semester. I ended up with a 2.65 GPA. I made B+ in Microbiology and a B in it's lab...but I made a B- in a 6 credit, non-pre-req course...which coupled with my C- in Organic Chemistry caused the GPA.

I'm taking classes that are more up my alley next semester - 16 credits, and I plan to make no less than a B+ in any of them (mostly A's I'm hoping - I was a transfer to my college and obviously wasn't ready for the rigors of a top school from a CC. Now that I know how to study, I think I can do much better)

Did I cause a lot of problems for myself?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MedicalSonata

MedicalSonata Friendly Pre-Med, PM me!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    21 views..no help?

4. Rabbit36

Rabbit36 Lagomorphadelic
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Some schools may be strict about C vs. C-, others may let it slide. Consider retaking it either way, because whether or not it's acceptable, it's not good. Sorry about the rough semester. I've had my share of those. Next semester is a clean slate, so just stay on top of things from the beginning. Nothing's lost, you just need to figure out how you do best :)

5. mtnman12

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've been an organic TA for awhile and know how frustrating the class can be for a variety of people. Its tough, and really there is absolutely no written rule for med school that says "Every prereq must be at least a C." Every single school looks at things differently - and I have talked to so many people who have been accepted with a variety of backgrounds that I've stopped paying attention.

Still, my advice to you would be to retake the class, but it's just an opinion. You could continue on and then plan on getting a 36+ on the MCAT and if you looked you could find schools who will accept you. But you will have to learn the material sometime, so I would just do it and make your transcript look better at the same time. You will be much better off in the long run.

Depending on your overall GPA, I really wouldn't recommend applying with a GPA below 3.0 either no matter how high your MCAT. But OChem is important, and you have to prove that you figured out how to learn the stuff. Good luck!

6. chiz2kul

chiz2kul t.roll.ed for Banning
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Really??

7. Zirna

Zirna I

Pre-Medical
    Wow...I was really about to ask this same question! I just found out I got a C- in Orgo I as well, and I'm really worried about my Genetics grade. (they're not up yet.) I'm more worried about being allowed to take Orgo II next semester, my schedule's really tight and if I can't continue I'll have to overload pretty much for the rest of undergrad.

I was already planning on retaking it this summer since I kinda knew this grade was coming. I had some pretty heavy personal things happen right before midterms and never really recovered my grades. I not really in any position to be giving advice since I'm in the same boat as you, but I figure if I retake it and do better in upper-levels I should be ok right?

Plus we'll always have the whole overcoming-adversity/learning-from-mistakes thing to write about in our personal statements. :oops:

8. Dissected

Dissected All bleeding stops eventually
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How many stinkin threads have you started about this class?

9. alibai3ah

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There is alot that goes to the medical school application than just one bad grade (even if it is a C- in a pre req). Sure they will most likely look at it, but when you are applying senior/junior year, your upper division biology classes will show your improvement as a student. And you can always prove it to them that you can handle orgo by doing well on the MCAT sciences portion....thats how i am coping with my C's in college. What i'm saying is yes that C- won't look good, but i sincerely doubt that will break all hope for you and medical school.....

10. Mistress S

Mistress S Don't mess with the S
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't know if it is a big deal that it was a C- rather than a C, but if you don't have to, don't retake it. I got a C in orgo one term. I felt awful at the time, but obviously it didn't stop me from getting into med school. It was the only C I got in undergrad though, my overall GPA was around 3.75 with a sci GPA of 3.5 I believe. I took biochem later and got an A in that, it was a lot more interesting (to me) and also more applicable to med school. I know the class is a prereq, but you do NOT use orgo in med school. I guess having a background in it is somewhat useful, but IMHO it is not any more important or useful than other prereqs. I feel like a lot of people say things like orgo is somehow more similar to courses you will take in med school, that really wasn't my experience other than it was a tough course and your preclinical years are obviously demanding for the most part. So my advice is work hard next semester and avoid getting more C's, take biochem or another upper level chem course and get an A in that to show you can handle the work (rather than repeating the class you took, unless you have to), and if your other grades are good you should be fine. Good luck.

11. ILikeFood

ILikeFood NSU Class of 2013
    10+ Year Member

What do you think? You earned a C- in Ochem, and a 2.65 for the semester and you're asking us if it's a problem? Yes it's a problem, but one you can overcome. Stop seeking reassurances. It's not going to make the C- go away. It's not going to make the 2.65 go away.

You've made 9 threads (including this one) about the same topic. For those of you who are readying up a reply, here are the OPs other eight threads about the same damn thing:
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=578001
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=578132
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=582012
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=582922
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=583264
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=584359
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=585562
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=586919

OP, your biggest problem isn't your grades, but your inability to accept the consequences of your actions, and your inability to cope with setbacks. Stop panicking. Stop it.

#10 ILikeFood, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  12. BeardedRunner

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  13. JJMrK

JJMrK J to the J
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You need to absolutely destroy ochem II. It definitely can be done, it just requires some work.

14. jr doctor in sd

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you spent as much time studying for the course as you did posting your stress or venting about it (9 threads?! are you serious..), you probably could've gotten a C.

My nicer side says it CAN potentially be OK. very bad quarter you just had. I got a C+ in ochem I and C in genetics (both were end of my freshman year). Then I got extremely serious and since then have had 3.8, 4.0, and (not all grades are out yet) ~3.8-3.9 this Q. It has been so much harder than I expected and I made huge sacrifices but it can be done. PS I went from C+ in Ochem I to A and A+ in Ochem II and III.

Hope that motivates :rolleyes:

15. nemomo

I feel your pain... I did horrible this semester too and I just transfered to a 4 year university from cc too...I am def not taking orgo 2 next semester and I am planning on staying home and doing nothing but studying next semester.. I don't know if its gonna help considering I went out total of 3 times this semester :(

16. Doctor D

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It sounds like your overall GPA is what you should be worried about. Keep in mind that the avg. GPA of matriculates is ~3.6 . B+ will not get you there, you need to get A's. Good luck.

17. ACSurgeon

ACSurgeon Acute Care Surgeon
    Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Are you sure you wanna go to med school? No pun. It's really really really difficult compred to undergrad. People with 4.0's in UG struggle in med school. Not to imply you can't handle it, but would you even want to.

18. niranjan162

7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    of course he does, otherwise he cant make 9 threads about something on SDN anymore

19. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    can you take ochem 2 with a c-? if not then you have to retake.

either way you have other issues.