C- in Organic Chemistry I!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopki099

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I received a C- in my first semester of organic chemistry. This is (barely) a passing grade at my school. I just read on one medical school's website that they require at least a C in all courses for admission, while specifying that a "C- is less than a C."

Is this typical for medical schools? Should I even bother applying to schools if i cannot get in with a C-?

I am planning to apply for medical schools this June!

Note: I have a 3.6 overall GPA with a B+ in organic chemistry II and an A in biochemistry.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, I received a C- in my first semester of organic chemistry. This is (barely) a passing grade at my school. I just read on one medical school's website that they require at least a C in all courses for admission, while specifying that a "C- is less than a C."

Is this typical for medical schools? Should I even bother applying to schools if i cannot get in with a C-?

Note: I have a 3.6 overall GPA with a B+ in organic chemistry II and an A in biochemistry.

Retake the class.

There are other schools that specify Bs in the prerequisites. Some don't give any guidelines at all. You'll have to check the websites of all your most preferred schools and see what they say. But in general, I agree with illegallysmooth. You must have a solid understanding of OChem to do well on the MCAT. Give strong consideration to retaking the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should also mention that I am a Junior and have a 33Q MCAT (11s) and the rest of my application is fine. I'm just curious about whether or not I will get flat-out rejected by schools if I apply this summer.

My main questions are:
Do I have to retake the course for most schools?
Can I still apply in June before I have a chance to retake the course?
Or do I just have to retake the course sometime before I graduate?

Last edited:
I should also mention that I am a Junior and have a 33Q MCAT and the rest of my application is fine. I'm just curious about whether or not I will get flat-out rejected by schools.

My main questions are:
Do I have to retake the course for most schools?
Can I still apply in June before I have a chance to retake the course?
Or do I just have to retake the course sometime before I graduate?

If your only concern is being flat-out disqualified, look up the grade requirement for each school you plan to apply to, and if you cannot find the information then call their admissions office and ask. However, the second semester is harder and relies on an understanding of the first.

The consensus is you need a C or better in the pre-reqs.

I should also mention that I am a Junior and have a 33Q MCAT (11s)?
Well you negated my argument nicely. If you got a B- or better in OChem II or Biochem, a lot of schools would consider the C- redeemed. To know where you stand, you'll have to call schools or check websites. If you find you must retake, you'd be fine so long as the class is completed before med school matriculation (and I would list it as a futiure course on the AMCAS application).

One of my state's schools doesn't require OChem at all, they just recommend it, so it doesn't matter what grade you get as long as your overall GPA and BCPM are competitive.

So the best and safest thing for me to do would be to retake the class next year but mention on my application that I plan to take it again before matriculation?