"C" in organic I, then organic II dropped.. retake organic I or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chelslen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fall 2010 I got a grade of "C" in organic I (A- in lab).

Spring 2011 I went on to take organic II and ended up having to withdraw from it because of some serious medical issues I had where I just couldn't handle it (No, I'm not making excuses, and I don't expect med schools to care.)

Now I still have to take organic II.

I was going to take it this summer but I read that its not always the best to take med school pre-reqs over the summer.. and I figured it'd especially look bad since I dropped it in the spring.

I was going to take it in the fall but by that point it'll be a year in between organic I and organic II... and I'm not exactly happy with my organic I grade. I know grades are averaged together for retakes, but I feel confident if I really try I could at least make an A-, if not an A.

Should I retake organic I in the fall and take organic II immediately after in the spring? This way they'd be back to back and my grade would be higher in organic I.

I have plenty of room in my schedule to do so, I'm just trying to figure out what would look best on a med school app.

What do you think would look better? Do med schools look down on retakes, or is this a good plan?

Members don't see this ad.

You seem to be digging yourself a hole here. A C in Ochem 1 followed by a W in Ochem 2 is likely to bring questions. That said, if you go back and pull an A in Ochem 2 and keep the As rolling in you'll be just fine. You simply have to do it. Retaking Ochem 1 isn't really going to matter except insofar as the A there prepares you for Ochem 2. Anything less than an A in Ochem 2 is going to hurt pretty badly at this point. You need to trend upward.

a C won't kill you as long as your grades improve from this point forward. an upward trend is good and shows maturity.

as you mentioned, you had some medical issues which were affecting your performance but I hope everything works out for you form now on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Short answer: yes

Long answer: yessir

You seem to be digging yourself a hole here. A C in Ochem 1 followed by a W in Ochem 2 is likely to bring questions. That said, if you go back and pull an A in Ochem 2 and keep the As rolling in you'll be just fine. You simply have to do it. Retaking Ochem 1 isn't really going to matter except insofar as the A there prepares you for Ochem 2. Anything less than an A in Ochem 2 is going to hurt pretty badly at this point. You need to trend upward.

Yeah I understand that...I'm not really wanting to retake ochem I just for the grade, though I do plan to get an A if I do retake it... my main concern was just thinking it might look better if I take ochem I and ochem II back to back.

I'm just trying to figure out which would look worse..
  1. I could go on to take ochem 2 in the fall, but then it will have been a year since I took ochem 1, which might look really funny on a med school app
  2. I could completely redo it and take ochem 1 again (which would bring my averaged grade up to a B if I score an A this time), and then take ochem 2 in the spring immediately after... the only con here is the whole "retaking a class" thing.

Thanks for your advice!

Yeah I understand that...I'm not really wanting to retake ochem I just for the grade, though I do plan to get an A if I do retake it... my main concern was just thinking it might look better if I take ochem I and ochem II back to back.

I'm just trying to figure out which would look worse..
  1. I could go on to take ochem 2 in the fall, but then it will have been a year since I took ochem 1, which might look really funny on a med school app
  2. I could completely redo it and take ochem 1 again (which would bring my averaged grade up to a B if I score an A this time), and then take ochem 2 in the spring immediately after... the only con here is the whole "retaking a class" thing.

Thanks for your advice!

Retaking isn't "frowned upon" (except, perhaps, by SDN). That said, retakes HAVE to be strong (or they likely will catch negative attention) and they don't actually "average" together. That's a myth perpetuated by some premeds who haven't done their research.

The main advantage to retaking Ochem 1 is to ensure you get an A in Ochem 2 (as well as ensuring you know the Ochem 1 material for the MCAT, since probably 90% of MCAT Ochem is from Ochem 1 -- at least conceptually). Besides that, you're better off acing both semesters of a rigorous yr-long biochem course and showing any adcom that you're perfectly capable of that kind of work (since biochem in med school is largely what they're wondering if you can pull of anyway).

Retaking Orgo 1 will cement in your knowledge of the subject and give you a good grade for your cumGPA and BCMP GPA. If you can retake it do it. We all make mistakes, even med school know this and expect it ( they just hope you don't do it on there watch), so it is better to recognize your mistakes and fix them. To have to admit to yourself that you need to go back and fix this, show more maturity to a medical school then an upward trend. Of course continue to get the best grades you can in the future. Cs won't cut it if they bring your GPA down to the floor. Fixing mistakes trumps ignoring them and hoping to do better.

If I were you, I would just take it over the summer and try like hell for the A, that way you can start next year with Organic Chemistry done and just move on.

If you really don't want to do it over the summer, I would instead do some prep/go over old notes and just take it in the Fall and do really well, I don't think you'd need to repeat a class just to remember the concepts.

...I don't think I could sit through organic chemistry twice haha but to each his own

If I were you, I would just take it over the summer and try like hell for the A, that way you can start next year with Organic Chemistry done and just move on.

If you really don't want to do it over the summer, I would instead do some prep/go over old notes and just take it in the Fall and do really well, I don't think you'd need to repeat a class just to remember the concepts.

...I don't think I could sit through organic chemistry twice haha but to each his own

I was originally going to do that, but I though it was best not to take the required pre-reqs over the summer?
I know it's definitely possible to take one or 2 like this, but seeing me score a C in ochem I, try for ochem 2 in the spring, give up and withdraw, and then take it in the summer when its "easier"... might look really bad on a med school app I was thinking.

Correct me if I'm wrong! I'm just trying to do as few screwups as possible from now on haha.