1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

C in Orgo

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wjin06, Dec 15, 2005.

1. wjin06

wjin06 Member
    5+ Year Member

How much will a C in Organic Chemistry hurt me? For my first term of Orgo, I received a C.. I still have one more term left but I doubt I could do much better. I've done everything I can for this class, and I just don't know what else to do. My problem isn't so much understanding the material as it is finishing tests in time, something a tutor wouldn't be able to help with. All I do is study for Orgo and it obviously still kicked me in the butt. If I plan on applying to med school, how much will this C kill my chances?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

i got a C in orgo. As and Bs in everything else. i'm taking my second semester of orgo right now. probably gonna get another C but i already applied.
    -mota

4. Will Ferrell

Will Ferrell Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I don't think any one particular course is crucial. There's no way you'll be rejected off of a C in Orgo I alone. Just do better on orgo II and it won't ever be a problem.

5. solitude

solitude Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yeah a ton of people do poorly in orgo. Just work hard, get a B in orgo II and rock out your other classes and you'll be fine. It sounds like you're working really hard, and that will shine through in the rest of your application. I know a few physicians who have said that orgo was the hardest course they ever took, including those in med school. Could be hyperbole, but obviously they would be somewhat forgiving if they saw that grade on your transcript.

6. jon stewart

jon stewart Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

a C in ochem will not keep you out of med school. Just figure out how to do better next term, talk to the prof.

7. p00psicleSTICK

p00psicleSTICK cat's in the cradle
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just one C won't hurt you too much, but rather I'd see it as a huge loss for the MCAT. When I studied for Orgo/Physics/Bio I just thought of it as studying for the MCAT (on top of getting a good grade).

8. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

I wouldn't worry about it too much. A D would definitely kill your dreams, but a C will be okay as long as your grades are solid everywhere else. Don't sweat not being able to ace OChem; the bad news, as you know, is that it is required for admissions from pretty much every medical school in the nation. The good news is that it is never used in medical school and will not affect your ability to become a good doctor. I'd go in to see my professor, daily if necessary, to get help. That's what my cousin did, and this resulted in an A. Good luck, and don't give up your dreams.

9. chaeymaey

chaeymaey 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I got a C in Orgo 1. I hired a tutor for Orgo 2 and kept studying hard, but even so I failed every test and dropped the class. I took Orgo 2 that summer and made an A. Somestimes it's just not that right time to take a certain class, whether it's because of work, personal relationships, or whatever else is going on. Don't feel that you have to take Orgo 2 next term; you could wait until the summer or next year.

You said that you had problems with time on the exam. You may want to ask your prof to either shorten the tests or ask if you personally can have extra time on the exam; maybe he can let you finish it in his office after everyone else has turned in their exam or you can start the exam a half hour before everyone else.

10. MarzMD

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

I second this. At my university, some students were allowed to have more time on exams if they were recognized as not being able to finish tests on time. How they were able to get this status, Im not sure, but its worth doing some research on.

11. anon-y-mouse

anon-y-mouse Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't worry about the C, just get A's in everything else. I know someone with a C+ in Orgo 1, now at WashU... of course he then got an A next semester...

12. Mistress S

Mistress S Don't mess with the S
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I got a C in o-chem, now in my first year of med school. I didn't retake it, but I did take biochem later and got an A. I thought biochem was a lot more interesting than o-chem. Try not to get another C, but it's not the end of the world.

13. Dr2010

Dr2010 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hey guys, how bout this one, B in ochem 1, C/C- in ochem 2. What happened, I dont know, I knew all the material, but i didnt trust my instict and knowledge on tests, I always felt the prof was trying to trick me, which killed me. If i get a C i cant retake, I am headed to the med schoolreject pile with those grades?

14. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

Cs add character to your transcript. thats my take on it.
    -mota

15. Lolo08

Lolo08 Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That's similar to what happened to me. I got a B in Orgo I and C+ in Orgo 2. Orgo's a tough class and adcoms know it. You won't be heading straight for the rejection pile if your other grades are good (above a 3.5). Be aware that adcoms WILL ask you about any red flags you have, and that C/C- in ochem 2 may come up (it came up for me twice out of 5 interviews). Just be prepared to defend yourself...did you have a tough semester? health issues? what went wrong? take responsibility and don't blame others if you were just lazy. show them that you can come back next semester with good grades. i jumped from a 2.9 to a 3.9 the following semester and my success story really impressed the adcoms.

16. Dr2010

Dr2010 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I didnt have a tough semester, i did well in bio and spanish, but I was sick for most of the semester and it really dragged me down physically, also part of it was I didnt take my tests with confidence, I aced all the practice tests, but when i sat down to take the exam, it was like there were 3 ppl debating with themselves the right and wrong answers, i mean literally there are times on my tests, where i scratched out the right answer and wrote a completely incorrect one.

17. solitude

solitude Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

This sounds like a psychological problem that could spread to other exams. I would try to fix it over winter break. Half of the battle with difficult exams is having a ton of confidence going in. If you do, you work quickly, you work efficiently, and you don't second-guess yourself, because your first instict is usually right if you've studied a lot.

It sounds like you know your stuff, but you need to get confidence. I personally like to go into an exam with arrogance, not exuding it to others, but in my head thinking I'm the man and I will ace this beast.

Next semester, get confident/cocky/arrogant about your knowledge of orgo before the exam. Once you've studied your butt off, everything will flow from the repository of knowledge that is your brain. My motto is to "just push electrons toward positive charge", and everything else will follow.

18. Dr2010

Dr2010 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    thats definitley something i need to work on, because I can literally sit down for hours explaining the material to others, but seem to have trouble affirming to myself that I know what the hell I'm talking about.

19. eric23

eric23 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Orgo is a tough class! Just pick it up for the second term. It's all about motivation. If you get an A in the second part...then the C won't hurt you very much AT ALL.

20. solitude

solitude Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yeah it sounds like you really know your stuff. You could try the academic resource center or some other type of counseling to get you more confidence.

21. Dr.D-man

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What I would sugest to anyone who is struggling in orgo is to find a tutor or anyone who understands orgo and pick their brain; find out how they approach the problems. Form and function are the key, it's not all just memorization. Learn the fundamentals and how to analyze the problems an you will do better.

22. chaeymaey

chaeymaey 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    If you're looking for a class to show you've improved, you may consider acing Biochem 1 since it's the next level in Chemistry, as in if you made a C in O Chem 1 make an A in O Chem 2, if you make a C in O Chem 2 make an A in Biochem 1. I guess you could take advanced O Chem, but I don't know if that would be worth it.

23. Nylesor

Nylesor Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Take Org 2 in the summer. It was a lot easier in my opinion taking just one tough class like this at a time to give it the attention it deserves without compromising your other classes. I did that with Calc I and II and got two A's (and I SUCK at math) and did it with my retake of Org II. Unfortunately, boot camp didn't allow me to take it until a year after taking Org I, so remembering a lot of the material was an additional fun challenge. :rolleyes: On that note, do med schools look unfavorably on summer classes? Cuz I'm a summer class fiend (graduating with 200+ credits! and three minors) :cool: