C- in prerequisite. Should I apply to schools that doesn't have min. grade requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicole2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got one from general bio, but I have other bio classes with labs (including advanced bio) that I've gotten A's in, and the schools said they will accept other bio classes.
I just figured out that I got another on from Orgo 2, that I retook this semester just by 0.002%. The professor hasn't responded to my email requesting to give me a C..

Should I only apply to schools that 1) doesn't have minimum grade requirements 2) doesn't require orgo 2?
Or should I still apply to schools with orgo 2 requirements and a minimum grade requirements and retake orgo 2 for the third time in the fall?
I had a long list of schools that I was planning to apply and now I have to decide what to do.. :(
C- in a retake would look really bad..

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Generally from what I have seen a C- is not an acceptable grade for most dental schools. So I would suggest you retake it if you cannot get the "C". And a C- in a retake would not look really bad. I took Gen Chem 3 times, of which one time I failed, got a C-, then an A. It doesn't look great but it also shows persistence. If they ask you should be able to explain it. Also, most schools require Orgo 2. Hope this helps!

Hi,

Generally from what I have seen a C- is not an acceptable grade for most dental schools. So I would suggest you retake it if you cannot get the "C". And a C- in a retake would not look really bad. I took Gen Chem 3 times, of which one time I failed, got a C-, then an A. It doesn't look great but it also shows persistence. If they ask you should be able to explain it. Also, most schools require Orgo 2. Hope this helps!

Thank you for the reply! I should probably retake it this fall again :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Is a C- considered a 2.0 or below?

Oh alright, this is for any undergrad institution you went to?
It’ll probably vary for each institution, but AADSAS recalculated your GPA for your application using their own numbers. Not your school’s