C Minus in Both Organic Chems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Two Sides

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could I still apply this cycle, or would I have to retake them?

Members don't see this ad.

That's a bummer. I'd say you're looking at an extremely uphill battle unless the rest of your GPA and MCAT can outweigh the deficit. The ADCOMs will scrutinize you for not improving the second semester to make up for the first C-. Look into retakes. Don't get distracted because you may have to wait a little bit longer to matriculate.

Last edited:
That's a bummer. I'd say you're looking at an extremely uphill battle unless the rest of your GPA and MCAT can outweigh the deficit. The ADCOMs will scrutinize you for not improving the second semester to make up for the first C-. Look into retakes. Don't get distract because you may have to wait a little bit longer to matriculate.

Thanks for the reply. I'm considering taking une's organic chems 1 and 2 with a personal tutor, and trying to finish them in a month each. Would that work? The speed would be similar to a summer class.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're in for some hurt, but it's not impossible.

Good luck!

I've been looking at a few schools who have posted they will not accept C- so I would look closely at the school's you're choosing and their requirements. For some of them, you will probably need retakes.

I've been looking at a few schools who have posted they will not accept C- so I would look closely at the school's you're choosing and their requirements. For some of them, you will probably need retakes.

I know a lot of schools don't take c-'s, but some users have stated that the schools may give exceptions. Regardless, I'll probably retake them through une and try to finish asap.

You will need to retake. Most schools (all?) require a C or better in pre-reqs. If there are exceptions it is most likely non-trad students who took it a while ago, or someone who excelled in multiple upper level chem courses

Reactions: 1 user
You will need to retake. Most schools (all?) require a C or better in pre-reqs. If there are exceptions it is most likely non-trad students who took it a while ago, or someone who excelled in multiple upper level chem courses

Thanks. I'll hire a tutor and go through the une courses as fast as I can.

Unless the rest of your application (GPA, MCAT, volunteering, ECs, etc) are all really stellar, you would probably be better off retaking them at a normal semester pace and not a month-long accelerated. There's no reason to rush these classes. They are difficult to begin with and if you struggled enough the first time I can't imagine it will be better in an accelerated version even with a tutor. You will be shooting yourself in the foot if you undertake these classes at such an accelerated pace and then do poorly again. Plus, a month for each class = waiting at least two months before submitting your apps and that is pretty late. You will need to have a great app otherwise but even then you might still just be donating your money. I recommend taking the regular length classes again with a tutor to give yourself the best scenario then apply June 2017 to give yourself the best chances at an acceptance. That's what I would do in your position but just think about it very carefully before you jump into the accelerated classes.

Unless the rest of your application (GPA, MCAT, volunteering, ECs, etc) are all really stellar, you would probably be better off retaking them at a normal semester pace and not a month-long accelerated. There's no reason to rush these classes. They are difficult to begin with and if you struggled enough the first time I can't imagine it will be better in an accelerated version even with a tutor. You will be shooting yourself in the foot if you undertake these classes at such an accelerated pace and then do poorly again. Plus, a month for each class = waiting at least two months before submitting your apps and that is pretty late. You will need to have a great app otherwise but even then you might still just be donating your money. I recommend taking the regular length classes again with a tutor to give yourself the best scenario then apply June 2017 to give yourself the best chances at an acceptance. That's what I would do in your position but just think about it very carefully before you jump into the accelerated classes.
^^ THIS.
I've seen a couple of your other threads and your MCAT score was sub-500. Why are you rushing your application cycle? You're just going to waste money and have to go through it again! Take the time to really let the material sink in so you know what you're doing with your MCAT once you take it. Rushing Organic Chemistry isn't just going to make it go away-- even with a tutor. If you didn't do well the first time at a regular pace-- what makes you think you can succeed at an even FASTER pace? Organic Chemistry in a month isn't even possible. Most of the courses that are accelerated last 6 weeks at least. Even with a tutor at that pace, you may feel burnt out and then not remember any of that material, which will help you for Biochemistry and your MCAT.

No matter what your situation, don't rush this.

I have agree with the other posters. I took orgo 1 and 2 over the summer, and it was rough. I spent 5-6+ hours each night studying, and still barely managed an A. On top of that, of the 16 students in the class, there were 2 A's, 2 B's, and the remainder were C's or below. It's just not a great plan unless you completely devote your life to learning it.

Any idea why you had C- in those classes? Evaluate and determine why your grade was so low. Personally I would retake them and wait. Taking them in a month would be very tough to do. You run the risk of getting another bad grade in them if rushed. I would say if you waited and took them during regular semester times, you could learn the material relatively fast (since already having been exposed to it) and have a much better chance at getting a high grade. Best of luck either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will have nothing going on besides these classes. Anyways, my course will be starting on Wednesday.

I would retake both and ace them, and I wouldn't take them online. But that's just me

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Don't be bummed, it took me a couple retakes to nail Ochem, on the plus side I ended up with A's then nailed Biochem the first time around.

I would retake. Many schools dont accept C- as a passing grade. You'd have to apply to schools that are okay with that, while still competing with other students who didn't have a C-.

My course will start on Wednesday, and I'll try to finish it in a month. Then, I'll do the Orgo 2 the following month and send in my apps.

Could I still apply this cycle, or would I have to retake them?

Most schools require at least a C in the pre-reqs so you will have to retake if you want to apply really broadly. I applied to 31 schools and 95%+ require at least a C.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I definitely agree with the other posters; it's solid advice, but I understand it can be frustrating to feel like you need to wait longer.

I cast my vote to retake as well, especially if your other academic portions aren't stellar. and to not take them online.. can you even take a lab online? most programs require labs. BUT one thing I do want to throw out there is that some programs do take biochemistry in lieu of organic chemistry.

I definitely agree with the other posters; it's solid advice, but I understand it can be frustrating to feel like you need to wait longer.

I cast my vote to retake as well, especially if your other academic portions aren't stellar. and to not take them online.. can you even take a lab online? most programs require labs. BUT one thing I do want to throw out there is that some programs do take biochemistry in lieu of organic chemistry.

Thanks for the reply! UNE offers organic labs online - it's virtual and mimics a real lab setting. I just want to retake them since I received C-'s. Biochem would perhaps fulfill the organic prereqs at some DO schools, but it would not get rid of the C-'s on my transcripts. I'm just going to go with UNE, and finish them asap. Thanks for the info, though.

Does anyone know of any online organic chemistry courses that are self-paced, and that don't require proctors?

You were hoping to find any easy route to cheat. There is no such route.

You were hoping to find any easy route to cheat. There is no such route.

That or the fact that I have don't have a webcam. Btw, nice jumping to conclusions - you took the easy route - there is no route.

Poor excuse. If you are set on taking an online course for a missing pre-requisite, it is obviously important to have a webcam...that is just common sense.

Poor excuse. If you are set on taking an online course for a missing pre-requisite, it is obviously important to have a webcam...that is just common sense.

Poor reply. If I have never taken an online course before, then how would I automatically know how they work? That is just common sense...

Lol. How would an online pre-requisite (especially for medical school admission) be reputable for credit if there was no proctors? Do you not see the flaw in your thinking? Anyways GL with the help of your tutor. smh

Last edited:
My undergrad had online bio and chem, so I logically thought that organic would be available as well. The courses never had proctors. Several state schools in my state and several others have the same format - timed test, so you can't rely on google. Never heard of webcam proctoring until recently.

Dang. Sorry for being a Jackass/assuming. I though most online pre-requisites would be proctored. I learned something new today. I was also contemplating about taking O chem II with UNECOM (since it is flexible/fast), but I am not comfortable with online and I don't want to get dinged for taking that route. I do hope you get a good grade with the help of your tutor. I am not an expert and you can take my advice with a grain of salt, but I believe you should apply spring 2017 on the first day apps opens up. Don't rush seriously.

Hey, it's cool dude. I'm pretty new to the online course world as well. Different institutions have different policies from my research. Some require in-person tests, timed online tests, and webcam proctoring. I guess there could be other variations as well.

Finished Organic 2 with an A- in lecture and B+ in lab. Off to organic 1.

Well done m8! Keep it up!

Thanks dude. Interestingly, organic 2 was just ir/nmr/mass spec and biochem. Do you know any schools that take c minuses? I would like to apply to a school to get verified while I take the course. Thanks!

Thanks dude. Interestingly, organic 2 was just ir/nmr/mass spec and biochem. Do you know any schools that take c minuses? I would like to apply to a school to get verified while I take the course. Thanks!
Unfortunately I don't know any that take C-'s. If there are some that exist they are probably very few. :shrug:

Are you going to apply with a sub-500 MCAT? Donations, donations...

Retook it and received a 500 (124,126,125,125) on 9/1. I'm on a winning streak :cigar: jk. I know my mcat score isn't great, but it'll do. I've worked hard to fix myself, and I've come a long way to get to this point.

Retook it and received a 500 (124,126,125,125) on 9/1. I'm on a winning streak :cigar: jk. I know my mcat score isn't great, but it'll do. I've worked hard to fix myself, and I've come a long way to get to this point.
Actually, with some of that academic initiative in a short span of time, I think you may have a fighting chance.

Actually, with some of that academic initiative in a short span of time, I think you may have a fighting chance.

Thanks, man. Any sort of encouragement is a great relief. I hope you get into the school of your choice and crush med school!

Thanks for the reply. I'm considering taking une's organic chems 1 and 2 with a personal tutor, and trying to finish them in a month each. Would that work? The speed would be similar to a summer class.

I took the accelerated Orgo series in about 2 months, so the "quarters" were roughly 2.5 weeks each. I spent the ENTIRE day cheming, so 7:30 am - 2 pm in class/lab and then 3 pm - 11 pm studying. Of course there were breaks here and there, but I had to devote my life to this. Unless you are entirely committed to doing something similar (which I advise not to rush), then please do not give yourself a time limit of 1 month to complete these classes. I have heard that Orgo II is heavily weighted when admissions look at your stats, but I can't confirm this. Since you have taken these classes before, take your time and really focus on mastering the material. You will regret rushing if you do not do well. Med schools aren't going anywhere, so you need to pace yourself and do the best that you can do. I hope that helps.

Good luck, you can do it!

I took the accelerated Orgo series in about 2 months, so the "quarters" were roughly 2.5 weeks each. I spent the ENTIRE day cheming, so 7:30 am - 2 pm in class/lab and then 3 pm - 11 pm studying. Of course there were breaks here and there, but I had to devote my life to this. Unless you are entirely committed to doing something similar (which I advise not to rush), then please do not give yourself a time limit of 1 month to complete these classes. I have heard that Orgo II is heavily weighted when admissions look at your stats, but I can't confirm this. Since you have taken these classes before, take your time and really focus on mastering the material. You will regret rushing if you do not do well. Med schools aren't going anywhere, so you need to pace yourself and do the best that you can do. I hope that helps.

Good luck, you can do it!

Hey, man. I just finished organic 2 with an A- in lecture and a B+ in lab in ~4.5 weeks. My organic 1 class starts next Wednesday.

Hey, man. I just finished organic 2 with an A- in lecture and a B+ in lab in ~4.5 weeks. My organic 1 class starts next Wednesday.

My man!! Keep doing what you're doing and you should see good results again for Orgo I. You should be really proud of yourself, but don't get too comfortable as you start your next class.

My man!! Keep doing what you're doing and you should see good results again for Orgo I. You should be really proud of yourself, but don't get too comfortable as you start your next class.

Thanks for the encouragement, dude! I wish you the best in your premed journey as well!