C minus in G. Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

underdog99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couple of questions:

1- has anyone gotten in with a C- on their transcript
2- does "1 year of g. chem need a C or above" mean both half year courses individually need a C or can we average out the 2 courses over half a year?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe some schools like to see at least a B in prerequisite courses. Thus both courses should have at least a B. Different schools have different minimum requirements, you can check on each school's website.*

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had multiple interviews and an acceptance with a c- in gen chem lab and a c in gen chem 2

most schools require C or higher as credit for pre req

Reactions: 1 user
So could you retake the course after you have submitted your application?

So could you retake the course after you have submitted your application?
they say theyd rather you have an upward trend than retake a bunch of classes, dont waste your time retaking gen chem to balance out your previous C. take what you've learned and grow from it, dont get any more c's and focus on other areas of your app to overshadow the C

My Ochem Grades: C in first semester, D second semester, retaken to get a C+ ..... Ochem was not my subject, haha. However! I did get a 22 on the Ochem section of the DAT, I think that really helped. As long as you do decently on the DAT Gchem section you should be fine.

they say theyd rather you have an upward trend than retake a bunch of classes, dont waste your time retaking gen chem to balance out your previous C. take what you've learned and grow from it, dont get any more c's and focus on other areas of your app to overshadow the C
Who is "they"?
I had multiple interviews and an acceptance with a c- in gen chem lab and a c in gen chem 2
C- in lab is a different animal than a C- in a (lecture) course.

Who is "they"?

C- in lab is a different animal than a C- in a (lecture) course.
They are adcom, pre health advisors, people who don't waste time. Chem is different because we only take four courses, but something like bio to further my point, just show you can do the course work in upper level bio instead of retaking an entry level course. Same thing goes for chem. Disagree if you will

You need a C minimum for any pre req course.