c/o 2010: anyone STILL undecided?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pls accept me

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's less than a month to orientation and I still don't have housing because I can't decide where to go. Should have just tossed a coin in June to make it easy. :mad: :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

gapotts2003 said:
What are your choices?

And I'm sure many people on waitlists want to kill you right now. ;)
Well I'm jealous of those people got into some other schools. Somebody is going to be happy when I drop off one of the waitlist.

The two schools are instate vs outofstate and DO vs MD. I made a thread in May to ask for help and im still clueless. Argh! +pissed+

Members don't see this ad :)
unless you have specific responsibilities that tie you to your state (family illness, you don't want to uproot your spouse and kids) go MD.

1 month? Lucky bastage, my orientation starts a week from tomorrow.

If you can't decide whether or not to goto medical school, release the spots you are holding so that those who do wish to go can go. I'm sure everyone agrees that you need a 100% commitment to be in this profession. If you don't have that, then why did you apply in the first place? You're lucky you have multiple acceptances, but you can't decide where to go? Amazing!

LifetimeDoc said:
If you can't decide whether or not to goto medical school, release the spots you are holding so that those who do wish to go can go. I'm sure everyone agrees that you need a 100% commitment to be in this profession. If you don't have that, then why did you apply in the first place? You're lucky you have multiple acceptances, but you can't decide where to go? Amazing!

He never said he couldn't decide whether or not to go to school, just which school to go to. You have no basis for doubting commitment to medicine.

BlazerMed said:
He never said he couldn't decide whether or not to go to school, just which school to go to. You have no basis for doubting commitment to medicine.
Well, standing there with multiple acceptances, and announcing to pre-meds that "I just can't decide" with many pre-meds hanging on with the hopes of acceptance to the schools where he/she is holding spots just smacks of arrogance.

LifetimeDoc said:
Well, standing there with multiple acceptances, and announcing to pre-meds that I just can't decide smacks of arrogance.

I don't disagree, but what's the harm in just offering advice for his problem?

Depakote said:
This topic. With that username.

I just don't like you.

lol the 2 weren't thought up at the same time though. he was probably hanging on to the edge of his seat before getting accepted too.

How bout you tell us more about the schools. i.e. your financial aid package, location, etc. we can't help you with so little information - unless what you really want is the response you've already been given.
Pick whichever school is better for you individually and if they're even, flip a coin.
I'm guessing your instate school is the osteopathic one and the out of state one an MD, so neither school will be much cheaper.
Unless you like OMM, plan on going into primary care or sports medicine (fields that can use a lot of OMM), or have a better financial plan at the DO school, I would go to the MD school.

I've been catching several of your posts, including in my class thread. If your choice is between COMP and an out of state MD program, and you aren't really interested in DO training per se, and you don't really seem interested in COMP except that its close to home, then I'd suggest going to that MD program. Its unlikely that the MD program is more expensive than COMP.

Your support network can be built of your classmates and video chatting with friends/family.

My advice: Don't DO it!

Sorry, that was a lame joke :laugh:

argonana said:
Dartmouth hands down.

Woah, Darmouth???!! Yeah, that's a no-brainer. Dartmouth. You'll survive being away from home.

i just looked that the post history.... are you KIDDING ME? dartmouth versus DO? like i said before, unless one of your family members has a terminal illness, or you can't move your own family, go MD, especially if it's a school like dartmouth.

if you're don't want to go oos just because you're afraid of change and don't want to leave home, i think that says something about your readiness for med school in general.

it's only 4 years, suck it up, dude.

Ummm... anyone else still have this problem? Didn't intend to turn this thread into a personal one.

LifetimeDoc said:
Well, standing there with multiple acceptances, and announcing to pre-meds that "I just can't decide" with many pre-meds hanging on with the hopes of acceptance to the schools where he/she is holding spots just smacks of arrogance.
Trust me, I do feel guilt about holding more than one acceptance. I do recognize that I may be contributing to someone else's anxiety or make them spend unnecessarily on apps\moving. Trying but not succeeding in making a quick decision.

Red Beard, I already know some people at COMP and at the other programs. Going into COMP, I know that people's attitudes will be similar to the ones I grew up with. Out in the void... it looks dark and cold.

noelleruckman, The DO school gave some money, and living at home should save me money. Although I don't think Pomona is the greatest place in Southern California, it's close to many restaurants. There's the San Gabriel Valley nearby, and I'll still live in Orange County. The other place *reportedly* has one Indian restaurant and one "Chinese" place.

Kirexhana, Yes, a family member might have a terminal illness. My family just won't talk about it. I bluntly asked my mom if the relative might die in the next four years, and if the answer was yes I would stay at home. She gave a non answer as did my dad, a doctor.

pls accept me said:
Kirexhana, Yes, one of my family members might have a terminal illness. My family just won't talk about it. I bluntly asked my mom if she might die in the next four years, and if the answer was yes I would stay at home. She gave a non answer as did my dad, a doctor.

if this is truly the case, then please don't take any advice from those here on SDN. bottom line is majority of us are not dealing with situations like these and have not given things liek that any thought.

get all the info you need bout individual schools and your family, and follow your heart. best of luck brotha. :thumbup:

pls accept me said:
Ummm... anyone else still have this problem? Didn't intend to turn this thread into a personal one.

Trust me, I do feel guilt about holding more than one acceptance. I do recognize that I may be contributing to someone else's anxiety or make them spend unnecessarily on apps\moving. Trying but not succeeding in making a quick decision.

Red Beard, I already know some people at COMP and at the other programs. Going into COMP, I know that people's attitudes will be similar to the ones I grew up with. Out in the void... it looks dark and cold.

noelleruckman, The DO school gave some money, and living at home should save me money. Although I don't think Pomona is the greatest place in Southern California, it's close to many restaurants. There's the San Gabriel Valley nearby, and I'll still live in Orange County. The other place *reportedly* has one Indian restaurant and one "Chinese" place.

Kirexhana, Yes, one of my family members might have a terminal illness. My family just won't talk about it. I bluntly asked my mom if she might die in the next four years, and if the answer was yes I would stay at home. She gave a non answer as did my dad, a doctor.

regarding your peers, i think med school is going to have a lot of people that are similar to you, are some that are not, it's just something you have to deal with anywhere you go. i'm sure there will be people at COMP that you don't get along with as well. as for the "void", you won't know for sure until you're there. you might be missing out on some great people that you haven't even met yet.

omg, food is going to be a big change, but it's what i have to give up if i go to duke too. i don't think durham is exactly a sensational gastronomic location in terms of ethnic foods and neither is, what is it, new hampshire?, like i said, it's only 4 years. who knows, you might learn how to cook what you like to eat.

now i think a family member's illness is a pretty big reason to stay, but that's just cuz family means a lot to me. however, it sounds like there's a lot of uncertainty regarding what's going on with your family, that you might want to solve first.

anyway, good luck with your decision.

pls accept me said:

[
noelleruckman, The DO school gave some money, and living at home should save me money. .

So this is the kind of info that can help us help you. If you feel like you have compelling reasons, go to COMP, family health is a good reason for me.
I guess you just need to decide what you really want, and just do it. Even if its not clear cut which direction to go, sometimes you just have to decide. Its time to be decisive.

Thanks guys this has straighted out what I need to think about the next few days. To clear things up, the sick person isn't my mom.