C/O 2021 HPSP Thread (Army/AF/Navy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are HPSP recipients allowed to take out student loans? The stipend won't nearly cover the living expenses I'm about to have in LA and I need some loan money to take care of those expenses.

Members don't see this ad.

Are HPSP recipients allowed to take out student loans? The stipend won't nearly cover the living expenses I'm about to have in LA and I need some loan money to take care of those expenses.

You can take out loans as long as they don't incur a commitment to something other than the military

Reactions: 2 users
Finally received my final selection letter from the Navy. I will be commissioning in October for the "3-year" scholarship, even though the Navy is paying for all 4 years of school and I still receive the signing bonus. I hope everyone on the waitlist receives similar news this week!
That's awesome! Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They just released the numbers, it does look there are three spots just hanging out for 4 year Dental HPSP. Not sure when they will pull them but it does look like three will get pulled. Three year Dental is closed for all those that were waiting on info.

I heard that three people were pulled off the OML for the three year, is that true?

For Army they just pulled the last 5 people for the 4 year scholarship. Three year is full and no others have been pulled in a long while.

For Army they just pulled the last 5 people for the 4 year scholarship. Three year is full and no others have been pulled in a long while.
I just got off the phone with my recruiter who said that after the 15th there were 9 declines in the system and only one of them has been updated so far. That's as of about two hours ago. Are they lying to me?

Finally received my final selection letter from the Navy. I will be commissioning in October for the "3-year" scholarship, even though the Navy is paying for all 4 years of school and I still receive the signing bonus. I hope everyone on the waitlist receives similar news this week!

congrats dude. Glad it worked out ok at the end. Now go treat yourself with some new shoes or 5 star restaurant with that 20k bonus :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is there a typical unofficial number for the rough amount of individuals left on the OML for the 4 year that you may provide?

I just got off the phone with my recruiter who said that after the 15th there were 9 declines in the system and only one of them has been updated so far. That's as of about two hours ago. Are they lying to me?

I have no idea how they are seeing declines. That is center based, so maybe they have access to something that I do not.

Wah, how is this a thing? Do you have to work 4-years in active or only 3 in your case?

If I understand correctly, this is why the Navy doesn't take new applications for the 3-year. They pull 20 people off the 4-year waitlist and start their funding at the beginning of the next fiscal year (October). Because the Navy is paying for 4 years of school, I will have a 4 year active duty commitment after I graduate.

No. You owe four years because you took the bonus. It matters not that you have a 4, 3, 2, or one year scholarship, if you take the bonus you owe four years.

Attachments

• HPSP CSAB approval.pdf
    97.6 KB · Views: 88
I thought I had sent you a PM earlier that pretty much said you either have a three year scholarship, or a four year. You cannot sign a contract and have retroactive entitlements. You cannot sign a contract that states that the Navy is giving you a three year scholarship and have the Navy pay for all four years. It simply won't happen. You or your recruiter are mistaken.

In the past, the Army used to allow someone to sign a contract in October, and start paying for school in January. We called it a 3.5 year scholarship. The contract clearly stated that in return for 3.5 years of academic scholarship, you would owe 3.5 years of active service and 4.5 years of Reserve Service. Because the program is now so robust, the half year scholarship is no longer an option in the Army.

Obligation is based on the amount of scholarship. If the Navy pays for one day over three years (stipend or tuition or both) you will owe 3.5 years of payback. If they pay for one day over 3.5 you will owe four.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had everything set to apply for the Navy 4 Year back at the start of 2017, but didn't receive a LOA until April and June, so I missed the last board in March. I was going to apply for the 3 year but just received an email from my recruiter saying there will be no 3 year HPSP this year for the Navy. Does anyone know if there will still be 3 Year HPSP slots available for the Army this year?

I had everything set to apply for the Navy 4 Year back at the start of 2017, but didn't receive a LOA until April and June, so I missed the last board in March. I was going to apply for the 3 year but just received an email from my recruiter saying there will be no 3 year HPSP this year for the Navy. Does anyone know if there will still be 3 Year HPSP slots available for the Army this year?

Yes there are 15 slots for the Army, did you already do your physical? I would be happy to get you ready if you already have that done. Either way send me a private message and I will get you started.

Quick question: is your recruiter allowed to tell you where you sit on the OML list (like your ranking)?

The OML list is ranked at the board by HSD. Those rankings never come down to the recruiter level. We just don't have access to that info.

What would happen if an applicant applied for the 4-year HPSP and they accepted the $20k bonus, BUT they ended up getting accepted to UoP?

What would happen if an applicant applied for the 4-year HPSP and they accepted the $20k bonus, BUT they ended up getting accepted to UoP?

If you want the bonus you have to do the 4 year obligation. Or you can give up the bonus and only do a three year contract if you get selected for the three year scholarship.

How long does it take to receive access for MODS???

That is pretty much to you, you create your own account. https://www.mods.army.mil/medicaleducation/

Register for an account then go to the student handbook tab and look at chapter 1 paragraph 1-3 for instructions.

However it will be up to your recruiter to make sure all the enrollment documents are in order.

That is pretty much to you, you create your own account. https://www.mods.army.mil/medicaleducation/

Register for an account then go to the student handbook tab and look at chapter 1 paragraph 1-3 for instructions.

However it will be up to your recruiter to make sure all the enrollment documents are in order.

Do I need a CAC card in order to access MODS?? I also rented a laptop, would I need to submit my reimbursement request prior to the end of the fiscal year?

Do I need a CAC card in order to access MODS?? I also rented a laptop, would I need to submit my reimbursement request prior to the end of the fiscal year?
I never use my CAC card to access MODS. You can submit your reimbursement right now if you wanted.

My next question is (apologies if this has been asked a million times): could I just rent a laptop without the dean's letter or certification?

Thanks all.

Does anyone know if we are supposed to get CAC cards for Navy HPSP? I thought so, but when I called the ID office they only have me in the system for a reserve ID. If so, how do we get the CAC card instead of the reserve ID?

Does anyone know if we are supposed to get CAC cards for Navy HPSP? I thought so, but when I called the ID office they only have me in the system for a reserve ID. If so, how do we get the CAC card instead of the reserve ID?

You don't get a CAC unless on active duty or activated.

My next question is (apologies if this has been asked a million times): could I just rent a laptop without the dean's letter or certification?

Thanks all.

If you want to be reimbursed, you need proof of requirement. If your school has a laptop requirement policy, you can screenshot and submit that.

Last edited:
If you want to be reimbursed, you need proof of requirement. If your school has a laptop requirement policy, you can screenshot and submit that.
Would an email stating a laptop is required be sufficient you think?

Would an email stating a laptop is required be sufficient you think?

I would think yes, forwarding an e-mail from a school administrator would be sufficient proof of requirement. I mean, I literally took a screenshot of my school's requirement and sent it in, and it got approved no questions asked.

If there are any issues, worst case scenario, they'll ask you for more proof in which case you can ask someone at your school for the requirement on letterhead. Shouldn't be an issue.

I would think yes, forwarding an e-mail from a school administrator would be sufficient proof of requirement. I mean, I literally took a screenshot of my school's requirement and sent it in, and it got approved no questions asked.

If there are any issues, worst case scenario, they'll ask you for more proof in which case you can ask someone at your school for the requirement on letterhead. Shouldn't be an issue.
So I send in a screenshot and a reimbursement form? I have never done a reimbursement before. Also if I purchase textbooks on amazon do I screenshot the order confirmation/billing and send that with the same reimbursement form? Do I include the class syllabus or just a screenshot of required books?

So I send in a screenshot and a reimbursement form? I have never done a reimbursement before. Also if I purchase textbooks on amazon do I screenshot the order confirmation/billing and send that with the same reimbursement form? Do I include the class syllabus or just a screenshot of required books?

Depends on your branch. Each branch has its own reimbursement process.

For my branch, you submit a packet containing the following:
1. A form where you write the name and cost of each item, and then total it up at the end
2. Proof of requirement
3. Proof of payment - (Amazon invoice applies here)
4. Electronic Funds Transfer authorization

Depends on your branch. Each branch has its own reimbursement process.

For my branch, you submit a packet containing the following:
1. A form where you write the name and cost of each item, and then total it up at the end
2. Proof of requirement
3. Proof of payment - (Amazon invoice applies here)
4. Electronic Funds Transfer authorization
Proof of requirement doesn't always require a Deans certificate? It can be in another form like syllabus or screenshots?

Also I have never heard of the electronic funds transfer before. Is this way the Navy? Sorry for all my questions. I have read the student handbook, but it is kind of confusing at first.

Proof of requirement doesn't always require a Deans certificate? It can be in another form like syllabus or screenshots?

Also I have never heard of the electronic funds transfer before. Is this way the Navy? Sorry for all my questions. I have read the student handbook, but it is kind of confusing at first.

Yes, proof of requirement can be syllabus, etc.

I was talking about the way the Air Force does things. Our branches don't match unfortunately.

Hopefully someone on the Navy program can chime in and help you out with your branch's specifics.

Not sure if you've taken a look at this website yet, but it has pretty much everything you need to know. If you can't find your answer on the accessions website, you could try emailing the HPSP director who emailed you the welcome email.

http://www.med.navy.mil/Accessions/Pages/Reimbursement.aspx

Hey does anyone know if HSCP (NOT HPSP) for 2021 for the Navy is closed for Medical Students? I am getting some conflicting information. Thank you

Hey does anyone know if HSCP (NOT HPSP) for 2021 for the Navy is closed for Medical Students? I am getting some conflicting information. Thank you
I recommend looking in the medical forums as opposed to the dental forums.

does anyone know we have to do those lhi personal health (medical/dental) assesments every year we are in dental school?

Anyone that was selected for hpsp or hscp with lower than average stats mind sharing their gpa and dat score? I understand the boards use the whole person concept when selecting but I am just curious. I have been accepted to dental school (expensive private school) and am worried about how I will pay for it. Applying for 4 year Navy HPSP with 3.59 gpa and 19AA

Anyone that was selected for hpsp or hscp with lower than average stats mind sharing their gpa and dat score? I understand the boards use the whole person concept when selecting but I am just curious. I have been accepted to dental school (expensive private school) and am worried about how I will pay for it. Applying for 4 year Navy HPSP with 3.59 gpa and 19AA

Sure thing! Well, to be honest I didn't have lower than average but from talking to a few recruiters I learned that my dat score was the low end of what they usually accept at 22. Kinda wierd. Not saying thats the rule, just my anecdotal experience. I can speak to the thought of paying for an expensive private school, however. I currently attend Midwestern University in Glendale AZ, debatably one of the most expensive school's out there. I went in without a scholarship, but I eventually received a 3 year. So, I can empathize with your current position. Honestly, it comes down to what you want. If you want dental school and to be a dentist enough, it may just be the price you pay if that's the only school you end up getting into. It may take some sacrifice down the line like living pretty frugally for a while after school, or stretching your loan out to a longer period of time, but if you want it then it's kinda hard getting around the fact that it's gonna cost a crap ton of money. My personal advice is to look at the money aspect as a nice bonus to serving in the military, not the core factor to consider. I had to accept that the cost of education just was what it was and I would live with it, scholarship or not. Barring any debate about the politics of tuition increasing at riddiculously high rates over the past few decades because that's not gonna change in the short term, it's pretty much up to you doing what you're comfortable with. I would recommend finding a free financial literacy class if you feel under prepared to handle it. Let me know if this helped or if you have any other follow up questions.

I really appreciate your feedback! The school I will most likely be attending is Midwestern University Illinois which I’m assuming is pretty similar in terms of COA. Not quite sure how similar otherwise. But based on your response it looks like my chances are slim with the scholarship. I have no second thoughts about dentistry and am not even applying for hpsp just for the money but I’ll try to stay positive regardless of the outcome. Thanks again

I really appreciate your feedback! The school I will most likely be attending is Midwestern University Illinois which I’m assuming is pretty similar in terms of COA. Not quite sure how similar otherwise. But based on your response it looks like my chances are slim with the scholarship. I have no second thoughts about dentistry and am not even applying for hpsp just for the money but I’ll try to stay positive regardless of the outcome. Thanks again

Oh nice! Yeah I'm pretty sure COA is similar, and I know the curriculum there is slowly being changed over to our model so by the time you get there it will probably be pretty similar. It sounds like you've got your mind in order then, which is half the battle. you could also look into the other scholarship options, I can't remember their names but there are some in Indian health, community health, those kinds of things. Keep it up, you're gonna do great :) have a great Sunday!

What is HPSP?

Health Professional Scholarship Program. In exchange for scholarship benefits, you serve as a commissioned officer/dentist in the military for every year you receive said benefits during school.

Why should I join HPSP?
1. Full tuition + fee covered
a. ANY Public or Private fully accredited dental school (touro no go)
b. Including but not limited to: Loupes (1 per career), NBDE Part 1+2, health Insurance (variable), sim clinic supplies (variable)
c. Doesn't include: Licensure Exam (WREB,NERB, etc.)
2. Stipend
a. Stipend for 10.5 months ~ 2.2k per month
b. O1 Active Duty pay for 1.5 months ~ 3k per month
3. Pay during service years on O3 pay rank
Summary: Army - What does an Army dentist make?

How do I apply?
Contact a recruiter. That means picking up to the phone to call a nearby recruiting office for officer . Asks specifically to talk to a health service recruiter. You CANNOT avoid a recruiter; there is absolutely no other way to apply.

There are three branches offering the scholarship: Air Force, Army, and Navy. Each branch runs their own applications process, so you need to contact a recruiter from each respective branch to start the process.

When should I apply?
For the four year scholarship, contact a recruiter no later than June of your application cycle year.
For the three year scholarship, contact a recruiter during the summer you matriculate into D1. Or rollover from a wait list the previous year.

Reason: Army/Navy/Air Force holds their first selection board around December. Depending on circumstances, as early as October. The application will take anywhere from couple of weeks to couple of months to prepare; expect couple of months on average. If you have a hiccup (big or small, medical related or not), expect an even longer process. It is "rolling admission", but punctuality is more important for HPSP admission than dental school admission in my experience.

What are my chances?
No good answer. All I can say is that it is getting more and more competitive with each passing year. Most recruiters I work with thinks a 3.5+ and 20+ DAT is "competitive", whatever that means.

You also need to have a clean record, good medical history, can pass height/weight standard, good EC, do well on your interview

How many spots?
I am not going to provide a number because it changes too often and there are too much variable. For the four year scholarship, army is in the hundreds, navy is below hundred, air force is dozen or two. However, that doesn't paint the whole picture because these branches still offer three year scholarships. Yet, I have never seen anyone give an estimate on those. Despite the low 4 year scholarship numbers, the Air Force definitely hand out majority of their scholarships as three year and two year scholarships.

Can I apply to all three branches?
YES
However, some recruiters will try to tell you that they wont work with you if they find out that you are applying to multiple branches.
Your options are to either bend over, working it out with your recruiter, or find a new recruiter.

What are the difference between the three branches?

The details of the scholarship is mostly the same: Enter as an O3 and serve as a dentist for every year you're on the scholarship.

However, the difference between the three branches is not to be understated. Culture, location, and regulations are very different. Read up on it because anything I say wont do it justice. For starters, consider length of deployment, where can you be deployed, how you will be deployed (ship or nah?), location of the base, etc.

As for as HPSP is concern, Army and Navy is near identical regarding HPSP. AF has more nuances in their contract. For starters, AF doesn't offer a 20k (pre-tax) bonus for signing a 4 year contract while Army/Navy does. Also, the AF contract states that you are required to apply to an 1 year AEGD and ACCEPT the position if selected. This clause was recently added to new AF HPSP contracts within the last 1-2 years. Who knows if anyone can wiggle their way out of accepting the position, but it is clearly stated in the contract.

What if I want to specialize?
You have two option:
1. Enter a civilian specialty program
2. Enter a military specialty program

If you choose to go with option 1, you need to request your branch to allow you to defer service to enter the civilian program. This request might or might not be approved depending on the needs of your branch. No guarantees.

If you choose option 2, you apply via your branch. The available spots will depend on the needs of the branch. Meaning, if you want to be an orthodontist and the Navy don't need anymore orthodontist, then tough luck. The advantage of military specialty program beside excellent training is that you are still an active duty member earning your rank's pay.

If you choose to specialize (including AEGD/ GPR), every year you specialize is a neutral year. Meaning, your years in training will not count towards your payback years. If you owe 4 years, and you do OMFS training for 4 years, you would have been serving for 8 years.

So 4 year scholarship is 4 year payback, 3 is 3, and 2 is 2? Right?
Not exactly.

In the air force, the minimum payback is three years. A two year scholarship is actually three years payback. Army/Navy don't offer two year scholarships as far as I know.

For all three branches, your payback is actually 8 years. Your payback years will be served out as active duty years. The remaining of those years, you will be inserted into Individual Ready Reserve. That means the military have the right to call you back to serve at anytime when you're an IRR. People say that no dentist has ever been called back from IRR.

What other options are there to serve in the military as a dentist?

In addition to the 60 HPSP slots, the Navy offers about 20 HCSP slots. Instead of paying for tuition, they pay you an E6 salary (potentially E7 if you recruit) for 4 years in exchange for 4 years of service. Generally the pay won't cover most public and definitely not any privates. However, you earn more during active duty than HPSP peers because those years count when factoring in officer pay. You also have to deal with more military stuff during school as a HCSP recipient that I am not familiar with.

Another option is direct accession. Not taking any scholarships, but going into a branch as a dentist after graduating. Not familiar with it, but the possibility is out there.

How accurate is this information?
Should be within the ballpark this year. However, be warned that details can change drastically within a year. Listen to your recruiter. Keep one eye open.

I definitely didn't cover everything so ask questions
So if you have the scholarship for 4 years then you have to pay back 8 years and your time in dental school isnt included in that? So if I graduate at 26 then I'll be in the military paying it back until I'm 34 because 8 year payback?

So if you have the scholarship for 4 years then you have to pay back 8 years and your time in dental school isnt included in that? So if I graduate at 26 then I'll be in the military paying it back until I'm 34 because 8 year payback?
No. 4 years is on active duty, ie your full time job. The last 4 years is in the individual ready reserve, which means you are available in the event of some enormous military mobilization. This is highly unlikely, so your true commitment is basically 4 years.

I have personally never met anyone being recalled from IRR.

No. 4 years is on active duty, ie your full time job. The last 4 years is in the individual ready reserve, which means you are available in the event of some enormous military mobilization. This is highly unlikely, so your true commitment is basically 4 years.