C.O. 2023 what to do with step? Unranked med school interested in competitive specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FishermanDon99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to make another post about this but am hoping to hear from people on residency admissions boards or who have heard directly from them. What is the wisdom for someone who may be allowed to choose between P/F and getting a score? I know scores wont be retroactively blinded according to the AAMC but does that mean residency programs won't/can't blind them themselves? I was planning on taking a gap year in the case I got a stellar score and could qualify for Plastics/derm especially considering my school doesn't have a plastics department. How would my score be viewed compared with all of the CO 2024 without scores? If I take Step 1 P/F what can I do to stand out otherwise - aside from research which most people will be doing anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be high in class rank
What is the opinion of admissions people? Will they be allowed to blind your scores if I am to take a year off? Do you recommend taking it for score or for P/F.

Research, research, research !
That will set you apart

Reactions: 1 user