c/o 2026 WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BiranM54

MS State CVM c/o 2026!
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm 23, this is my first time applying, and I'm trying to get a feel for what to expect through this whole process. My in-state is Tufts but I don't think I'll be applying there. They aren't the most robust but here are my current stats:

Most likely applying (in no particular order): Michigan State, University of Georgia, North Carolina State, University of Pennsylvania, Western, University of Illinois, Auburn

GPA:
Undergrad - B.S. Pre-veterinary Sciences: 3.478
Grad - M.S. Business & Analytics: 3.768 (after 2/3 semesters; graduate in May)
Last 45 - TBD in May

GRE (q/v/w): 163 (80%) / 160 (85%) / 5.0 (92%)

Veterinary Experience:
1,000 hours (and counting) employment, veterinary technician at a small animal + exotics clinic
200 hours shadowing a small animal vet
20 hours shadowing a zoo vet

Animal Experience:
400 hours animal care intern at Stone Zoo
75 hours dairy calf herd management course

Research:
None :(

Awards & Honors:
Dean's List (x4)

LoR:
1 from my undergraduate academic advisor
2 from veterinarians I work with currently
1 from a previous employer

Employment:
1,000+ hours small animal + exotic veterinary technician
275 hours small animal hospital receptionist
750 hours bus driver during undergrad
Server/Hostess (x2 different positions)

The list of schools is likely to change and I accept any/all suggestions or constructive criticisms. Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you've got a fair shot. I don't know how schools will weight the MS grades tbh, so can't really comment on how your academic will look over all. But your experience is good. Maybe look into getting some large animal/equine if you can.

Can you talk about the reasoning behind your choices for the schools you're planning to apply to?

I think you've got a fair shot. I don't know how schools will weight the MS grades tbh, so can't really comment on how your academic will look over all. But your experience is good. Maybe look into getting some large animal/equine if you can.

Can you talk about the reasoning behind your choices for the schools you're planning to apply to?
Thanks so much for the response! I have coursework with large animal and some of the zoo experience included farm work, forgot to include that in the original post.

Honestly, my list of schools is still currently any and all, those are just the programs I picked based on acceptance stats. Not 100% sure on any program specifics yet but I’m still doing research while I finalize my list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the response! I have coursework with large animal and some of the zoo experience included farm work, forgot to include that in the original post.

Honestly, my list of schools is still currently any and all, those are just the programs I picked based on acceptance stats. Not 100% sure on any program specifics yet but I’m still doing research while I finalize my list.
Looking for where your stats match up is good! I'd cross reference those stats with Cost of education (VIN has a great map for this). For instance, Penn is going to be one of the most expensive options for a MA resident. So that is definitely something to consider.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking for where your stats match up is good! I'd cross reference those stats with Cost of education (VIN has a great map for this). For instance, Penn is going to be one of the most expensive options for a MA resident. So that is definitely something to consider.
Western is also one that I don't know fits with the expense considerations. Why is this on your application list?

Reactions: 1 user
Western is also one that I don't know fits with the expense considerations. Why is this on your application list?
Just saw this, sorry! Same for Western as the rest of them, I mostly have looked at where my stats line up for right now and haven’t looked much at costs yet. I definitely need to fine tune my list.