C/P Section Bank Q8???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wtf? I have no idea how they got the answer to this question!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 8.25.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 8.25.02 PM.png
    222.8 KB · Views: 62
"The excess energy is absorbed by the solution" is the key statement. If the excess energy is absorbed by the solution, there is none left to reach the meter.

This was a particularly nasty question and I missed it as well. Here is my best explanation:

Lets say you are trying to break the OH bond on a molecule b/c you theorize that your mystery molecule contains an OH bond. Now lets say the value required to break that bond is 10, so you send a photon with a value of 12 to break it.

10 of the 12 units get used up breaking the bond, leaving +2 units left over to heat the solution. Well you have now used up all the energy in that initial photon so there is none left to reach the meter.

The point of this setup is that those 2 units of "extra" energy will cause a temperature change in the solution, which produces a subsequent sound wave that is then picked up by the microphone and sent to the oscilloscope. Then the amplitude of that wave tells you "bingo, you were right, it was an OH bond." You then go on to win the Nobel prize and come back to SDN to to receive the first "verified Nobel Prize Winner" avatar tag.

Reactions: 1 user