C = retake or take higher level course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chebella7604

Baby
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I got a C in Calculus when I was a freshman (cause I didn't care about doing well at the time and didn't bother to show up for the final). Should I redo Calculus 1 or take Calculus 2? Is it better to replace the C with an A? Or to do well in Calculus 2? I really don't have a personal preference, redoing Calc 1 should be easy and Calc 2 would be interesting... What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Will your school completely replace the C or will it list both grades on your transcript? If the school would completely replace the C (no evidence of it on your transcript), I'd take Calc I. Otherwise, Calc II.

I was in a similar dilemma, as I got a B- in Bio II. I considered retaking it, but was strongly advised to take a higher level Bio class and get an A.

Will your school completely replace the C or will it list both grades on your transcript? If the school would completely replace the C (no evidence of it on your transcript), I'd take Calc I. Otherwise, Calc II.

Doesn't matter how your school treats it. For AMCAS purposes you have to include both the original grade and the retake. For DO purposes you get to just use the retake grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS is going to take into account both grades. Take the higher level course and show you can do the work. No use going back and retaking it w/ a C.

Hi all, I got a C in Calculus when I was a freshman (cause I didn't care about doing well at the time and didn't bother to show up for the final). Should I redo Calculus 1 or take Calculus 2? Is it better to replace the C with an A? Or to do well in Calculus 2? I really don't have a personal preference, redoing Calc 1 should be easy and Calc 2 would be interesting... What do you guys think?

I would not re-take this course. Take Calculus 2 (easier than Calculus 1) and don't look back. One C is not going to tank your application. Loads of them will bring down your uGPA. I would move forward and not look back especially with a solid grade (nothing less than B+) in Calc 2.

I would not re-take this course. Take Calculus 2 (easier than Calculus 1) and don't look back. One C is not going to tank your application. Loads of them will bring down your uGPA. I would move forward and not look back especially with a solid grade (nothing less than B+) in Calc 2.
Calc 2 easier than Calc 1?????!?!?!? where are you from, Calc 2 was harddd.

Yeah seriously, Calc 2 was probably one of the most difficult classes I've ever taken. Harder than higher math (Calc III, IV).

I took calc 2 my first semester and got a C+, which dragged my GPA down that semester to a 3.1. I was debating whether to retake it (not knowing at the time that my school will only replace grades of C- or lower), but my parents convinced me to let it go and move on. I got an A- the next semester in calc 3, and maintained 3.8+ every semester since. I have 3 interview invites and 1 rejection. I guess my advice is to forget about retaking it and move on- you'll be fine.

According to my premed advisor, it is a waste of time to retake a class if you got a C. Just make sure you try to do better in your other classes. Additionally, he said that if you feel that you could have done better with the subject material, then one could try taking a another course that was correlative in material, i.e. if someone got a C in orgo, a higher grade in biochem may help to offset the 'damage', so to speak, by the lower grade.

Careful now, njbmd is an academic physician (possibly on an adcom too..not sure though) so, I think she might know what she is talking about. And I must agree, Calc 2 was easier than Calc 1...regardless, kill Calc 2 and you should be fine.

Doesn't matter how your school treats it. For AMCAS purposes you have to include both the original grade and the retake. For DO purposes you get to just use the retake grade.

Do you think that many people would list a bad grade which had been replaced on their transcript?

C's aren't kisses of death, especially if you can show an upward trend toward the end of your college career. I'd just take it and move on, but make sure you don't accumulate too many in the upper level sciences as that may look bad.

Well C's aren't kisses of death but be ready to explain the reason you got a C during your medical school interview......I would recommend you not waste your time retaking..Just take an upper level class that is harder and make sure you get an A ...I just had an interview and I had to explain why I made a C in real estate and why I had some W's.....

Goodluck

Is it too late to show an upward trend after this semester? I have 2 years left.

3.93, then this semester:

Organic I - B (possible to get an A)
Organic I lab - B
Physics - B
Biology - C

I got a C and two B's my freshman year so my GPA then was crap. I just took the C and spent the last three years pulling it up and now I have a 3.84 and got into A&M med school. C's are definitely not completely disastrous for your transcript especially if you got it as a freshman and have plenty of time to pull up your GPA.

Is it too late to show an upward trend after this semester? I have 2 years left.

3.93, then this semester:

Organic I - B (possible to get an A)
Organic I lab - B
Physics - B
Biology - C

You have a 3.93, one C will not kill you. Especially if you've got 2 years left.

Wow! Really? This means that GPA comparisons between MD and DO programs are equivalent. I think it's good (assuming it's not 3 or 4 retakes for a class), but just didn't know it was the case.

+1 Move forward.