c3.48 s3.34, CA Resident :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aetherius

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you a US citizen or green card holder?

Your GPAs right now are in line with those of the average matriculating DO student (3.47/3.36). Without an MCAT score stronger than what you anticipate, and some GPA repair, an MD acceptance is much, much less likely.

For ECs, while otherwise solid, would be improved with more clinical experience and some physician shadowing, which should include a DO. A scribing position could cover both nicely, but a more personal relationship with a DO mentor would help you get the often required physician LOR. Your state AOA could help you find one.

Hello.

I will be a US citizen by the time applications are sent in.

Is there still a chance for me to go the MD route? I am mostly considering OOS as I know acceptance in CA schools is very limited.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a high MCAT score and recent 2 or 3-semester steep upward grade trend in college, you might have a shot at MD. Or, an MCAT over 30 and completion of a Special Masters Program or a year of mostly upper-level science Postbac (either with with GPA > 3.7) could be another route, if the additional expense wouldn't be a bar.

The CA MD schools are pretty rigorous, so I don't think you'd have much luck with them, although with a rocking high MCAT (>36), you never know.

However, you'd be solid candidate for either Western or Touro-CA [the DO schools], if you want to stay in CA. If DO isn't for you, try a post-bac.

A little background story before everything else:

I pretty much wanted to be a doctor ever since I was little. I grew up in the Philippines, went here for college (started out at a community college) then transferred to UCLA. Upon transferring, however, my grades suffered a bit (I'll peruse on the details later) but I basically ended up with a:

3.48 cumulative GPA
3.34 science GPA
What are my chances?