c3.82 s? Retired Army PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strumzilla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A bit of background -

I'm a non-trad (read, old) pre-premed. I'm a retired Army PA with 14 yrs exp, B.S, MPAS, and MPH degrees. My cumulative for everything is 3.82. I don't know how to calculate the science GPA since I'm not sure how much consideration they give to the PA curriculum since it mirrors med school (in breadth, not depth).

My PA school final GPA was 3.68, but I made a lot of B's (never a C) early on (basic sciences like gen chem and biochem). I had a steady upward trend and my clinical year was a 3.97 (one B+) to finish with the 3.68. My pre PA school and graduate degrees were 4.0.

I've got to go back and take or repeat most of the pre-reqs because I either never had them, had shorter versions, or it's been so long I need the review. I plan on taking a few years to do this (need to sell a house so I can afford to be a full time student/part time PA) with the goal of applying for the 2015 academic year. Taking the courses will also be my primary means of MCAT prep, although I'll also use an MCAT focused study program/plan as well.

I'm a Texas resident/vet and will be using all the federal/state benefits available to me. Any of the Texas schools would meet my goal, but I may apply OOS if it seems advisable.

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback, especially from others in (or know someone) a similar situation.

Members don't see this ad.

not sure what your question is. As long as you do well on your prereqs and mcat, you won't have any problems. be ready to explain in incredibly and nauseating detail on why you are making the change from PA to MD/DO. They will likely hammer you about it. Other than that, you should be good.

No specific question, just wanted some feedback from anyone who has insight. I get the "Why MD?" question from most of the physicians I discuss my goal with, so your advice is consistent with what I've heard. I appreciate it.

My simplest answer is I want to learn more and become a better clinician. While this is what I strive to do every day as a PA, I want to go through the structured intense program of medical school and have another look at the various specialties. Not to say I wouldn't go into primary care, I just want the additional depth. I would also like to learn about the changes in medicine since I graduated school in 1998 (genetic research, new tech/equip, surgical techniques, etc).

I've also experienced a decreased level of autonomy as a civilian PA compared to my military experience (not saying it's universal, just my experience). I prefer to be in a position of more authority/autonomy because it's what I was trained and expected to do during my military career. Money is essentially trivial in that I make a very comfortable living already and the additional salary wouldn't change my current lifestyle.