1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

CA List of Approved Schools

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by JonnyBGood, Oct 24, 2002.

1. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood New Member

Hi!

Where can I find a list of the CA approved foreign med schools? Is it available online?

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Stephen Ewen

10+ Year Member

4. doctamon

doctamon Member
    7+ Year Member

There is no listing of approved schools at that website. They WILL however answer questions about specific schools if you contact them. I got this from a post that I thought was on SDN, but I can't seem to find it.

MEDICAL BOARD OF CALIFORNIA
    DIVISION OF LICENSING

RECOGNIZED CARIBBEAN/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC MEDICAL SCHOOLS

American University of the Caribbean, St. Maarten (formerly
    Montserrat,
    W.I.)
    Ross University, Dominica
    St. George's University, Grenada

Autonomous University of Santo Domingo
    Central University of the East (UCE)
    Instituto Tecnologico de Santo Domingo (INTEC)
    National University of Pedro Henriquez Urena
    Nordestana University
    Mother and Master Catholic University

University of the West Indies
    State University of Haiti

DISAPPROVED SCHOOLS

CETEC University, Santo Domingo (closed) - disapproved 5/19/83

CIFAS University, Santo Domingo (closed) - disapproved 11/16/84

UTESA University, Santo Domingo - disapproved 7/13/85; disapproval
    order
    modified 5/10/91; disapproved 2/7/97.

World University, Santo Domingo (closed) - disapproved 12/1/89

Spartan Health Sciences University, St. Lucia - disapproved 6/13/85

University of Health Sciences Antigua, St. John's - disapproved
    7/28/95

Universidad Eugenio Maria de Hostos (UNIREMHOS), Dom. Rep. -
    (disapproved 11/1/96)

Universidad Federico Henriquez y Carvajal, Dom. Rep. - (disapproved
    7/31/9

I believe it to be current and correct, but I am not 100% sure. Notice that it only lists Caribbean schools. I know that UAG in Guadalajara is approved as well as a number of other Mexican schools. European programs aren't mentioned, but be careful because some native programs (esp. in Eastern Europe) are approved, but their English language counterparts are not.

To get the full story, call the board and speak to Pat Park. She is the Foreign Med School Liasion and knows all the ins and outs. She will tell you the truth.

5. Stephen Ewen

10+ Year Member

Indeed, it is not available on-line--and believe me, I have spent considerable effort trying to find it all delineated in an on-line document.

However, as doctamon informs, you can find all the info you need from the proverbial "horses mouth," and from contacts gleaned at the above official site.

BTW, if you have released to you any semblance of a list beyond what is already posted concerning carib-region schools--and following the history of posts here and elsewhere, that info originally came from an e-mail from Pat Parks to an individual inquirer--please post it here for the good benefit of others.:)

6. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

All 5 or 6 year medical programs in England and Ireland are approved.

From what I gathered, NONE of the 4 year accelerated programs in England are approved, including Oxford. They are not even in the 2 year process of trying to get approval. This sort of sucks b/c I'm applying there. I guess I will withdraw my application :(

7. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

i assume every state is different. why the concern over cali? b/c many carribbean students are from cali?

8. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The concern over California is that to begin a residency (or quite frankly, even to have your application reviewed) in California you must have a "California letter". To obtain the letter, one of the first steps is that you must have attended an approved school - this usually requires that the state have done a site visit, approved the curriculum, etc. So, for those who want to do a California residency, it is important to make sure that your school is approved.

9. poi_and_beyond

poi_and_beyond Junior Member

Hi!
    I know the German 6 year programs are ok-I just got my Calif. letter and I studied there.
    I would just call up the CA medical board and ask for the specific school you're attending/thinking of going to.
    If no one picks up, leave a message-they actually call back, but it might take a week or so.
    I don't have the number anywhere near, but just call information and ask.
    And don't be intimidated-it took me 9 months to clear all the paperwork, but the people on the board are very knowledgeable and if you're documents are ok won't give you any problems.
    It's just really expensive and time-consuming...
    Good luck and never give up, e

10. doctamon

doctamon Member
    7+ Year Member

Actually, if your school is not approved by California, you cannot do anything there. That is, you can't do clinicals, residency or be licensed once you have been licensed and/or board certified elsewhere.:mad:

11. gumperoncini

gumperoncini New Member