CA places to take the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scubadiva

postwhore
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which places any of you have taken the MCAT (within the LOs Angeles region). Is there a location that you would recommend? Were there facilities that you absolutely hated? My choices to take the MCAT are USC, Pomona College, Claremont McKenna College, and UCI. If you have any info, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Bear in mind that it has been eight years or so since I took the MCAT. I think I took the MCAT at UCI. I didn't really like the room that we were put in. We were in one of the big lecture halls and the desks were really small. I remember some friends told me that they had a good experience taking the MCAT at the community college in Irvine (Concord on Jamboree?). They said that you get a huge table all to yourself. Personally, I don't like the USC area so I wouldn't take it there.

I have no experience with the MCAT, but it was the same when I took the OAT in October. I took it at Berkeley (the only choice in my area other than a small school in SF) and the heat didn't work, it was small half desks, the girl next to me sniffed the whole time (get a kleenex!), but the proctors were really nice! I would recommend taking it at a smaller school like the others said.. smaller groups are usually better than cold cramped ampitheaters. (and they usually have the long tables rather than individual small desks)

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the test (two years ago) at Claremont McKenna and I had no problems with the setting. You are put in a large room (i.e. 300 seats) but it's very quite due to everyone is quite serious when taking test.

I hope this helps and good luck,

pat

hello!

i took a review course which did practice tests at UCI....tiny room, desks squeezed together...no fun. Seriously, if anyone in the room had on an aftershavem the whole room was nauseous.

BUT...i did my undergrad at Chapman University in Orange, and the building and room you will be in is gorgeous. I had an entire 12-foot desk to myself in a comfortable well-lit room. think about it.

Just FYI with respect to Dagny's post, I was told by the AAMC folks that the Stanford testing center (my first choice) has been closed. Bummer. However, they will be testing at Santa Clara Univ.

-J

I also took it at Claremont McKenna College.

As someone mentioned before, it was a big room w/ row of long tables.

I liked the experience there, for I had no problem concetrating and finishing the test.

How far do you live from all the schools you mentioned?

Originally posted by innerpower:
[QB]I also took it at Claremont McKenna College.

As someone mentioned before, it was a big room w/ row of long tables.

Just curious for those of you who took it at Claremont McKenna, but how long ago did you take the MCAT here? I live less than 20 minutes away, so it would be really convenient to register to take it here. Thanks!!!

Thanks so much. I am probably going to take the MCAT at Claremont McKenna. It's less than 20 minutes away, so it'll be really convenient too. I hope that I get to test under the same conditions as those of you who "liked" the experience. Thanks a bunch!!! Now, all I have to worry about is studying for the thing. :eek: