CA ppl- took pcat, but didn't enroll in pcat required school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rivatnt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did any California ppl take the PCAT because you thought you couldn't get into an in-state school? Did you actually get into a school that does not require the PCAT, kinda making all the time and effort studying for/taking the pcat pointless?

Members don't see this ad.

I know I read somewhere on UCSF or UCSD's website saying that the pcat is not required, but they will look still look at your score and consider it for admissions purposes. So basically, if you did well they'll like you more!

blizz said:
I know I read somewhere on UCSF or UCSD's website saying that the pcat is not required, but they will look still look at your score and consider it for admissions purposes. So basically, if you did well they'll like you more!

And if you don't do well, will they see your schools as well? I'm also from California (San Francisco-- born and raised) and although I'd more than love to stay in the state, the schools here are very competitive and hard to get into. I'm trying to maximize my chances and I'm also considering applying out of state. I have a few friends that are pharmacists and they've recommended specific out of state schools in places like:

-Washington - not the Washington state though
-Arizona
-New Mexico
-Illinois- Chicago
-North Carlina- Chapel Hill
-UTA(Univ. of Texas Austin)
-Wisconsin
-Michigan
-Oregon State

I have no idea about how good these schools are (I still have to do my homework.. -_-), but which schools were you looking into applying to? I totally agree with you that studying for the PCATS will be a great investment in time, especially if you're still in school... I'm also curious to find out about the success rates of people from California that apply out of state...

Also-- I clearly remember my biology counselor telling me that schools that do NOT require PCATS will simply NOT look at your scores because they already have enough paperwork and applicants and could care less how you did in something they simply did not require.

Members don't see this ad :)
raymadeyourday said:
And if you don't do well, will they see your schools as well? I'm also from California (San Francisco-- born and raised) and although I'd more than love to stay in the state, the schools here are very competitive and hard to get into. I'm trying to maximize my chances and I'm also considering applying out of state. I have a few friends that are pharmacists and they've recommended specific out of state schools in places like:

-Washington - not the Washington state though
-Arizona
-New Mexico
-Illinois- Chicago
-North Carlina- Chapel Hill
-UTA(Univ. of Texas Austin)
-Wisconsin
-Michigan
-Oregon State

I have no idea about how good these schools are (I still have to do my homework.. -_-), but which schools were you looking into applying to? I totally agree with you that studying for the PCATS will be a great investment in time, especially if you're still in school... I'm also curious to find out about the success rates of people from California that apply out of state...

Also-- I clearly remember my biology counselor telling me that schools that do NOT require PCATS will simply NOT look at your scores because they already have enough paperwork and applicants and could care less how you did in something they simply did not require.

Hey I was talking to one of the Pharmacist I work with and he was say ing how going to colleges out of state leave you at a slight disadvantage. They tend to put applicants from out of the state sa a last resort pile.

Pepole born and raised in the state your applying to get priority. I guess you just have to do even better, you know to make yourself stand out. Almost as if your applying for a California school.

Maestrojo said:
Hey I was talking to one of the Pharmacist I work with and he was say ing how going to colleges out of state leave you at a slight disadvantage. They tend to put applicants from out of the state sa a last resort pile.

Pepole born and raised in the state your applying to get priority. I guess you just have to do even better, you know to make yourself stand out. Almost as if your applying for a California school.

State schools are usually required to accept more in-state applicants, due to funding from the state. The private schools, however, look at everyone more evenly.

MWU-CPG (AZ) listed thier acceptance stats on PharmCAS and it showed an interesting point. As of April '05, the 2005 class consisted of 73 accepted applicants with 59 out of state and 14 in-state. Maybe being an out of state applicant is an advantage for this private school, but who knows, maybe the remaining spots (for a total of 130) were filled with in-state applicants.

Consider yourself lucky that you are a CA resident and you are applying for CA schools- you have a higher chance of admission than I do, and I'm only applying to CA schools!

About the PCAT, even if it isn't required if you do well they'll take notice and take it into consideration. It would be ridiculous to discount how well you did, and if you didn't do as well then don't take it as a negative because you took the chance to take it even though it wasn't required. And since you live in SF, why don't you go to UCSF's pharmacy info days? I've been to one and shadowed students there! That's how I got some great info.

It's been said that applying to out of state schools leaves you at a disadvantage which is true BUT my friend got into UCSF and UCSD and she's not a CA resident. Lesson: make your application stand out from the others!!

blizz said:

i'm pretty sure that ucsf will disregard the pcat score that you send in. i attended ucsf's "pharmacy info day" two times. both times the admissions office lady said "ucsf will throw away your pcat score if you send it in."

i'm not sure about ucsd though.

HIII to all ,,

First of all thanks to all ... Because i m a new member of this network ,, so please help me out in searching ..

and give me a kind reply ..

I want to know about the Pharm.D admissions without pcat in the states like California , New york , Illinois - chicago , Newjersy ..

please help me out ..

thanks ...

Western Univ shreds the PCAT documents. UOP doesnt bother looking at it.

USC doesnt require the pcat..althought htey recommend that applicants take the test.

USC doesnt require the pcat..althought htey recommend that applicants take the test.

how sad...

Did any California ppl take the PCAT because you thought you couldn't get into an in-state school? Did you actually get into a school that does not require the PCAT, kinda making all the time and effort studying for/taking the pcat pointless?
Back in the day, I took the PCAT and never thought that I had a shot at getting in anywhere CA. I'm a non-traditional major, lack traditional hands-on pharmacy experience, and as a result, I took the PCAT with utmost seriousness. I studied for 2 weeks amidst work and school, sacrificed my social life throughout this process, and finally took that 6hr behemoth of an exam.

In retrospect, I'm glad I took it. Yeah, it cost me time, stress, and $$, but I wasn't about to narrow my future options. Yeah, it sucks while having to sacrifice some of your summer to take the PCAT, but the reality is that I wouldn't have been invited to check out schools on the East-Coast and Midwest, either. If you're thinking long-term for potential residencies or fellowships, taking the PCAT allows you to keep your options open, check out potential schools for academic opportunities, and gauge a school's culture and atmosphere. If you've got the time and mindset to do it, take the PCAT and apply out of state. You won't have any regrets about "well, what if I don't get into any of these CA schools?", come January/February.

USC recommend the PCAT, if you do well, then it's extra points on your application, if you don't do well, it won't hurt you. But overall, the PCAT won't be a Make or Break to your application. They will look at it, but it won't be as important as the other factors. In other words, if you took the PCAT, and some other applicant with similar stats didn't, then you will have extra points over them if you do well. That's what the admission committee told me at their info. session.

i live in CA, took the pcat, and ended up in a school that didn't require it. Yes, studying for the pcat took up a lot of time, but i would say it's worth it b/c if anything, it gives you more options, and lets you apply to more schools.