CA PrePharm student needs advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxdude

California Love
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if any of you who have been accepted into Pharmacy School have any advice for me. I'm a 1st year pre-pharmacy student and plan on attending either Western, UCSD, UOP, or Loma Linda. Any advice on things that I must do in order to get accepting (i.e. volunteering, GPA, etc) would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am not trying to be rude or anything, but if you need advice, just go through this forum, you will find all the information that you need. Have fun with your pre-requisites, I know that I m having fun with mine haha. By the way where exactly is Loma Linda!!!!!! I have never heard of that one before !! that school doesn't sound too appealing to me ... hum.... I am going to Loma Linda pharmacy school... what the heck !!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 1st year pre-pharmacy student and plan on attending either Western, UCSD, UOP, or Loma Linda.

How can you apply to Western, Loma linda, and uop w/o applying to SC? That's just silly. They're just as expensive.

Originally posted by rxdude
Western, UCSD, UOP, or Loma Linda. Any advice on things that I must do in order to get accepting (i.e. volunteering, GPA, etc) would be appreciated!

How can you apply to UCSD and not UCSF? UCSD is more competitive than UCSF. I had to make that comment :laugh:

heh sometime i feel sorry for the new peeps..its like we've already discussed everything that can be discussed already.

Originally posted by Triangulation
How can you apply to Western, Loma linda, and uop w/o applying to SC? That's just silly. They're just as expensive.

Easy answer.

SC = Too many damn prereq's. It would take me an additional year of school just to fulfill SC's prereq's, whereas the other schools wouldn't.

Does that make me silly?

Absolutely not rxdude, some schools just go way overboard with pre-reqs.

Although I graduated last year with a degree in biochemistry and molecular biology, I still had to take a couple of additional science courses to fulfill USC requirements. While pharmacy schools such as UCSF requires 92 quarter units of pre-pharmacy courses, USC requires 135 quarter units. This is because USC's new PharmD curriculum expects its upcoming students to be academically more competitive than in previous years. We are even required to study the 50th most popular drugs before the first day of class! I have a feeling the next 4 years of my life will be very challenging, but I feel they will be rewarding as well.

Additional information on the new curriculum:

The American Council on Pharmaceutical Education (ACPE) has renewed accreditation for the USC School of Pharmacy's Doctor of Pharmacy program. With accolades for remaining "an entity that demonstrates a commitment to excellence in all areas," the School was commended for outstanding curricular development and professional education for students.

The ACPE team?representing faculty and administration from several notable pharmacy schools, practitioners in the field, and the ACPE accreditation staff?conducted an on-site evaluation in early February.

As part of the review, the School of Pharmacy provided a comprehensive self-study of the Pharm.D. program, as well as other related materials. The on-site evaluation consisted of interviews with faculty, staff and students.

A formal ACPE report, which detailed the team's findings and recommendation for accreditation, was received in May. The accreditation was granted in July.

The ACPE team was impressed with the School's plans for a significantly remodeled Pharm.D. curriculum, which will begin in the fall semester. Their report stated that "the remodeled [program] increases professional experiences throughout the curriculum, strengthens coverage of emerging sciences and pharmaceutical applications, and improves flexibility for increased elective opportunities." In addition, the team praised the implementation of increased professional experiences for students beginning the first year of study.

"The many steps taken by the School to reform its approach to professional education place it in a position to provide leadership in this regard on a national level," stated the report. "The School enjoys the support of a strong network of pharmacy practice facilities and volunteer preceptors, who bring a variety of unique elements to the field and provide students with valuable professional educational experience."

The ACPE recognized Dean Timothy M. Chan, Ph.D. as a positive force, citing his leadership and management style. The associate deans and department chairs were also noted as bringing tremendous value to the organization. In addition, the team praised faculty for their commitment to "excellence in teaching and in scholarship, as evidenced by their many successes and national/international reputation."

In addition, the ACPE praised the School for increased diversity in student recruiting and success in the areas of sponsored research and scholarship.

"This remarkable outcome is the result of the collective effort of everyone in the School of Pharmacy," said Dean Chan.

Previously, the most recent accreditation was granted in 1997.

http://www.usc.edu/schools/pharmacy/news/doctor_acpe_accreditation_team_08_01_03.html

Rxdude,

You should apply to SC anyway. It's worth the extra heartache, and I know what a pain in the a#$ it is, bc i'm taking them now w/o anesthetic. it's worth it. Honestly, Western and Loma Linda can't provide what SC will. They don't have the resources, the access to LA county hospital, the alumni support, the years in the pharmd business that SC can bring to bear. Actualy western is pretty draconian about their prereqs as well, I got fed up w/their admissions com and cancelled bc it became such a pile of crap to deal with.