CA Resident, 3.6 cGPA, 3.71 sGPA, MCAT 33P

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drngus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The good thing about my GPA is there's an upward trend after my first 2 years. My cGPA for my 3rd and 4th and half year is a 3.88.

However, my EC's worry me:

-4 years on the track and field team at UCSD
-about a year and a half of clinical research (paper is close to submission for publication)
-1 quarter of being a TA for molecular biology
-going to begin working as an emergency medical scribe early next month

My job will be part-time (2 8-hr shifts a week), so should I try to do volunteering and shadowing as well? I know it's going to look like I crammed these activities in, but I guess if I don't get in this cycle it'll help me out for the next one? I'm shooting for middle/low tier schools but my dream schools are UCSD and UCLA.

Also I'm taking a gamble and retaking the MCAT in May and really banking on adding 3+ points to my score...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The good thing about my GPA is there's an upward trend after my first 2 years. My cGPA for my 3rd and 4th and half year is a 3.88.

-about a year and a half of clinical research (paper is close to submission for publication)

My job will be part-time (2 8-hr shifts a week), so should I try to do volunteering and shadowing as well? I know it's going to look like I crammed these activities in, but I guess if I don't get in this cycle it'll help me out for the next one? I'm shooting for middle/low tier schools but my dream schools are UCSD and UCLA.

Also I'm taking a gamble and retaking the MCAT in May and really banking on adding 3+ points to my score...

Thanks

Retaking a 33 mcat is a huge gamble. Are you gunning for the top 25? Your stats are competitive for many mid tier MD now. You might need to beef up your ECs though.

Last edited:
I'd agree on your assessment that your ECs are pretty weak. Try to volunteer both medically and non-medically in your community and really beef up your clinical exposure. While your stats are decent I don't think they're enough for the UCs with your current ECs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Re-taking a good MCAT is misguided. The greater likelihood is that it will hurt your applicaton somewhat (the same or only nominally improved score is quite common). A lower score is much worse.

You are already a good candidate for many fine schools. Find them and apply well. Use your time to improve weak points in your application, not strong ones.

Don't retake the 33. Your underwhelming ECs will hold you back much more than your current MCAT score, so improve your application accordingly.

Thanks

Agree with everyone else. Don't retake a 33 (>90th percentile). Getting a higher MCAT won't make up for subpar or rushed ECs.

If you haven't started shadowing yet, that would be your biggest problem. Try to get at least 25-30 hrs before applying in June. Also, start volunteering this May while working as a scribe (find 1 or 2 community service organizations or projects). Then you can put all 3 in your application. Continue volunteering and shadowing this summer/fall and send schools updates after you apply.

Agree with everyone else. Don't retake a 33 (>90th percentile). Getting a higher MCAT won't make up for subpar or rushed ECs.

If you haven't started shadowing yet, that would be your biggest problem. Try to get at least 25-30 hrs before applying in June. Also, start volunteering this May while working as a scribe (find 1 or 2 community service organizations or projects). Then you can put all 3 in your application. Continue volunteering and shadowing this summer/fall and send schools updates after you apply.

Agree with this. Your weakness isn't your MCAT score--it's your ECs. Focus on that.