CA resident, 3.65 GPA, 38 MCAT Schools List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pkmzeta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get input on my schools list.
Went to UCLA, majored in Neuroscience. GPA 3.65, MCAT 38.

4 solid years of research at UCLA and Stanford, unfortunately no publications though not for lack of effort :( some posters though. Physician shadowing, volunteering at blood center, English tutoring, just started working as ER scribe.

Arizona
Stanford
USC Cal-Keck
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Colorado
Rush
U of Chicago: Pritzker
Northwestern: Feinberg
Boston University
Tufts
U of Mass
Georgetown
U of Mich: Ann-Arbor
Duke
UNC
Wake Forest
U of New Mexico
Cornell
Mount Sinai
NYU
OHSU
U of Washington

Members don't see this ad.

Reallllllllllly don't like it, but I guess I probably should. Plus, my application is research heavy and there isn't all that much community outreach stuff, so I feel UCR probably wouldn't think I'm a good fit for them anyway (could say the same thing about UCD and UCI but ... whatever). Their mission statement is focused on providing care to the underserved communities of Southern/Inland California.

Members don't see this ad :)
Knowing that and your mcat score. I would add a few more research heavy schools and get rid of some where you wouldn't fit.

Don't apply to Anny schools you would not attend if it were your only option!!!

Yeah, I've gone through and looked at some of the mission statements, as well as percent admitted with w/o research, but sometimes it still isn't obvious. I know from living in California that UCI and UCD tend to accept some less traditional applicants and those geared towards primary care, but it's harder for me to tell with other OOS schools.

I also wonder if OHSU or UColo are just useless for me to apply to. I love both schools, and am not applying to them as "safeties" but I was kind of hoping they could count as good fits... what do you think?

One other thing-- I'm trying to eliminate a few more schools, and I was wondering what's the deal with Mount Sinai vs NYU vs Columbia vs Cornell? If I had to pick two, which ones would you recommend?

4 solid years of research at UCLA and Stanford, unfortunately no publications though not for lack of effort :( some posters though. Physician shadowing, volunteering at blood center, English tutoring, just started working as ER scribe.

Arizona
Stanford
USC Cal-Keck
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Colorado
Rush
Boston University
Tufts
U of Mass
Georgetown
Duke
UNC
Wake Forest
U of New Mexico
Cornell
Mount Sinai
NYU
OHSU
U of Washington

Are you applying MD/PhD? Because some of these schools don't accept OOS MD applicants

Oh really? No I'm just applying for MD. Which ones don't accept OOS for MD?

I definitely know UMass only takes in-staters for MD. I think New Mexico as well?

Ohh U of New Mexico and U of Mass I see. Was there another one I missed?

Things look fine but suggest deleting all OOS public schools since they favor the home team. U AZ and U CO might be OK. U WA, probably not. Suggest adding Wash U, Vanderbilt and Johns Hopkins

Arizona
Stanford
USC Cal-Keck
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Colorado
Rush
Boston University
Tufts
U of Mass
Georgetown
Duke
UNC
Wake Forest
U of New Mexico
Cornell
Mount Sinai
NYU
OHSU
U of Washington

Ohh U of New Mexico and U of Mass I see. Was there another one I missed?

That's why UMass has such favorable applicant statistics, even though it's a highly rated (in some respects, at least) medical school. :thumbup::thumbup:

Things look fine but suggest deleting all OOS public schools since they favor the home team. U AZ and U CO might be OK. U WA, probably not. Suggest adding Wash U, Vanderbilt and Johns Hopkins

Agreed. UW is fickle about OOS. You either need absurd stats or want to do underserved med. Your MCAT would fit for them but the GPA might be a little low.

Also, you're JUST on the GPA cutoff for OHSU (3.65), but the MCAT might save you.