Ca Resident, 3.7 cGPA 3.6 sGPA 505 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bennijab

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a fourth year undergraduate planning on applying this upcoming June.

Asian American Male
CA resident

MCAT
128 Physical Science
127 Biological Science
126 VARS
124 Psychology/Sociology

My cGPA is 3.7 and sGPA is 3.65. I expect it to get even higher by the time I graduate, I had one bad quarter with all B's.

Job Experience
I have worked for over two years 2000+ hours at a Senior Home as a Medication Technician and for almost a year 1000+ hours at a Oncology/Hematology Clinic as a Chemotherapy Technician.

Research
I neglected research my first couple years of college but I just got into a research lab.

Extracurriculars
I am part of a club that volunteers at different free clinics but I only have about 20 hours of volunteering hours.

LOR
I expect to get a really good LOR from the doctor that I work for, and possibly the Dr. I do research under. As far as previous instructors I am unsure who to ask.

My grades and research don't really stand out but I'm hoping that my strong clinical experience will make up for that. I am also thinking about HPSP (military medicine). Will that be enough to catch their attention? Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could try these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
any new private MD schools that open in 2018 (Seton Hall, Roseman, etc.)
The GPA-MCAT grid shows your chances for a MD acceptance are less than 50%. Apply to at least 8 DO schools also and you are competitive for all DO schools. You may need a DO LOR for some schools.

Thank you for your response, is there any hope at going to a California school or are those all reaches? Also I know I could have definitely done better on the MCAT because I did not complete certain classes prior to taking it. Is it reasonable to re take it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response, is there any hope at going to a California school or are those all reaches? Also I know I could have definitely done better on the MCAT because I did not complete certain classes prior to taking it. Is it reasonable to re take it?
If you want to stay in CA you would need to do better on the MCAT, probably 510 or higher. A higher MCAT would also open up more OOS schools for consideration.