CA resident, 3.7 GPA 38 MCAT, list of schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inthemaison

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just wanted to run a list of schools I'm applying to by people. I have chosen a lot of reach schools, but the main thing I want to see is if I should take out any schools due to them not accepting out of state applicants. I know University of Washington doesn't accept out of state, but I have family there and hopefully that might help. Please let me know if some schools are a long shot to get in to because of state of residency. Thanks a lot

New York Medical College
University of Illinois, Chicago
Drexel University
George Washington University
Georgetown University
University of Nevada
Wayne State University
Virginia Commonwealth
University of Vermont
St. Louis University
University of Miami
Pennsylvania State University
University of Washington
University of Oregon
University of Massachusetts
Albany
Boston University
University of Colorado
Ohio State
University of Virginia
University of Chicago, Pritzker
Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Northwestern
University of Michigan
Harvard
Wash U in St. Louis
Brown
University of Pennsylvania
UCLA
USC
UCSD
UC Irvine
UCSF
UC Davis
Stanford

Members don't see this ad.

Remove Nevada and UMass for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Just curious though why remove Nevada? I just heard UMass doesnt' allow out of state or something. I have been doing research since the summer of my freshman year (I'm an entering senior).

Of Nevada, the MSAR says, "A small number of nonresident applicants from Alaska, Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming or residents of northern California counties bordering Nevada (medical catchment area) are considered. Applicants from other western states should contact the office of admissions for updated eligibility information." So it depends on where you live in California as to whether you should include Nevada. About 11/62 matriculants are from OOS. Only 43 interviewed.

It is my understanding that Colorado and Oregon are not terribly friendly to OOSers. I do understand the temptation to apply to them since you're from the West Coast, though. Just make sure you understand your chances and are willing to waste the money.

Thanks for the advice. I am from Sacramento, so thats a couple of hours from reno. I have some family in oregon (second cousins that we're pretty close with) and have no affiliation with Colorado.