MD & DO CA Resident: cGPA: 3.4, projected 31 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CamelCase

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings from a long time lurker.

I graduated in 2008 with a BS in computer science from a top CA private. Having been a Googler ever since, I assume that classifies me as a non-traditional pre-med.

Here is my profile:

Demographic: 1st gen American born Chinese. ESL & socioeconomically disadvantaged.
cGPA: 3.4
BCPM: 3.5
AACOMAS sGPA: 3.2- The engineering courses inflicted some damage there.
Going for MS in computer engineering part time: gGPA 3.87 (20 of 45 units completed )

I have all the BCPM reqs completed. However I do not have ECs, clinical exp, or an even a real MCAT score at the moment. FWIW, my MCAT practice scores are typically balanced 10s, so a 30-32 composite is projected.

Being an Asian Californian, I realize that I am probably in the most competitive selection pool. Be that as it may, what are my MD/DO chances if I can acquire 2 yrs of solid ECs and a 30-32 MCAT score?

Many thanks.
CamelCase

PS: I'm also planning on taking some BerkX science courses for additional GPA and MCAT foundation bolstering too.

Members don't see this ad.

IF you do what you're planning to do, then you're in good shape.

Being an Asian Californian, I realize that I am probably in the most competitive selection pool. Be that as it may, what are my MD/DO chances if I can acquire 2 yrs of solid ECs and a 30-32 MCAT score?

It is going to take a couple years before you should even try to apply. Your GPA is low and despite the obvious rigor of your major, I do not know if adcom's will be understanding. In addition, you are in the most competitive pool of applicants, Asians. I do not know if adcoms will even consider your social economic conditions. Finally, you need higher than a 31 for MD.

It is not impossible however. If it is your dream to be a doctor, continue until you cannot try anymore. In addition, you need to show why you want to be a doctor and show commitment to this profession. This means hundreds of hours of clinical experience.

Also why do you want to leave google?!?! Must be a sweat gig.