Nov 18, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Greetings from a long time lurker.

I graduated in 2008 with a BS in computer science from a top CA private. Having been a Googler ever since, I assume that classifies me as a non-traditional pre-med.

Here is my profile:

Demographic: 1st gen American born Chinese. ESL & socioeconomically disadvantaged.
cGPA: 3.4
BCPM: 3.5
AACOMAS sGPA: 3.2- The engineering courses inflicted some damage there.
Going for MS in computer engineering part time: gGPA 3.87 (20 of 45 units completed )

I have all the BCPM reqs completed. However I do not have ECs, clinical exp, or an even a real MCAT score at the moment. FWIW, my MCAT practice scores are typically balanced 10s, so a 30-32 composite is projected.

Being an Asian Californian, I realize that I am probably in the most competitive selection pool. Be that as it may, what are my MD/DO chances if I can acquire 2 yrs of solid ECs and a 30-32 MCAT score?

Many thanks.
CamelCase

PS: I'm also planning on taking some BerkX science courses for additional GPA and MCAT foundation bolstering too.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
IF you do what you're planning to do, then you're in good shape.

Being an Asian Californian, I realize that I am probably in the most competitive selection pool. Be that as it may, what are my MD/DO chances if I can acquire 2 yrs of solid ECs and a 30-32 MCAT score?

Longshot6

5+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2013
Library
Status
Pre-Medical
It is going to take a couple years before you should even try to apply. Your GPA is low and despite the obvious rigor of your major, I do not know if adcom's will be understanding. In addition, you are in the most competitive pool of applicants, Asians. I do not know if adcoms will even consider your social economic conditions. Finally, you need higher than a 31 for MD.

It is not impossible however. If it is your dream to be a doctor, continue until you cannot try anymore. In addition, you need to show why you want to be a doctor and show commitment to this profession. This means hundreds of hours of clinical experience.

Also why do you want to leave google?!?! Must be a sweat gig.