Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

CA Resident, cGPA 3.52/sGPA 3.57, 32Q MCAT, If worse comes to worst.....

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by kautionwirez, Aug 10, 2011.

1. kautionwirez

kautionwirez Hadoken!
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am preparing to accept the fact that I have a 40-50% chance of not getting in this cycle based on my stats and my writing ability for secondaries and my activities list. I believe my PS is good based on others feedback (on a scale of outstanding/good/average/poor). Comparing myself to other SDNers this cycle, I feel that I lack enough clinical experience, GPA trend may have been a red flag from the 3 rejection I received so far (reason not mentioned in my PS), and not having people proof read my secondaries...

As for DO schools, a physician I shadowed can no longer allow me to shadow at his clinic because he is training a PA/nurse. Thus, I still have not received a letter of recommendation from a DO so I cannot apply to any DO schools at the moment (also cannot afford the secondaries at the moment).....

I am looking for advice for what I should do from now until the start of next cycle. I listed all my stats and activities to give perspective. Is there anything I should be doing additionally?

Sorry for being neurotic, the 3 rejections have hurt my ego.

Stats

MCAT
    5/21/11 PS 11 VR 9 BS 12 WR Q, 32Q

GPA: "Hill Trend...."

Year BCPM AO Total Hours
    FR 3.39 2.81 3.2
    SO 3.97 3.65 3.91
    JR 3.57 3.9 3.69
    SR 3.28 3.51 3.37
    cGPA 3.57 3.4 3.52 107.6

ECs:

1. Lab Manager at UCSD 1+ years (current), 2500 hours+
    2. Translational Research, 2+ years (finishing up), Abstract/Poster/Conference/Presentation, 1000 hours+
    3. Clinical Research, ~1 year, 300+ hours
    4. ED volunteer, 150+ hours
    5. Biotech Internship, Summer Full time, 500+ hours
    6. Sports Club, 2000+ hours
    7. Provost Honors, 6 Quarters
    8. Pathology Lab, 200+ hours
    9. Shadowing, CT/Path/Ortho: 28+ hours
    10. UCSD TA, Middle/High School Tutor: 150+ hours
    11. Hobby: Martial Arts, 400+ hours

Letters of Recommendation
    6 letters of recommendation
    2 science, 1 science lab, 1 coach, 1 PI, 1 non science
    (I really don't know how strong they are, I have never read them....)

Current activities:

1. Full time Lab Manager at UCSD
    2. Community College Classes: Statistics (online), Spanish 1 (8 semester hours total)
    3. Hospice Volunteer (planned 8 hours a week + team meetings)

Planned/Future activities:

1. Study for the MCAT, 6-12months of studying, mainly reading (would like to get a better VR score and I know I can do better on PS, aiming for 35+, plus my circumstances during the course of my studying)
    2. Take 12 more units (20 units total to raise my GPA to 3.6)
    3. Homeless Ministry (planning to start, 2-4 hours a week)
    4. Shadow a primary care/family physician
    5. Observe an operation
    6. Request an LOR from a science professor 8/25/11 (for LSU-NO requirements....)
    7. I am pretty certain I will be a 3rd author in Circulation.....
    8. Hoping for at LEAST 1 publication in JBC as 2nd author (potentially 3 before I apply as 2nd author and few more after 2012 summer)

2. sector9

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Don't give up the good fight yet!! There are still months of prime interview invite season left! :luck:

I'm still waiting to hear back from any school. No interviews, no rejects:xf:

3. cyanide12345678

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How many schools have you applied to? Rejections from 3 schools is not the end of the world. I just read your entire stats and your ECs look spectacular. And your scores are all decent. If you've applied broadly with a low end schools you probably have a chance for MD. Your stats are similar to mine (my GPA is a bit higher around 3.8 ish but mcat is 31R), and my ECs are not even close to urs. But still I've been told by my premed advisor that southwestern will try to take me (which is a pretty high ranked school)...so I just refuse to admit that you don't have a shot at MD schools. Going by the usnews rankings, any school ranked from 75 - 100 would want you (assuming that they would be OOS friendly)...thats just my take, i'm not an expert though.

4. Slowpoke

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey kaution,

i see your presence a lot on the school specific secondary threads, please don't give up hope and don't let the initial rejections bring you down more than they already have.

if it is one thing that i have learned from talking to med students and previous successful applicants is that this is a long process, sometimes filled with much more waiting then one person can take.

it is NOT over until it is over and we literally have more than 10 months of waiting left.

I cannot let you throw in the flag so early my friend! HANG IN THERE.

5. kautionwirez

kautionwirez Hadoken!
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thank you guys for the encouragement but I want to be prepared for the worst.
    I follow the saying (modified for myself) "Expect the least, prepare for the worst"

I am looking for advice/comments/changes to my current plans this year:

1. Study for the MCAT, 6-12months of studying, mainly reading (would like to get a better VR score and I know I can do better on PS, aiming for 35+, plus my circumstances during the course of my studying)
    2. Take 12 more units (20 units total to raise my GPA to 3.6)
    Classes: Spanish 1 (5 units), Statistics (3 units, needed for several medical schools)
    3. Homeless Ministry (Starting this week 4-8 hours/week)
    4. Shadow a primary care/family physician (yet to find one....)
    5. Observe an operation
    6. Request an LOR from a science professor 8/25/11 (for LSU-NO requirements....)
    7. I am pretty certain I will be a 3rd author in Circulation.....
    8. Hoping for at LEAST 1 publication in JBC as 2nd author (potentially 3 before I apply as 2nd author and few more after 2012 summer)

6. Nymphicus

Nymphicus kane o ke kai
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wouldn't read too much into the Boston rejection. Many highly qualified applicants have already been rejected. There may be some of the "intangibles" that you can work on, such as using your primary and secondary space to weave all your (strong and interesting!) interests and activities together into a complete and compelling picture of yourself. I think that is something a lot of people forget to do, and so their application may seem disjointed and awkward.

7. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

I think your plan is fine, but take care not to overextend yourself and sabotage your first priority: to re-establish an upward grade trend. And #9 on the list should be to send in periodic update letters to those schools accepting them, to include fall term grades.

It has to be said: your MCAT score is fine as it is. That study time would be better spent on some upper-level Bio classes to help raise your BCPM. At the least, put consideration of a retake off until next spring.