MD CA Resident School List; 3.69 cGPA, 3.60 sGPA, 514 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beijing67

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could use some feedback/suggestions on the school list below as a CA resident. One thing worth noting is that my parents are paying for my application fees so money is not an issue when it comes number of applications submitted.

Cumulative GPA: 3.69
Science GPA: 3.60
MCAT: 514
State: California
Race/Ethnicity: White

Research: 2000+ hours of ALS lab research (3+ years working under a very reputable PI); Recipient of $8k research fellowship by university; Three poster presentations at conferences (two as 1st author and one as 2nd author); Second author on two in-progress papers, but unfortunately it’s looking like they won’t be submitted in time

Volunteering (clinical): Cancer Center in University hospital (150 hours); VA Hospital (90 hours)

Physician shadowing: Shadowed an Emergency Medicine doctor (60 hours); Drove 2 hours outside of the city to shadow a rural doctor on 4 occasions (32 hours)

Non-clinical volunteering: 60 hours volunteering as afterschool tutor for grade school students learning English

Extracurricular activities: Events Co-chair for university’s Biological Sciences club; Served 1 year as editor for university’s biological research journal

Very Tentative School List

Far reach
  • Cornell
  • Duke
  • Mayo
  • Stanford
  • UCSF
  • WashU
Reach
  • Albert Einstein
  • Case Western
  • Dartmouth
  • Pitt
  • UCLA
  • UCSD
  • UPenn
Target
  • Albany Medical College
  • Drexel
  • Chicago Medical School
  • Hofstra
  • Indiana University
  • Ohio State University
  • Saint Louis University
  • SUNY Downstate
  • SUNY Upstate
  • Thomas Jefferson
  • Tufts University
  • UC Irvine
  • UC Davis
  • UC Riverside
  • USC
  • University of Colorado
Any and all feedback is welcome! The list is long and likely needs to be cut down simply due to the time demanded of that many secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can remove the far reach schools and U Penn (which is also a far reach). SUNY Upstate took only 7 non residents 2 years ago. Consider adding more Target schools such as:
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Temple
GW
Georgetown
Tulane
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin

Of your list, I suggest

Duke (maybe)
Mayo
Albert Einstein
Pitt (maybe)
Case Western (maybe)
Dartmouth
UCLA
Albany Medical College
Drexel
Chicago Medical School
Hofstra
Saint Louis University
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts University
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Riverside
USC

Add or consider: U AZ, UVM, Emory, Rochester, Temple, BU, U Miami, VCU, EVMS, Wake, Loyola, UCF (maybe), USF (maybe),

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! Does having some sort of a connection to Ohio make any of their public universities worth applying to? My mom's side of the family is from there and most of my family on that side still lives there.

Thanks guys! Does having some sort of a connection to Ohio make any of their public universities worth applying to? My mom's side of the family is from there and most of my family on that side still lives there.
UC and OSU are pretty receptive to CA applicants, although I think they tend to be of the high stats variety. Still probably worth an app, especially if you have a sincere desire to go to Ohio.

@SuaveCardigans I'll take a look at the stats a little more for UC and OSU. Might be worth a shot. Thanks!

I've been somewhat considering rural medicine as well, but worried it might be a tough sell trying to convince adcoms since I'm from a city of around 50k population (not exactly rural or small). I have a little to show my interest from shadowing rural doctors outside of town, but not sure that will be enough. Anyway, are there any recommended schools to apply to if I wanted to try and pursue the rural route? The problem is a lot of them seem to have very strong regional/in-state biases from what I've seen.

Of your list, I suggest

Duke (maybe)
Mayo
Albert Einstein
Pitt (maybe)
Case Western (maybe)
Dartmouth
UCLA
Albany Medical College
Drexel
Chicago Medical School
Hofstra
Saint Louis University
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts University
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Riverside
USC

Add or consider: U AZ, UVM, Emory, Rochester, Temple, BU, U Miami, VCU, EVMS, Wake, Loyola, UCF (maybe), USF (maybe),

This is good advice. OP, I think you can keep your reaches and some of your far reaches because of your research background - it's impressive and may get you some love at your reaches. Of your far reaches listed, I'd keep Duke, Mayo and Cornell.

I have similar stats 3.9GPA, 3.92sGPA, 511 and a Ca resident. Ive been looking for good schools to apply, I suggest the following:
Rosalind Franklin in Chi
Loyola
Penn State
Miami
Wake Forest
Georgetown
Med College of WI
Iowa
George Washington

I have similar stats 3.9GPA, 3.92sGPA, 511 and a Ca resident. Ive been looking for good schools to apply, I suggest the following:
Rosalind Franklin in Chi
Loyola
Penn State
Miami
Wake Forest
Georgetown
Med College of WI
Iowa
George Washington

Well, your GPA is quite a bit higher. I'd take a 3.9 any day! Thanks for the feedback. Since my OP, I've made more adjustments and have 5 of the ones you mentioned included in my final list.