Quantcast

CA Resident wondering what schools to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD021

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I am not applying this cycle but next cycle (c/o 2015)
Here are my stats, I have yet to take MCAT but I've been getting high 20s to low 30s (29-32 usually) on practice exams.

College: UC Davis, NPB (neurobiology, physiology, and behavior)
GPA: 3.65 cGPA, 3.70 BCPM GPA
MCAT: lets say 30?

Extra Curriculars: (what i will have)
-5 years volunteer (10 hrs/wk during summer, 1 weekend every month outside of summer) at dental office (not medical related but it does involve a healthcare field, patient interaction, and interaction with healthcare workers)
-21 months of Hospital volunteering (3-4 hours a week), there was a 4 month gap in the middle where I wasn't volunteering because i was focusing on other extracurriculars
-2 months of volunteering (20 hours a week) at an orthopedic surgeon's clinic, about 25% of it was shadowing; this occured during my break from hospital volunteering
-4 years NSCS (National Society of Collegiate Scholars) member, occasional volunteering and attending events/seminars
-Member of pre-med fraternity: 2 months as a pledge, 1 year as an active
during this period, about 4 hours a week were spent volunteering and fundraising, also meetings, health presentations, health fair organization
-2 years paid tutor in biology, statistics
-1 year as a paid pre-med peer advisor
-1 year as a paid notetaker
-certified EMT-basic, will only have 2 months of experience however
-mentor for lower-division student in pre-med club
-1 quarter committee leader for pre-med club
-20 hours shadowing orthopedic surgeon
-8 hours shadowing internist
-24 hours shadowing family doctor
-8 hours shadowing neurosurgeon
-8 hours shadowing ophthalmologist
-40 hours internship/volunteering for a radiologist, mostly shadowing
-40 hours internship/volunteering in an ER
-40 hours internship/volunteering for pediatrics

I'm having a difficult time obtaining a research position, I might be able to get a position this fall, but not 100% sure. How important is having research for california schools?

Would being a pledge parent for 1 quarter count as leadership experience?

I plan to apply to all the CA schools (MD and DO) except Loma Linda, what kid of MCAT score would I need to be average for CA MD schools?

What other schools should I apply for, I definitely want to apply broadly to ~10 out of state schools, and I will file AMCAS right away when it comes out.

THanks for reading my long post.

MD021

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
oh and to add, i have a noticeable GPA trend:
3.4s freshman year
3.6ish sophomore year
3.7 junior year
3.85 senior year

I'm also ORM but come form a low-income family

Last edited:

flip26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not applying this cycle but next cycle (c/o 2015)
Here are my stats, I have yet to take MCAT but I've been getting high 20s to low 30s (29-32 usually) on practice exams.

College: UC Davis, NPB (neurobiology, physiology, and behavior)
GPA: 3.65 cGPA, 3.70 BCPM GPA
MCAT: lets say 30?

What other schools should I apply for, I definitely want to apply broadly to ~10 out of state schools, and I will file AMCAS right away when it comes out.

THanks for reading my long post.

With your stats, 10 OOS is not even enough schools. Spend some time on this site, and you will find that your fellow Californians are applying to 30+ schools. Check out this current thread - don't let this be you: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=640329

You have a golden opportunity to really help your cause with an above average MCAT - don't take it until you are positive you will score at least a 31 or so...and if you could hit the mid 30s, it will help you a bunch.

Last edited:

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With your stats, 10 OOS is not even enough schools. Spend some time on this site, and you will find that your fellow Californians are applying to 30+ schools. Check out this current thread - don't let this be you: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=640329

You have a golden opportunity to really help your cause with an above average MCAT - don't take it until you are positive you will score at least a 31 or so...and if you could hit the mid 30s, it will help you a bunch.

Mid 30s. Do whatever it takes. Especially if you want to stay in Cali, you're looking at like a 35. Out of state, apply broadly and you should be fine (even with a 30-32) at like, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Chicago. You're bound to get in somewhere out of those 10 schools alone. Then throw in a few from New York.