Ca. Schools, how do you do it?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Harbindoc, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Harbindoc

Harbindoc Member

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a Ca. resident to get into any public or private school in ca. My stats are ok, but nothing fantastic! I had a really bad first year. I am determined to do well on the MCAT, have had lots of volunteer work, as well as paid work as an EMT. Can anyone tell me any stories of people who have gained acceptance to Ca. schools, who thought they would never make it in? Also if you could tell me what you think got you in with less than perfect numbers. I know the whole process is screwy, just looking for some hope here! :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mdhopeful

mdhopeful Senior Member

Hey Harbindoc. I too am a CA applicant. As far as I know, CA schools are a real crapshoot. My advisor told me that no matter what your stats, you are lucky to get accepted in CA. With that said, I have several friends who have gone to every school in CA. Here is what I have heard about the various schools and the type of applicants they do favor.

UCD: favors older, non-trad apps and URMs. Know two people who got in. One with a 2.8, a masters, and a post-bacc. One with above average stats, a masters, and from Stanford.

UCSF: older apps, non trads. Know some straight A students and some non-trads with lower gpas but more extracurriculars.

UCLA: loves URMs.

Only people I know who have gone to Stanford, UCSD, or UCI had very good numbers from strong undergrad schools. One friend went to USC told me they are big on the URM thing there. I can't speak for Loma Linda, don't know anyone who went there.

4. tonem

tonem Senior Member

If you are applying next year...it is IMPERATIVE, CRITICAL etc... (I can't stress that enough) that your application is in at the earliest possible time. California's #1 export is not high tech it's med students. So the sooner you get interviewed the better off you'll be. If you don't believe me look where I'm posting from :)

5. BeckyG

BeckyG Senior Member

A others have inferred, there is no guarantee with CA schools. I had a 3.8 from a liberal arts school (top 25 of liberal arts) and a 29 MCAT. I am non-traditional (25 when I applied). Worked as a health care consultant for a couple of years, did 2+ years of lab research as an undergrad, volunteered a little, worked for the institutional review board at UCLA (human subjects/ethics committees) and currently am doing research at UCLA. Was waitlisted at UCSF, UCI and Loma Linda (in CA). Was accepted during the regular cycle to Chicago Med. Got off the UCSF waitlist and am going there this Fall.

Definitely apply early, but that by no means you'll get in -- the schools are too competitive for anyone to think that applying early alone will make a difference. For example, all my applications were complete by early September (at the latest), and I interviewed at UCSF in early October. However, I did not interview at UCI until mid-January and Loma Linda until mid-Feb. And, I did not hear from UCSF that I got in until late June.

So, to answer you're question: there is hope! It can be done! Good luck to you!

-- Becky

6. TwoSteveSquared

TwoSteveSquared Senior Member

My advice to all cali residents including myself:

DON'T TAKE IT PERSONAL

You could be Harvard bound and Cali rejected. The UC undergrads flood the med schools with VERY qualified students. Plus, the paranoia ciruculating Cali students about not getting in drives up the competition. Just make sure you hit up the cali friendly private schools like GW and Wisconsin Med.

7. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    As a CA resident who was accepted at two UC's (UCSD and UCD), all I can say is to an extent, it really does seem to be a crapshoot. To be successful at all or at least some of the CA schools, you basically need to have all the textbook components that will make you a highly competitive applicant in general -- good grades, good MCAT, volunteer experience, clinical exposure, research experience, etc.

Don't lose all hope if you had a bad freshman year -- I was very skeptical I could ever get in to med school at that point myself. However, if you show significant improvement, and do well on the MCAT, you should be in good shape numbers-wise. That will get you to the secondary stage (most of the CA schools screen for secondaries). Take your secondary essays very seriously -- this is your chance to stand out and try to get the interview. I definitely think my essays made the difference for me. I would also say that in general, being a non-trad (ie, taking time off after college) is a big plus for most of the CA schools. If this is a path you are considering anyways, don't worry that it will hinder your admission chances.

8. Harbindoc

Harbindoc Member

Thanks for all the responses!

Lillycat, I just looked at the # of your posts! My God over 1200 you must be busy!!! I am enjoying reading all of the responses and if anyone else has any imput that would be great. I know Ca schools are not the end all be all of med schools, but my Significant other is a Lisc. Marriage and Family Therapist, moving to another state would be very difficult for him. While we are not married, I would hate to see our relationship end, although we have talked about the whole long distance thing as well. I guess I just have to hope for the best. I will be applying next cycle, and just wanted to know what others have done to get in....although it seems very unpredictable! Thanks! :)