CA Student... where to apply OUT OF STATE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sammmeyeam

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I live in CA..and I was wondering what OUT-OF-STATE schools you guys can recommend that I apply to?
My MCATs=31 (10,10,11) GPA=3.8

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

We have a few Cali people. Medical College of Virginia. Your scores should be very competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my professors once joked that one of California's chief exports is medical students. Most schools recognize that, and any state that accepts any percentage of out of staters should be considered.

You should also try Penn State. When I interviewed, a lot of the student hosts were Californians.
--good luck

Don't forget SLU and Temple.

Originally posted by wyldstyle2000:
•Any other schools recommended?•

Pretty much EVERY single medical school that's not a private, non-CA state school has a significant number of CA students. Look at ANY school's stats of where their current students come from, and you'll see what I mean--usually students from CA from in 2nd or 3rd to make CA the most represented state!

The fact is, there are too many students in CA and too few CA medical schools. So we fellow CA students must apply out of state. Thankfully, though, because of all these applicants, other schools all over the country know of our willingness to relocate from CA and also the reputation of the schools we attend. Basically, what that translates to is that pretty much ANY school (non-state) is willing to take and certainly to interview californian students.

Dear Seal,

Is that true? I had a chance to talk to one of the admissions committee members (the professor who interviewed me) when I went to ucsd's revisit weekend, and over a dinner conversation he was basically lecturing me on how the admissions process works: I guess he found out as we were conversing that I really have zero clue how the process works. (just a side note, I think the AMCAS should give out this website and the TPR website so some of the applicants out there can benefit from learning about the admissions process BEFORE they get into it...I wish I had found these sites earlier :( ) Anyway, in passing, he mentioned something about the ABC rule by which out-of-state "backup schools" abide(please don't chastise me for using this expression, I have no idea what he meant by it, and it is up to anybody's guess as to what these schools are...for all I know, ucsd itself could be a backup school for many people). Oh yea, ABC=anyone but californians, kinda catchy, no? I thought that was interesting. He actually called some of these "backup schools" and asked them why they have been interviewing less UC students...and the people at these schools said that they want to train physicians who will work for their respective communities, and not CA residents who will pick up their bags and head back to CA once med school is over. This sounded reasonable, so I guess I was interested in what other people's thoughts are on this issue (or the verity of what Dr. Bond told me, for that matter).

Having gone to UCSD, I would take what Dr. Bond says with a pinch of salt. As for "back-up" schools, I always wondered about who exactly gets into the schools with seemingly low gpa's (ie Finch), as I think they focus more on extenuating circumstance applicants. HOwever, it is probable that many schools prefer to take local applicants first, as they will stay in the community, so the ABC thing sounds reasonable, but when you look at the majority of private schools out there, the number of Californians is so overwhelming that I'm not sure how much water that arguement holds. Plus, you can always ask the school for a break down of where their students come from, and see if CA isn't #2 or #3 on their list.

I can understand state schools wanting to matriculate students who are likely to practice in the state, but I can't see why private schools would care. Strange.

Here's a couple more suggestions for schools....

MCP Hahnemann and New York Medical College