Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

CA Student... where to apply OUT OF STATE?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Sammmeyeam, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Sammmeyeam

Sammmeyeam Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello,

I live in CA..and I was wondering what OUT-OF-STATE schools you guys can recommend that I apply to?
    My MCATs=31 (10,10,11) GPA=3.8

Thank you

2. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    We have a few Cali people. Medical College of Virginia. Your scores should be very competitive.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    EVMS also has a substantial number of Californians, as does NYMC and some of the larger private schools (ie, GW, Georgetown, etc.)

4. One of my professors once joked that one of California's chief exports is medical students. Most schools recognize that, and any state that accepts any percentage of out of staters should be considered.

5. spacecadet22

spacecadet22 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You should also try Penn State. When I interviewed, a lot of the student hosts were Californians.
    --good luck

6. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Tulane, EVMS, U. of Michigan, Baylor, Georgetown, GW, NYMC, Med. College of Wisconsin, Vermont.

7. Doctor Wyldstyle

Doctor Wyldstyle Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Any other schools recommended?

8. anna

anna Member
    7+ Year Member

Don't forget SLU and Temple.

9. Seal

Seal Member
    10+ Year Member

Pretty much EVERY single medical school that's not a private, non-CA state school has a significant number of CA students. Look at ANY school's stats of where their current students come from, and you'll see what I mean--usually students from CA from in 2nd or 3rd to make CA the most represented state!

The fact is, there are too many students in CA and too few CA medical schools. So we fellow CA students must apply out of state. Thankfully, though, because of all these applicants, other schools all over the country know of our willingness to relocate from CA and also the reputation of the schools we attend. Basically, what that translates to is that pretty much ANY school (non-state) is willing to take and certainly to interview californian students.

10. L'?nergie

L'?nergie Member
    7+ Year Member

Dear Seal,

Is that true? I had a chance to talk to one of the admissions committee members (the professor who interviewed me) when I went to ucsd's revisit weekend, and over a dinner conversation he was basically lecturing me on how the admissions process works: I guess he found out as we were conversing that I really have zero clue how the process works. (just a side note, I think the AMCAS should give out this website and the TPR website so some of the applicants out there can benefit from learning about the admissions process BEFORE they get into it...I wish I had found these sites earlier :( ) Anyway, in passing, he mentioned something about the ABC rule by which out-of-state "backup schools" abide(please don't chastise me for using this expression, I have no idea what he meant by it, and it is up to anybody's guess as to what these schools are...for all I know, ucsd itself could be a backup school for many people). Oh yea, ABC=anyone but californians, kinda catchy, no? I thought that was interesting. He actually called some of these "backup schools" and asked them why they have been interviewing less UC students...and the people at these schools said that they want to train physicians who will work for their respective communities, and not CA residents who will pick up their bags and head back to CA once med school is over. This sounded reasonable, so I guess I was interested in what other people's thoughts are on this issue (or the verity of what Dr. Bond told me, for that matter).

11. SlaquerMD

SlaquerMD Member
    7+ Year Member

Having gone to UCSD, I would take what Dr. Bond says with a pinch of salt. As for "back-up" schools, I always wondered about who exactly gets into the schools with seemingly low gpa's (ie Finch), as I think they focus more on extenuating circumstance applicants. HOwever, it is probable that many schools prefer to take local applicants first, as they will stay in the community, so the ABC thing sounds reasonable, but when you look at the majority of private schools out there, the number of Californians is so overwhelming that I'm not sure how much water that arguement holds. Plus, you can always ask the school for a break down of where their students come from, and see if CA isn't #2 or #3 on their list.

12. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I can understand state schools wanting to matriculate students who are likely to practice in the state, but I can't see why private schools would care. Strange.

13. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Here's a couple more suggestions for schools....

MCP Hahnemann and New York Medical College