CACREP and APA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tempemonkey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the chances of getting accepted into a PhD program accredited by the APA if one only has a Masters degree accredited by CACREP? Any chance in hell?

Members don't see this ad.

The accreditation of your masters degree will not be any kind of issue. APA doesn't accredited masters programs anyway.

For an APA-accredited PhD program?? Matters not. at. all. My guess is that many faculty won't even know (or care) what CACREP is. They will be looking at your grades, research experience, letters of recommendation, personal statement, and other indicators of a good fit for doctoral-level work. That said, having a master's degree is an asset only if it has enhanced the aforementioned qualifications.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the chances of getting accepted into a PhD program accredited by the APA if one only has a Masters degree accredited by CACREP? Any chance in hell?

I am a graduate of a CACREP master's program and am beginning a competitive APA-accredited PhD program in the fall... accreditation was never an issue, although I did feel I had to work harder to prove that I am interested in research because I had an applied master's degree. The program that I was accepted to is even allowing me to transfer in about a year's worth of my clinical classes! Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

Most clinical psychology faculty will not even know what CACREP is, let alone be concerned one way or another about it. Counseling psychology faculty will probably know about CACREP but will not consider it an important factor. Go ahead and apply!

Maybe I should clarify more... Would the credits from my masters degree transfer or be applied toward the PhD? Any experiences with this?

varies by program. Many will except at least several classes. But this does not usually shave off anytime it takes to complete the Ph.D.

Maybe I should clarify more... Would the credits from my masters degree transfer or be applied toward the PhD? Any experiences with this?

Maybe a couple, though don't expect it to save you any time because you'll be slotted to take your first year courses in a certain order, so you'll just have some more free time if you get them waived.