Cadaver Memorial Service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PluckyDuk8

Pluck of all Plucks
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I read this in the Chicago Tribune. I was wondering what people thought about it and what they do in their schools.

'Our silent teachers'

Medical students pay their respects to the men and women who donated their bodies to education
By Kevin McKeough
Special to the Tribune

May 9, 2003

`You did not know me, my first, my best teacher. . . . You will not even know the runny-nosed 8-year-old who comes in with an earache. My eyes will peer through light, while the imprint of your ear, that first ear to teach me, will still remain etched in my brain.'
Dipti Barot remembers that the man she calls "my first, best teacher" had a tattoo on his right arm, and a large aneurysm in a blood vessel near his heart that probably contributed to his death at age 75.
A month after she last saw him -- which is to say, a month after she last examined his dissected remains -- Barot and about 70 other University of Illinois at Chicago medical students gathered to pay tribute to the men and women who had donated their bodies to the university's gross anatomy laboratory.
"These 32 men and women were our silent teachers," says Norman Lieska, PhD, an associate professor of anatomy and cell biology who supervises UIC's medical gross anatomy course, to the sea of students in white lab coats who fill the angled seats of a lecture hall. "Layer by layer, region by region, they've revealed the secrets of the human body to us."
"They've also afforded us the opportunity to look over the abyss, to face our own mortality. In many ways, that's the greater lesson."
The 56-year-old Lieska -- whose tall, slender build, black double-breasted suit and deeply creased face make him seem typecast for this role -- has presided over this annual ceremony ever since a student suggested it a few years ago .
This show of respect is a major change from the days when medical students had to rob graves to obtain bodies for their education, a practice that continued into the early 20th Century.
Now UIC receives the cadavers of men and women who bequeath their bodies to science via the Anatomical Gift Association of Illinois, and memorial services for them have become a rite of passage for first-year medical students. Many medical schools across the country now hold similar observances.
The ceremony also marks a shift in attitudes in the last decade from the gallows humor and practical jokes that once were a common part of gross anatomy studies. "It was a necessary thing for me to feel closure for the process," 23-year-old Kildeer native Tom Dekoj explains after the UIC ceremony. "A person has given a gift, and their families have given a gift, that is invaluable."
"It's the least we can do to show our respect," adds Amit Bakshi, a 21-year-old from Darien. "It's a way to express our gratitude for the ultimate contribution," concurs his dissecting partner, Cindy Chan, a 23-year-old Deerfield native.
Medical schools are encouraging this more reverent regard for donors in their efforts to nurture sensitivity toward patients in their students, who paradoxically often find their humane impulses drilled out of them by the clinical aspects of their training.
Patients are people
"[Medical schools] were trying to get doctors to separate from their feelings. To me, that the absolutely wrong thing to do for people who are working with people in need," says the Rev. Dr. Kyle Nash, a thanatologist (expert in death issues) who works with U. of C. students.
"Physicians have the greatest probability of acting from a place of care and compassion toward their patients if they have been treated with care and compassion themselves, throughout their medical educations," Nash says.
After the ceremony, Lieska reflects: "Even though they're just dealing at this point with corporal remains of the dead, that can be translated into caring for living people. Just because a person is dead doesn't mean that there isn't respect for that body. . . . Students come in with inherent respect and empathy. I think one of our major goals is to not educate that out of them."
Although they're the ones being honored, the cadavers themselves are not present in the room during this lunch hour ceremony on the last day of April. They lie in a lab several floors upstairs in the UIC College of Medicine building on the city's Near West Side. In their place, a lone steel dissecting table has been set at the front of the lecture hall, its long hood open to a silvery tray that rests on legs with wheels.
Soon the heavily embalmed cadavers will be cremated, and the ashes will be returned to the donors' families. Yet as Lieska notes, they have achieved a kind of immortality. "They will become part of your treatment plans, your way of healing," he tells the students.
Major surgery
By now, much of each donor's skin has been peeled away, layers of tissue have been filleted, and many of the organs have been carved from the body. This sort of cadaver dissection has been a standard part of the study of human anatomy since the research of a 16th Century Flemish surgeon named Andreas Vesalius laid the foundation for the field.
However commonplace it may be in the medical world, though, the experience clearly has had a profound impact on these medical students in their early 20s, many of whom have never seen a corpse, let alone contemplated their own mortality.
"It's pretty freaky," says Barot, a 25-year-old Southern Californian.
"These were people and here we are digging up their heart."
"The first time it was really hard to put the first cut in," Chan says. "You feel guilty that you're able to so casually do that, but it was the final wish of the donors that you'd be able to do that."
Likewise, Dekoj says he found it troubling "when I became totally comfortable with dissecting a human being. You feel inhuman. It's something your mind goes through to protect you."
To help the students work through these emotions, this year the university offered a writing workshop in conjunction with the gross anatomy course.
Students met about once a month with Lieska and Suzanne Poirier, a professor of literature and medical education, who suggested exercises to help them express their feelings about the experience.
"Having these sorts of activities is really a mechanism for the students to express what they're coming to medical school with. The idealism, the humanism, the altruism does drives many people," Lieska says.
The results of the workshop find their way into the remarks of some of the students who speak during the ceremony.
Dekoj reads a poem that reflects on the hands that "once stroked the forehead and scratched the brow" . . . and now "won't touch your face again."
"But with me you stay," he concludes, "your hand guides mine."
Barot's poem contemplates the line from donor to medical student to patient:
"You did not know me, my first, my best teacher. . . . You will not even know the runny-nosed 8-year-old who comes in with an earache. My eyes will peer through light, while the imprint of your ear, that first ear to teach me, will still remain etched in my brain."
On a lighter note, 23-year-old Chicagoan Olusola Olowe pays tribute to a donor with hip-hop rhymes:
"That metastatic cancer caused your cells to go corrupt.
I'm guessing your tissue function was cool until that condition messed it up.
And instead of lying in a casket three times two feet under the dirt stuck.
You realized the value of your body and just gave it up."
Solemn ceremony
After the readings, Lieska dims the lights. Like mourners paying their last respects at a casket, one representative from each dissecting team descends the auditorium stairs and lays a note of thanks on the dissecting table that will be given to the donor's family.
Then each student lights a candle from the one Lieska holds, and sets it on the table where a body's head would lie. When the last student is done, Lieska asks for a few minutes of silence: The warm candlelight gleams against the cold steel as the students bow their heads in contemplation and prayer.
When the lights come back on and Lieska announces the ceremony's end, the students quickly file out of the hall. Final exams are the following week (although the gross anatomy final was given before spring break in March), and they have intensive studying to do.
Still, the students are grateful to have been given an opportunity to trade contemplation for memorization.
"It had a proper degree of solemnity," Dekoj says. "It was an appropriate thing for us to deal with it. It was a nice way to close it up."
"It's good for us," Barot says. "We're young, we think we're immortal, and because we're med students we're super-ego-maniacal. It pulls you to a place of humility, which is something that doctors need more than any segment of the population. You can't help but be humbled by death."

Members don't see this ad.

my student interviewer at UCLA told me about their "memorial service" party for the cadavers. At first I thought it was really funny, but then I got to thinking how cool of an idea it was. If I get in some where and they don't have a service there, it'd be fun to start one. Even if its not a whole big deal, but just a party and you take a few seconds to give a little thanks and tip your glass to them, its still showing some good respect that i think is owed to them.

CWRU has a memorial service after the 2nd years are done with their cadavers and a common grave marked with a tombstone at a local cemetery. The tombstone has always been covered with flowers everytime I've seen it, showing you these were hundreds of family members that were cared for. I don't know why someone would think this was "funny," maybe kicked in the head by a horse?

mike

Members don't see this ad :)
NYMC also has a memorial service. They are pretty strict I guess as to who is allowed to see the cadevers. When I went on my tour, the students had to first make sure that the bodies were all covered. The students write poetry and everything. Its such an awesome way to say thank you!!

That article made me realize that maybe I am already doing some of that "distancing" from humanity, because the idea of a memorial service made me feel very uncomfortable. I don't know that I would want to think of the cadavers that way.

I know that is not a good thing. Just being honest.
I do think that the memorial services are probably a good thing, but I think it would be a pretty difficult thing to go through.

Anyone have similar feelings?

My school (GW) had their memorial service a few weeks ago. It's difficult to understand the impact that the cadaver has on you until you really start working on one. They really are your first patient, and I can't express enough the gratitude that I feel towards the person that donated their body to my medical education.

One interesting thing about our service is that family members of the donors are invited. It was touching to see the students connect, and interact with loved ones.

My school does not have a memorial service that I know about. We just kind of cut up what's left, put them in the medical waste boxes, and that's that.

I think some families request the remains.

I think that article is overly dramatic. As some of you know, by the time you are done with your cadaver it will look like a large, dried out, leftover turkey carcass.

(In fact, my wife bought eight turkey basters for my class to use to suck up the juice from body cavities.)

While I appreciate people donating their bodies, and plan to donate my own when I die, it is hard to feel a lot of reverence for the empty shell of a human being which you have spent the last year butchering.

And while I wouldn't say we treat our cadavers disrepectfully, after the initial creepiness of it wears off (in about five minutes) gross anatomy becomes like any other activity where medical students gather. That is, there is a lot of joking and conversation about subjects unrelated to anatomy.

Originally posted by Panda Bear
...We just kind of cut up what's left, put them in the medical waste boxes, and that's that...
Uhhhh, that sounds a bit nasty. I've always planned on donating my body, but I had pictured my butchered remains being cremated and then romantically sprinkled off a cliff into the wind and then drifting softly onto the pacific ocean. But then what do I know, I was kicked in the head by the high horse that mikecwru has been riding around on.

Put a body through a meat grinder, but it is still the remains of a human being. The ceremonies sound quite appropriate.

Originally posted by paramed2premed
Put a body through a meat grinder, but it is still the remains of a human being. The ceremonies sound quite appropriate.

I agree completely.

I was just pointing out that much of gross lab is butchery.

On another note, at our school we make a point of taking applicants up to the lab to see a cadaver or two. Just to let them know what they're getting into.

It has sort of a "shock effect" on some people.

Another thing, when I interviewed at LSU New Orleans, the medical student leading us on the tour claimed that they start dissection on the back before moving to more sensitive areas like the face and hands to slowly allow students time to come to terms with death.

(I don't know if it's true. It's just what he told us.)

At my school, on the other hand (LSU Shreveport) we kind of jump right in on the first day peeling back the chest muscles and removing the rib cage.

The instructors gave us the option of covering the faces of our cadavers (a good idea, whatever the case, to keep them from drying out) but this seemed kind of wimpy to most of the people in my group.

I don't want to imply, again, that we treat our cadavers disrespectfully. We don't. On the other hand there is very little reverence exhibited in our anatomy lab.

My wife commented, when she vistited the lab, that she imagined it would have a sinister feel to it. She was suprised at the brightness of the lights and the general "wholesomeness" of the dissection activities.

I have never thought of the cadavers as people but rather as inanimate specimans from which the soul has departed. If you didn't think this way, how could you ever take a saw and bisect the poor guy's skull?

Hey, I remember that I was pretty nervous about gross lab for months before I started medical school. I didn't eat anything the night and morning before "just in case."

After about five minutes of dissecting you will get used to it. After an hour you will start daydreaming about lunch, and after three weeks you may be bored sensless in lab and decide to use the time more productively. We have gross anatomy for two years. An introductory overview and then systems based dissection pertinent to the system being taught. I was pretty conscientious for musculoskeletal and neuroscience which we have at the end of freshman year. I went to lab once or twice early in second year and then, with the exception of practical exams, never again darkened the doors of gross lab.

I am not at the top of the class but have always comfortably passed all the lab practical exams. Let's just leave it at that.

I have Netters and the Rohen photographic atlas from which I study. The problem with gross lab is that unless you are a good dissector, you can spend hours digging out a couple of structures which you can find in the index of Rohen in about 30 seconds. Different views, too, of the important things which will help fix things three-dimensionally.

Plus, the cadavers in Rohen are expertly dissected from good quality cadavers. I think only one of the female cadavers in our lab actually had her ovaries. (Think about it.)

To me, much of gross lab was like picking through overdone chicken looking for little structures which I couldn't find anyways.

Another thing, when I interviewed at LSU New Orleans, the medical student leading us on the tour claimed that they start dissection on the back before moving to more sensitive areas like the face and hands to slowly allow students time to come to terms with death.

This is what we did, although it was never stated that it was being done to ease us in.

We also kept the faces covered to keep them from drying out.

At the end of the semester, my class organized a memorial service (not something that had been done at my school before). Our cadavers were all cremated & either buried or returned to the family (whatever the family had requested).

Kinda funny.

I interviewed at an Ivy where they were building a new anatomy lab. The other applicants were enraptured with the description of the future tecnlogical amenities; flat screen drop-down computer screens, voice-recognition interface, etc.

Then the guide mentioned the cadaver memorial service at the end of the year, and the applicants made faces and shivered. Some stated how they did not think they could face the family, or think of the cadaver as human.

I found it odd how people who are clearly very intelligent, and motivated to study medicine, should evince this drop in enthusiasm. In this context, the services sound especially relevant.

Panda Bear, I agree abot how bodies can become a backdrop for the work or study we do; as a paramedic I can recall many a joke shared over a futile resuscitation. Once the furor quiets down, the code is called, even the old RNs will have a moment of reflection on the passing of this unique life.

Unless the patient was morbidly obese. Then we think less about their unique life, and more about our aching backs as we move the patient to the body-bag.

Our memorial service was surprisingly emotional. Several family members of donors stood and talked about their loved ones. I'd say most of our class was either crying or pretty choked up by the end of it.

I don't think you need to stand around in quiet reverence. There's nothing wrong with acting like it's part of your daily routine (it is). The most respectful things that I think students can do is.... (1) go to lab, (2) prepare and do the dissections (3) if you're not going to go, inform the instructor so the body won't be wasted (4) spray and maintain your body. I think this is infinitely more respectful than standing around in fake awe.

mike

I don't want to imply, again, that we treat our cadavers disrespectfully. We don't. On the other hand there is very little reverence exhibited in our anatomy lab.