Caffeine dosing on MCAT Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumb0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I don't normally drink coffee, but I decided to start taking caffeine in pill form while studying for the MCAT. I took 100 mg on days that I would study content, and when I got to the practice exam phase of my studying, I would take 200 mg before taking an exam. Well, I am taking the real thing this Saturday. My original plan was to take 200 mg of caffeine beforehand as I had been doing for my full lengths. The only thing is that I have built some tolerance. The 200 mg doesn't last as long as it used to. 100 mg used to get me through a whole day in the beginning, now 200 mg only works for about 5 or 6 hours.

I was thinking of taking 1.5 x my regular dose on exam day...Wake up, take 100 mg, review my notes one last time, and take 200 mg an hour before the exam. 300 mg total.

Would it be inadvisable to take a slightly increased dose that I never experienced with on the day of the exam? The scientist in me tells me it is a horrible idea...but the inferential gambler in me (read: my gut) says that a slightly bigger dose may be just what I need to propel me to a huge score.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd also like to know this, but I've heard that on test day ur adrenaline plus caffeine will make u jittery. But I personally have not sat for the test yet.

^Was about to post the same thing. I plan on getting some exercise before the test to calm my nerves. I drink coffee daily and will try to back off a bit on test week.

In working with athletes in competition, we've found that taking exactly what you're used to - no more, no less - works best, though at times we actually reduce the normal daily dosage slightly.

Taking extra tends to give people increased stimulation, and thus, increased nerves and anxiety. I can't imagine this would be helpful on a day where you're already going to have lot of nerves.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO NOT increase your dose more than usual on test day. If you really think your tolerance is increasing enough that it is becoming ineffective, test out 300mg starting a couple days before, do an FL, and see how you react. Drink more water too.

I'm a coffee drinker with a significant tolerance, and I upped my intake (I took the MCAT today) from a usual 300-400ish mg to around 560ish mg: one Monster energy drink and a pill upon waking (400mg) and then a regular "small" RedBull (80mg) during each break of the exam.

I didn't get as much sleep as I normally like (got about 5.5, normally like 8) so I felt like the extra caffeine perfectly balanced out the missing sleep. I wasn't jittery or overly nervous. Those are my two cents anywhoo.

I'm a coffee drinker with a significant tolerance, and I upped my intake (I took the MCAT today) from a usual 300-400ish mg to around 560ish mg: one Monster energy drink and a pill upon waking (400mg) and then a regular "small" RedBull (80mg) during each break of the exam.

I didn't get as much sleep as I normally like (got about 5.5, normally like 8) so I felt like the extra caffeine perfectly balanced out the missing sleep. I wasn't jittery or overly nervous. Those are my two cents anywhoo.
Jesus. Who are you? Lol

Reactions: 3 users
Jesus. Who are you? Lol

I get this a lot - I just have a super high tolerance for caffeine, I don't really know how/why. I worked at a Dunkin' Donuts one summer in highschool and I discovered my "super power" when someone asked me how I thought drinking 4 shots of espresso over ice to get my day started was normal.

take 50-70mg per section, that would give you a smooth consistent rush rather than taking 200mg at start and getting sudden rush in the beginning and feeling down by the time you get to the BS.

I'm honestly going to grab one big cup of coffee and sip it util I get into my test and maybe drink it(if I can) during my breaks on the exam so I'm alert but not jittery

I get this a lot - I just have a super high tolerance for caffeine, I don't really know how/why. I worked at a Dunkin' Donuts one summer in highschool and I discovered my "super power" when someone asked me how I thought drinking 4 shots of espresso over ice to get my day started was normal.
That's impressive. Now let's break down the finances of your addiction. Lol jk

Reactions: 1 user
Optimize the cost:effectiveness ratio with caffeine pills, only $0.06 each!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm honestly going to grab one big cup of coffee and sip it util I get into my test and maybe drink it(if I can) during my breaks on the exam so I'm alert but not jittery
dont do that man, your bladder is going to explode in the middle of test