Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Caffiene on test day

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by badasshairday, May 4, 2007.

1. badasshairday

badasshairday Vascular and Interventional Radiology

Resident [Any Field]
    Who else is going to have caffiene on test day? It keeps me sharp so I am going to down a cup of coffee 30 minutes before the test. I'm also going to bring a redbull to have during one of the breaks to keep me going.

:thumbup:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. meddoc1

I am so with you on this.... But I am worry about wanting to go to the restroom :( Hahahaha

4. Symphony101

Pre-Medical
    caffeine= bad idea

you'll be so wired anyway you won't need it.

5. sehnsucht

Pre-Medical
    i got so used to coffee that i weaned myself off it in preparation for the MCAT. i went off on caffeine products for almost 3 months and tried some coffee yesterday while doing verbal passages. i wasn't too jumpy with one cup of coffee but i felt pretty energetic and focused. I was able to do my passages with just the right amount of energy without feeling the need to do cartwheels to burn off the caffeine anxiety. i plan to down one cup before i take the CBT-MCAT and then supplement it with another cup after a light lunch. this second cup should tide me over for the writing sample and the BS/PS section.

6. badasshairday

Resident [Any Field]
    Exactly what I am thinking. I am not a heavy caffeine drinker myself so I do get the mild kick and it helps me focus more. I wouldn't suggest this to people who are really caffiene sensitive because you may become too anxious. For me, I found it helps me A LOT on my VR. You guys may say its all in my head, but dammit I don't care as long as it helps!

7. little pebble

Medical Student
    I drink tea instead of coffee, and I had a Diet Cherry Coke between Verbal and Writing. I also drank decaffinated coffee that morning (it was all my grandmother had).

Of course, I took the test in the afternoon (16/04) so I needed a kick at about 2 PM anyway...that's when I always get sleepy!

8. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    I always drink tons of coffee everyday so I think I had about 4 cups the morning of the MCAT. Honestly, it didn't bother me in the least but I am pretty used to it.

9. Funky

Funky This space is for sale

Pre-Medical
    I downed a red bull during test day but I dont think I needed it.

10. babycapybara

babycapybara Junior Member

Medical Student
    I would drink my coffee more than 30 minutes ahead of time....You need time to get to bathroom:rolleyes: and don't drink more than you are used to, you'll feel nervous enough already...no need to make yourself jittery and wired.
    And remember...if you need to go to the bathroom in the middle of section, it's not an easy 1 minute dash...they have to fingerprint you in and out..which can take up to 5 minutes. You don't want to lose all that time.

11. LexiLuthor

Pre-Medical
    Ugh I had a cup of coffee right before and then had to pee for the entire first section. It was murder, and I swear it was a major factor in PS being my lowest scoring test area :laugh:

12. CATallergy

Non-Student
    I'm with anastasis. I drank at least 30 oz before the MCAT, and it was fine. If I hadn't, I probably would have spent the whole test distracted by thinking about how much I like coffee. It really is a good drink!

I can drink a venti and fall right to sleep - is anyone else like this?

13. emaj1n

emaj1n M1

Medical Student
    This is probably not a good thing! But alas, this is what college does to us.

14. akinf

akinf Senior Member

Medical Student
    very true...i was shaking like a leaf

15. hrdrck4evr

hrdrck4evr Newbie

Pre-Medical
    I had a Vault in the morning with breakfast, mainly so that I'd stay awake for the drive to the center. Dont worry about needing to go to the bathroom, you get a 10 minute break in between each section where you can do whatever you want and I definately recommend taking at least 5 minutes of that break.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. kateycat

Pre-Medical
    i'm worrying about the same thing, but more about how much. i think my body is getting too used to it since i have coffee or some kind of caffeine before i study, to focus.

i'm wondering, anyone ever tried those no-doz caffeine pills? i was thinking of trying it just to kind of standardize the dose i'm taking. cuz i'm not sure how much caffeine is in some of the coffee drinks i get/make, and sometimes i'm jittery-anxiously caffeinated and other times i'll drink it and still feel like falling asleep.

18. badasshairday

Resident [Any Field]
    I think I am going to go with a red bull before the test and another red bull either before verbal or after verbal.

19. Banjo64dd

Banjo64dd Junior Member

Whatever you do, DO NOT DRINK COFFEE on the day of the test. You will end up going to the bathroom very often and it is a big hassle checking out of the testing room to go to the bathroom. There is a long procedure of signing in/out and taking thumb prints. And if you try to hold it in during the test, you will not be able to concentrate that well. In fact, don't drink too much liquids. Take a Snickers bar or something.

20. scotties123

scotties123 GrandMacDaddy

Medical Student
    very true, and drink a protein shake or something. itll have more then enuff carbs to keep u up and wake.

21. CATallergy

Non-Student
    many protein shakes these days are nearly [absorbable] carb-free. so check the label

22. DrGoofy

Post Doc
    gatorade works for me.

23. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    this is true if you don't normally drink coffee as part of your day. If you do regularly drink coffee, then for God's sake DON'T STOP THE DAY YOU TAKE THE MCAT. Last thing you need is a caffeine headache!

24. badasshairday

Resident [Any Field]
    Coffee makes me urinate a lot.

This is my plan.

Eat breakfast 3 hours before the exam at 9am. Drink a Red Bull after breakfast. Then go pee before leaving to the test center and drink another red bull during the break after PS. Go pee after VR. Then finish the test!

25. badasshairday

Resident [Any Field]
    For those of you that took the test, how long did it take to check back in after going to your locker or the bathroom? My friend that took it on April 16 said it was quick because your break doesn't overlap with everyone elses. He took it at the San Fran center, but I am taking it at a different center.

26. BeatrixKiddo

BeatrixKiddo Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I will be taking a special medicine that makes me as smart as Einstein and then I will get 100000000 points

27. MSTPbound

MSTPbound student
    Moderator Emeritus

Post Doc
    I think the bottom line in this thread is that you shouldn't make any dramatic changes to your normal test taking routine. Personally, I am an admitted coffee addict (although for the past week, I have replaced coffee with two cups of tea of day and a red bull... it's a process. :rolleyes: ) but when I was planning for test day, I DEFINITELY figured a relaxed trip to the local Starbucks coffeehouse just before the exam. In fact, if I have any regrets at all, its that I didn't have more coffee to drink during my break... I was the unlucky soul who got called in LAST to begin his exam, so my actual start time was 9:30 instead of 8 AM... I already had a mild caffeine withdrawal headache half way through the PS section because it had been a whole 4 hours since my last cup!!! :eek: ).

I managed, but I can't imagine how I would have been had I interrupted my coffee-drinking pattern.

If you don't normally drink coffee, don't start on the day of the MCAT. If you do, don't make test day the beginning of a "COLD TURKEY" plan. Just do whatever you normally need to do to feel as in control as possible when you walk in. :thumbup:

Good Luck!

-Mbound

28. MSTPbound

MSTPbound student
    Moderator Emeritus

Post Doc
    I took the test at a Brooklyn, NY site. On each break I had time to sign out, go to the rest room, come back, grab a snack from my locker, devour the snack, calm myself meditatively for 30 seconds, walk back briskly, sign in, and sit at my testing station with about 2 or 3 minutes to spare. And I didn't even have to bring the "chewless" baby food I had planned for snacking :laugh:. I had two cliff bars, a bunch of raisins and some super-antioxidant juice for the much needed "placebo effect" ;) .

Seriously, 10 minutes is enough time, but don't :bullcrap: around with it. Keep your eye on the clock, move briskly, know where you have to go and do what you have to do. The break time never seemed to be an issue, keeping these things in mind.

:luck: !

-Mbound

29. BeatrixKiddo

BeatrixKiddo Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    is there time to check out guys, should i dress up and wear makeup?

30. CATallergy

Non-Student
    there was definitely time during my test, according to a few ladies whenever I walked by

31. MSTPbound

MSTPbound student
    Moderator Emeritus

Post Doc
    I think I know which ladies you're talking about. But I couldn't tell for sure what they were doing since they were too busy signing me in. :lol:

32. CATallergy

Non-Student

just because you're waiting for an MCAT score doesn't mean everyone is, if you know what I mean

btw, let me know if you're planning to administer any computer-based exams - I can get you a deal