cal northstate college of pharmacy vs oregon state college of pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissPharmer2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am from Cali, I just recently got accepted into CNUCOP and OSU COP.

I am having a really rough time making up my mind about which school I should attend. CNUCOP appeals to me because it is in my home state, while OSU COP appeals to me due to the much lower tuition (even for out-of-state students) and has a longer history and established program.

In all honesty, I have been told that the school you go to does not matter by some and to go to a school located in the state or area that one would like to work in after graduation, which they claimed would be easier from the connections you make from ippes, appes, at jobs you take up as an intern pharmacist and the connections the alumni make, and etc. etc..

Then I have another group of people telling me how the harsh reality is that pharmacy is overly saturated and going to an established program would serve one better when it comes to job prospect.

I don't know which one plays a larger role nowadays in job prospect. But I would like to get feedback and input about it definitely.

If anyone could give me some feedback or input on what they would do if they were in my shoes, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The school you attend does matter just by the difference in cost of attendance alone. Then you also have to consider that you cannot get any federal loans at CNUCOP.

OSU is a no brainer due to the cost.

On a side note, computer programming is a much better career path if you want to stay in California. There is huge demand for computer programmers right now. You can earn a decent salary, often $100k+, without having to take out an additional $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years in school. You don't even need a degree to become a programmer; many of my peers got jobs after 3-month boot camps Even if you go to stay in state and go to CNUCOP, you will still most likely have to move out of state due to the extreme saturation in California.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
OSU since you can't get federal loans at CNUCOP. The higher interest and tuition at CNUCOP is a double whammy. You should also consider if you will be going for a residency after pharmacy school. If you are, OSU will definitely look better than CNUCOP. CNUCOP was a back up school for many pharmacy school applicants.

I would go to the school in CA. Do you really want to re-study for the CPJE once you move back to CA? Do you know the CPJE fail rate is higher for out of state graduates? Your practice will be all wonky because California law is different. You can get a job in Sacramento as an intern and work your way up as grad intern in that same district too. It makes no sense to go to OSU.

$50K yearly (Californa Northstate) vs $15K yearly (Oregon State) tuition.

You gotta be kidding me right?

Oregon State has a very good reputation and the pharmacy school is over 100 years old. California Northstate is a candidate program that costs 2-3x as much (depending on whether you have in-state or out-of-state tuition at OSU) and doesn't grant federal student loans.

The answer to your question is so obvious that I can't believe you are even asking the question. Regardless of what you do, I think you need to start devoting a significant amount of your time to reading financial literacy books. Because if you are really thinking about taking out over 300k in student loans at a school where you will not be eligible for loan forgiveness then you need to go back to the basics.

I would go to the school in CA. Do you really want to re-study for the CPJE once you move back to CA? Do you know the CPJE fail rate is higher for out of state graduates? Your practice will be all wonky because California law is different. You can get a job in Sacramento as an intern and work your way up as grad intern in that same district too. It makes no sense to go to OSU.

OP can't even count on REPAYE/PAYE/IBR if she goes to Northstate (private loans only). She can study for CPJE while studying for NAPLEX. Everyone I knew who failed CPJE didn't have a good NAPLEX score (I bet those who fail CPJE tend to have NAPLEX scores below 100).

Ease of getting a job... I'm sure OSU grads do fine. You can always move back to California later.