Cal students - one year of inorganic chemistry requirement

Jul 31, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
what are you guys doing for the inorganic chemistry requirement? I understand that schools will accept it like this right?

inorganic chem: chem 1a, 3a
organic chem: chem 3b, mcb 102

BUT what if the school asks for biochem too as a prerequisite course? wouldn't mcb 102 fulfill that requirement and then our inorganic chem is back to being unfulfilled? :eek:

CalDent

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I had the same question, but I've been getting away with it on my secondaries so far. The ones that have asked for 1 semester of G Chem seem to ask for Biochem - so I can just use Chem 1A and MCB 102. And some other schools have asked for 1 year of G Chem, but nothing for biochem - in those cases I've used what you mentioned in your post.

On our career center website, it says to just use 1A and 3A as G Chems, even though 3A is O Chem.

I guess you can just contact schools and explain them the situation since we don't really have 2 semesters of G Chem at Cal.

dentist95757

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
some schools (like ucla) require both chem 1a and 1b on top of 3a and 3b, and on top of that, some schools also require mcb 102, so i'm taking chem 1b now just to get it out of the way.
someone i know got their admissions rescinded because she didn't take chem 1b, so check to make sure the schools you're interested in don't require it if you dont plan on taking it.

OP
P
Jul 31, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
do you know which school that was? If it was UCLA I'd understand because they specifically state they want chem 1b, but if it's another then uh oh