Calc-based Physics or non calc-based Physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Centridot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my question is the title. Does it really matter what type of physics I take? I ask because I might not take calc since I have AP credit if I take non-calc based physics, but I will probably retake calc if I end up doing Calc-based.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So my question is the title. Does it really matter what type of physics I take? I ask because I might not take calc since I have AP credit if I take non-calc based physics, but I will probably retake calc if I end up doing Calc-based.

Thanks

For medical schools, I believe either one will suffice.

It's my personal opinion that you should still take some math classes in college, despite the AP credit. Adcom wants to see that you're able to do it, and most of them don't even accept AP credit!

I'd suggest taking at least one calc class and maybe a stats class.

Most people get away with non-calc based, but I would look at the requirements of the schools you are looking into. The requirements vary.
http://hms.harvard.edu/admissions/default.asp?page=requirements

Members don't see this ad :)
all you need for the mcat is non-calc based physics. it may be wise to take calculus in college, but def not reqd. i took calc I, as it was a prereq for some of the upper level science courses. i have yet to see a medschool that specifically requires calculus based physics, but that doesnt mean theyre not out there. even though ive taken calc I i will not be taking calc-based physics

Only thing that matters to the AdComms is the grade you made. Also, remember a lot of schools want at least 1 semester of math up to Calc 1, and a few more require 2 semester and a couple up to calc 2. So just because you have AP credit, doesn't mean that you can get away from taking more math.

Truthfully, there is not much difference. You have to do very little calculus on the actual exam. Usually it's simple derivatives and integrals - you're not going to have to do any multivariable calculus. If you're good with calculus, it definitely helps with a deeper understanding. But if you're worried about it, just take the algebra based one, it's fine.

i wish i had taken calc-based. not because it would have helped with admissions or MCAT, but because it would likely have made the course easier. the algebra based course i took was often confusing because the prof had to teach it without calc. he openly admitted that some of the concepts he taught us were wrong, rigorously speaking. problems in HW and on exams were sometimes more difficult to understand conceptually because they had to be done without the aid of calculus. kinda helps understand why Ptolemy had so much trouble, huh? :smuggrin:

anyway, i researched a lot of schools last year when applying and never came across one that required calc-based. i think uchicago said that they'd give you more leeway with a crap grade in physics if it happened to be the calc-based version. a calculus course is nice to have, and some schools do require it, but many that do will take AP credit. don't retake calculus if you've already gotten AP credit for it on a college transcript, that's just silly. if you need a math course and don't want/need calc II, take stats.

Friends of mine who have taken calc-based physics tell me that calculus really makes the physics come together and "make sense" to them. They are math people, though, which I am most definitely not. The calc is definitely not required for medical schools and is not necessary at all on the MCAT. If you are strong in the math you may benefit from the extra intuition that a calc-based class gives you, but I would not advice forcing yourself through it if you are otherwise.

I'm personally an advocate of quantum physics. What better than to talk about quantum mechanics and time travel with your patients? Plus, the harder class you take the more the adcoms start salivating over your app. :smuggrin: