Calc II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important do you think it is to take both Calc I and Calc II? I took Calc I last year, but Calc II is too intense (especially during a summer session). Do you think I should push it or should I not bother with it?

Members don't see this ad.

How important do you think it is to take both Calc I and Calc II? I took Calc I last year, but Calc II is too intense (especially during a summer session). Do you think I should push it or should I not bother with it?

Well, I'm a math major and though I do have my biases, I'm going to try answering this as objectively as possible. Yes, Calc II has some very important/interesting topics. But are any of these so difficult that you could not at a later time learn without the aid of a course? No. If you feel it runs the risk of negatively impacting your GPA, and you just aren't all that thrilled by math, don't subject yourself to it.

On the other hand, having an understanding of the "area under the curve" will be very beneficial later on. The class will give you a deeper understanding of some physics equations, and will give you good practice manipulating equations (useful with the PS section of the MCAT).

Its not overly important to take Calc 2, but keep in mind that some schools do require it. If you did alright in Calc 1, and feel that you can handle a bit of a tougher class, then I would say to go ahead and take it. At my school, we went through sequences, series and some other stuff in calc 2, and I found it to be fairly interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'm a math major and though I do have my biases, I'm going to try answering this as objectively as possible. Yes, Calc II has some very important/interesting topics. But are any of these so difficult that you could not at a later time learn without the aid of a course? No. If you feel it runs the risk of negatively impacting your GPA, and you just aren't all that thrilled by math, don't subject yourself to it.

On the other hand, having an understanding of the "area under the curve" will be very beneficial later on. The class will give you a deeper understanding of some physics equations, and will give you good practice manipulating equations (useful with the PS section of the MCAT).

In the words of Pat Robertson, I totally concur.

And it's good to see other math majors on here :thumbup:

In the words of Pat Robertson, I totally concur.

And it's good to see other math majors on here :thumbup:

Hey alright a fellow math major. :D

Edit: Funny how both of us have popular science-fiction novel authors quoted in our signature. Why most math people like sci-fi I will never understand...

Last edited:

I think if you're not gonna rock it, don't do it. It counts toward you science GPA, so you don't want to do poorly. I mean absolutely no disrespect to the engineers/math majors around here (I am extremely envious of your skills, actually) but in terms of med school it's not all that useful, or so my premed adviser says.
That being said, there are a couple of schools that require it, and I believe they are Hopkins, Harvard and Wash U but people can correct me if I'm wrong. If you want to apply to these, you should take it (you also have the option of taking it the summer before you matriculate AFTER you get in though, I think), otherwise don't risk bringing down your science GPA.

Hey alright a fellow math major. :D

Edit: Funny how both of us have popular science-fiction novel authors quoted in our signature. Why most math people like sci-fi I will never understand...

Funny thing is that I've never read or saw Dune. But I'm just obsessed with that quote.