Calc Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sully677

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does Calc physics help you more on your MCAT than trig based physics?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i took a semester of each and didn't really see much of a difference in the actual curriculum presented - it was just presented differently. my calc based physics book was called "Physics for Engineers".

i haven't taken the MCAT yet, but i've taken practice exams and it hasn't helped me any. however, taking calculus is useful.... it has taught me how to think through the problems and questions.

the physics on the mcat is all trig based, but if you know how to get there with calc, then I can see how calc would be more useful. Plus calc based physics helps you learn about the relationships more.

Members don't see this ad :)
eh i don't think it will help that much - it isn't worth it. it is significantly harder than non-calc based physics and it is more important to get an A.

I took non-calc based physics and got a 12 in the physical sciences section. So... no.

dang...so it's harder yet of no additional use...great...my school only offers calc physics.

I didn't take any physics before the MCAT and got a 10 in the section... not amazing, but not awful. So I'd say focus on the class grade first and worry about the MCAT second.