Calc??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
F

fita

Hi, i was wondering if i need to take calc, or is algebra, trig and statistics ok? Do med schools require calc. And, how much english do i need? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools require at least 2 semesters of English. I think Calculus varies among the schools. I know that one of the schools I have looked into requires either a semester of calculus OR 2 semesters of other math courses.

yep u do need claculus, i am not sure how much schools look at this, but on the average, all schools require this, there might be some exceptions.

about english, i think the most u need is 3 three-credit english classes, nine credit hours, some school require less, i dont know of any that requires more.

hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm under the impression the majority of schools do not require calculus and that there are exceptions that do, UT Houston, Hopkins, etc.

My state school, Univ of Washington does not, although biochem is a different story. :)

thanks, i have the option of taking a one semester (advanced) english course that is equal to two semesters of regular english. should i just take the advanced course and take another semester of english later if i need to?

if u want to apply to a wide range of schools then u shouldnt take the advanced courses, cos some schools will not accept them, but if u know the schools u are applying to then u can find out if they will accept it and well.... ur decision

Hi,
I know a number of people have answered your question but I did want to give my 2 cents. The poster who said you need calculus at most schools is incorrect. I would estimate less than 10% require it. I do know off hand that Harvard does.

Most schools only require 2 college math credits. These can be stats, algebra (college level), trig, precalculus or calculus. I took stats, algebra, precalc and calc simply because my advisor didn't look closely at the math I had already so I have more math than I needed.

Some majors require calc so make sure you do whatever you need for your major requirements if your major is a math or science field.

As to English again it is usually only 2 classes.

You can check the schools you are interested in and they will have the requirments ususally listed on their web pages.

Amy

harvard requires one year of calc, but many schools do indeed require 1 semester of calc.......just apply to all the schools you want and if you get in and want to go to a school that requires calc, you can take it the summer before you start.......the requirements are generally for before matriculation, i know harvard's and hopkins and most otehr top schools that have a clac requirement work the same way.................

nero

how do AP credits factor into this? a lotta people took AP level calculus and are premeds. Our advising office says that it depends based on the school whether these are accepted.

At worst you can take it after you get a secondary/acceptance though.

Originally posted by AegisZero
how do AP credits factor into this? a lotta people took AP level calculus and are premeds. Our advising office says that it depends based on the school whether these are accepted.

At worst you can take it after you get a secondary/acceptance though.

Assume the AP doesn't count. A lot of schools want actual college classes.

There are actually schools that offer Algebra and Trig at the college level? What a joke.

Actually...it's not really true that most schools require calculus. According to the 2002-2003 MSAR, only 23 schools wanted Calculus and 17 wanted some college mathematics. Of course, things could have changed in a year....

Originally posted by Random Access
Assume the AP doesn't count. A lot of schools want actual college classes.

really?...schools haven't had a problem with my AP calc, that's the only one i decided to transfer, harvard and wash u and all the others had no problem with it.....am i mistaken?............

nero

I know for sure that UCLA Medical School requires calc. I currently attend Michigan State and the school has a requirement of a year of calc in order to graduate.

BTW I hate my calc class........:mad:

I love Calculus... I always enjoyed it! I have had through Differential Equations and LInear Algebra!!

:cool: