Calculated GPA versus school GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leiface

i see sick people
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a technical question. My school does not count each class as 1 credit, it on average counts each class as 3 credits. The credits can vary between 1 and 5 for the amount of work. The credit value also factors in to our GPA. So if I got an A in a 5 credit class versus a D in a 1 credit class, it wouldn't hurt my GPA much. What I want to know is if the online med school application takes how many credits into account or counts all classes equally. In this case, I think my GPA will be different...

Please let me know!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

it takes the number of credits into account, that only makes sense. my amcas gpa though was a little higher than my school gpa.

anyone agree or disagree?

they calculate it the exact same way your school does for the most part. they will convert quarter units into semester units if you go to a school that is on the quarter system.

and by the way...basically every college in the US calculates grades that way.

oh...however if you retake a class due to a bad grade, the AMCAS will have record of both grades and does not replace it like your transcript might.

Members don't see this ad :)
mine was lower because of a few A+s that got converted to an A

Originally posted by JKDMed
How is that even possible?

If the person had A-, those effect your school GPA but not your AMCAS GPA

Originally posted by quideam
If the person had A-, those effect your school GPA but not your AMCAS GPA

Really? Does amcas count pluses and minuses?

AMCAS counts pluses for all grades except A's. It does not count any minuses.

AMCAS counts pluses for all grades except A's. It does not count any minuses.

I was under the impression of
A+=4.0
A =4.0
A- =3.7
B+=3.3
B =3.0
And so on...... It does not count any minuses? If that were true i would be standing with a 4.0 so far. But I do no believe this, I have read many previous posts that go along with my previous grade listings.

AMCAS' grade conversions:

A+ 4.0
A 4.0
A- 4.0
B+ 3.5
B 3.0
B- 3.0
C+ 2.5
C 2.0
C- 2.0

etc. I promise you that this is true - I just filled out my AMCAS a little over 6 months ago.

AMCAS' grade conversions:

A+ 4.0
A 4.0
A- 4.0
B+ 3.5
B 3.0
B- 3.0
C+ 2.5
C 2.0
C- 2.0

etc. I promise you that this is true - I just filled out my AMCAS a little over 6 months ago.

no way. cause that means my school gpa and amcas should be different but they are EXACTLY the same. AND i have some A-s.

No, honestly, i'm telling you... ok, let me go see if I can find something about this on their website.

but what you might find i think is that amcas prolly calculates gpas different depending on the way YOUR own school does it.

my school takes into account all the + and - except A+s.

A+, A: 4.0
A-: 3.7
B+: 3.3
B: 3.0
B-: 2.7
C+: 2.3
C: 2.0
C-: 1.7 etc.....

and amcas converted my grades accordingly making sure they took this into account and thus i got exactly the same GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm.... that's a good point. My school doesn't give out minuses, only pluses, so maybe that's why my application counted 3.5 for B+, etc? Interesting... i'll try to see what I can find :)

i think if you do a search on sdn...i remember this being discussed and i also thought it was interesting....because i didnt think other schools graded differently so yeah....amcas takes this into account and does it somehow.

Umm, what about "AB"s? Heh.

Alright posts after mine are kinda confusing me. Are you guys agreeing on my original post now?
A+=4.0
A =4.0
A- =3.7
B+=3.3
B =3.0
?

Originally posted by fullefect1
Alright posts after mine are kinda confusing me. Are you guys agreeing on my original post now?
A+=4.0
A =4.0
A- =3.7
B+=3.3
B =3.0
?

so here it is.

not all schools use that grading system.

there are schools that dont give out minus grades.

there are schools that give out grades like this: AB

so AMCAS knows this....and converts it accordingly to whatever specific method they have for these other schools that use a different grading system.

"A grade of B+ = grade of AB."

What a total fawkin crock of chit. There is a huge difference between an AB and a B+.

Originally posted by Ernham
"A grade of B+ = grade of AB."

What a total fawkin crock of chit. There is a huge difference between an AB and a B+.

What is an AB grade, i have never even heard of anything like this.

Here is my old chemistry syllabus for general chem.
A = 93%-100%
AB=89-92.9%
B=84--88.9%

It's suppose to be "right between an A and a B," but it is generally used as a "slightly more generous A-."

Originally posted by NRAI2001
What is an AB grade, i have never even heard of anything like this.

yeah this is a certain type of grading system that some schools employ...tho none of the UCs use this.

AB sounds exactly like an A-.

Ok, so if a school uses the traditional grading system:

A = 4.0
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0 etc

How does the AMCAS conversiton work?

Originally posted by Apparition

A = 4.0
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0 etc

then there is no conversion.

Originally posted by Apparition

A = 4.0
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0 etc

what you see on your transcript is what you will see on your amcas.

So if my school uses only plus grades and not minus grades, all of my B+ grades will count as a 3.5 instead of a 3.3? Because I have been using 3.3 to calculate my stuff.