goldenstandard2

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
how do you calculate your science gpa, ie do you calculate all classes in your major (even if some are not science classes per se, such as spanish or social topics related to health) or just bio, chem, ochem, physics, math. Also, do you include survey courses that are designed for non-science majors?
Also, what is the relative importance of your science gpa compared to your overall gpa, ie i have upwards of a 3.7 science gpa, and around a 3.6 cummulative gpa, is that good or bad?

thanks

DoctorDreamer

In a far away land...
10+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2007
Never-Never-Land
Status
Medical Student
They both need to be high.

Here's how you calculate:

Take each biology, chemistry, physics, and match class you've taken in college. (If the course number starts with one of those categories, you'll count it). If you have wierd classes like astronomy, they may or may not be included, but I don't know.

For each class, give yourself 0 points for an F, 1 point for a D, 2 points for a C, 3 points for a B, and 4 points for a B (Figuring that your school has this scale). Figure out how many credit hours the class was worth and multiply your points by that number.

Do that for each class.

1. Now add up all your points (the points for each class multiplied by the number of credit hours for each class).

2. Also add up the total number of credit hours there were in all those classes.

Divide number 1 by number 2. That's your science GPA.

doomknight

Bing
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status
I should also add that you might consider make an excel spreadsheet with formulas, so you can plug and read out immediately.

Katatonic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2007
Oregon
Status
Pre-Medical
I have the same question, thanks for posting the way to calculate, but how do +'s and -'s figure into the points? I mean a B is worth 3 points but what about a B+?

BigMDT

FO SHO
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2007
California
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
this conversation is not intense enough.

DoctorDreamer

In a far away land...
10+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2007
Never-Never-Land
Status
Medical Student
I have the same question, thanks for posting the way to calculate, but how do +'s and -'s figure into the points? I mean a B is worth 3 points but what about a B+?
You should know if your school cares about those. Most schools just do straight 1, 2, 3, 4, but some schools factor in +s and -s. If your school does, it's probably something like a 4.0 for an A, 3.8 for an A-, 3.2 for a B+, 3.0 for a B, 2.8 for a B-, 2.2 for a C+, 2.0 for a C, 1.8 for a C-, 1.2 for a D+, 1.0 for a D, and 0.8 for a D-.

You'll need to look at your transcript to see how they actually weight them if your school doesn't do a strict 1,2,3,4.

You calculate it the same way, multiplying your points by the credit hours, adding up all your points, and dividing by the total number of credit hours.

knuck000

10+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Go to the AAMC website and go to the AMCAS section. They have an AMCAS instruction book that is around 70 pages long, but there is a section on GPA calculation. They list the course types (i.e., BIOC, PSIO, MCB...) that count under the science GPA calculation. I was curious myself to GPA and science GPA calculation but the viewbook helps out a lot. Check it out.

kansaskid

too school for cool
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
the Djougs
Status
Pre-Medical
4.0 for an A, 3.8 for an A-, 3.2 for a B+, 3.0 for a B, 2.8 for a B-, 2.2 for a C+, 2.0 for a C, 1.8 for a C-, 1.2 for a D+, 1.0 for a D, and 0.8 for a D-.

My school is 4.0 for A, 3.67 for A-, 3.33 for B+, 3.0 for B, 2.67 for B-, 2.33 for C+, 2.0 for C etc. Which is crazy. It basically means that I can get 92% on everything I do and still only have a 3.6 gpa which isn't exactly the most competitive. But for swells, it's damn good. I just wish/hope med schools see that! (we do include a little note about grade deflation in our transcript, so...maybe they will):)

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician

bodonid

Dr. Spaceman
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2007
Status
Medical Student
science GPA means BCPM, and BCPM is:

Course Classification

Each course must be assigned a course classification based entirely on the primary content of the course. See the listing of course classification examples below for guidance in selecting Course Classifications. The Course Classifications below are bolded, and are titled as they appear in the Course Classification drop-down list. Click each Course Classification to open a list of example courses for that classification. The bulleted items beneath each bolded Course Classification are examples of courses for which you should select that bolded Course Classification. You are responsible for selecting the correct Course Classification. However, AMCAS reserves the right to change Course Classifications if the assigned Course Classification clearly does not apply. AMCAS is not responsible for any processing delays or incorrect GPA calculations resulting from incorrect Course Classifications. In addition, AMCAS will not make corrections to course classifications based on information that becomes available after you submit your application.
Course Classifications, in addition to describing the courses you enter, are used in the calculation of your AMCAS GPA. On the list of Course Classification examples below, Course Classifications that are followed by "BCPM" indicate that courses for which you choose this Course Classification will be calculated in your BCPM GPA. The BCPM GPA is comprised of courses, which are considered to be Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics courses. Course Classifications that are not followed by "BCPM" indicate that courses for which you choose this Course Classification will be calculated in your AO (All Other) GPA.

Behavioral & Social Sciences (BESS)
· Anthropology
· Economics
· Family Studies
· Psychology
· Sociology
Biology (BIOL) - BCPM
· Anatomy
· Biology
· Biophysics
· Biotechnology
· Botany
· Cell Biology
· Ecology
· Entomology
· Genetics
· Histology
· Immunology
· Microbiology
· Molecular Biology
· Neuroscience
· Physiology
Business (BUSI)
· Accounting
· Business
· Finance
· Human Resource Studies
· Management
· Organizational Studies
· Marketing
Chemistry (CHEM) - BCPM
· Biochemistry
· Chemistry
· Physical Chemistry
· Thermodynamics
Communications (COMM)
· Journalism
· Media Production & Studies
· TV, Video, & Audio
Computer Science/Technology (COMP)
· Computer Science
· Computer Engineering
· Information Systems
· Telecommunications
Education (EDUC)
· Counseling & Personnel Services
· Curriculum & Instruction
· Educational Policy
· Educational Administration
· Health Education
· Human Development
· Physical Education (except for sports courses such as tennis, golf, aerobics, etc. Use Other for these types of courses.)
· Special Education
Engineering (ENGI)
· Aerospace Engineering
· Biomedical Engineering
· Chemical Engineering
· Civil Engineering
· Electrical Engineering
· Engineering
· Environmental Engineering
· Mechanical Engineering
· Nuclear Engineering
English Language & Literature (ENGL)
· English Composition & Rhetoric
· English Creative Writing
· English Language & Literature
Fine Arts (ARTS)
· Art
· Art History
· Dance
· Fine Arts
· Music
· Photography
· Theatre
Health Sciences (HEAL)
· Allied Health
· Chiropractic
· Dentistry
· Hearing & Speech Sciences
· Hospital Administration
· Kinesiology
· Medical Technology
· Medicine
· Nursing
· Nutrition & Food Sciences
· Occupational Therapy
· Optometry
· Osteopathy
· Physical Therapy
· Physician Assistant
· Public Health
· Pharmacology & Pharmacy
· Sports Medicine
· Veterinary Medicine
History (HIST)
· History
Foreign Languages/Linguistics/Lit. (FLAN)
· American Sign Language
· Comparative Literature
· Linguistics
· Foreign Language(s) & Literature
Government/Political Sci/Law (GOVT)
· Criminology & Criminal Justice
· Government
· International Relations & Studies
· Law/Legal Studies
· Political Science
· Public Affairs & Policy
· Urban Policy & Planning
Math (MATH) - BCPM
· Applied Mathematics
· Mathematics
· Statistics
Natural/Physical Sciences (NPSC)
· Agriculture
· Animal and Avian Sciences
· Forestry
· Geography
· Geology
· Horticulture
· Landscape Architecture
· Meteorology
· Natural Resources
· Oceanography
· Environmental Science & Policy
Other (OTHR)
All courses which do not fit appropriately into another category, including:
· Architecture
· Interdisciplinary courses
· Library Science
· Military Science
· Sports (tennis, golf, aerobics, etc.)
Philosophy/Religion (PHIL)
· Ethics
· Logic
· Philosophy
· Religion
· Theology
Physics (PHYS) - BCPM

· Astronomy

· Physics

Special Studies (SSTU)
· Afro-American Studies
· American Studies
· Gender Studies

maktubsantiago

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
long time lurker here,

i just had to register to thank for person above me for that heavensent list!!

:) thank you!:eek::thumbup::thumbup: