Calculator specifications on the DAT? Anyone had experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denizen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm preparing for QR and watching Chad's videos, and he is putting tons of emphasis on doing things in your head—a lot of his examples I feel I could easily do on the calculator (I'm fairly quick with mouse click calculators). I read somewhere that there is a time delay of one second after each button press, perhaps to create a "handicap" for those who choose to type everything in. Can anyone confirm or deny this? It would also be helpful to know if there is a (-) key for entering negative numbers, and I might as well ask if there are any other keys on it since I'm already making a thread.

Does anyone know if the calculators are even consistent across testing centers?

EDIT: Sorry this is in the wrong section. I've only ever read this section before and didn't realize there was one for the DAT.

Members don't see this ad.

It's the regular calculator that pops up on your computer. Sometimes if you're lucky, you'll get a computer that will also allow you to type the numbers into the keypad, sometimes you aren't so lucky and will have to click the numbers which is a little annoying... so just make sure your Num Lock is off before starting your exam. Also, no, there isn't a 1 second delay...

Reactions: 1 user
It's the regular calculator that pops up on your computer. Sometimes if you're lucky, you'll get a computer that will also allow you to type the numbers into the keypad, sometimes you aren't so lucky and will have to click the numbers which is a little annoying... so just make sure your Num Lock is off before starting your exam. Also, no, there isn't a 1 second delay...

Thanks for clearing that one up. This is a little unrelated, but you get a whiteboard, marker, and eraser; is that correct? As far as scratch paper? And you get graph paper too? How does that work? Do you get a pen/pencil?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for clearing that one up. This is a little unrelated, but you get a whiteboard, marker, and eraser; is that correct? As far as scratch paper? And you get graph paper too? How does that work? Do you get a pen/pencil?

No you get two markers and two unerasable sheets. You need to trade in the sheets for new ones if they run out of room.

Also the calculator pops up right in front of the question so you have to drag it away every time.
My keyboard worked so I didn't have issues with the clicking.

My keyboard worked as well, but I would practice assuming it doesn't.

No you get two markers and two unerasable sheets. You need to trade in the sheets for new ones if they run out of room.

Also the calculator pops up right in front of the question so you have to drag it away every time.
My keyboard worked so I didn't have issues with the clicking.
Are they fairly good at trading in your sheets? Like as soon as you raise your hand or whatever do they swap them out for you?

Are they fairly good at trading in your sheets? Like as soon as you raise your hand or whatever do they swap them out for you?
At my testing center, every 20-30 minutes, the protector would come into the testing room and walk around. You could either trade when he walked around or you had to go out of the room and trade there. It was a huge PITA so I didn't trade any of my papers.

Also my markers barely worked.

Reactions: 1 users

You're allowed 2 laminated graphing sheets at a time (each sheet has a front and back you can use). The first part of the test before the 15 minute break is: 100 science questions + PAT

I recommend using 1 sheet for all 3 science sections & PAT (bio & ochem have limited writing but g-chem can get pretty involved). Figure out how you can effectively use a half page for each section.

Prime the 2nd sheet for mapping RC. (If you don't use mapping than you almost wont even need more than 2 laminated graphing sheets for the whole test)

Then during your break substitute out your science and PAT sheet for a clean one you can use exclusively for the QR.

Reactions: 1 user
My calculator was awesome. Used the number pad. Make sure, as stated earlier, num lock is off.

I used half a sheet for chemistry and that's it. So I didn't trade in till my break. I didn't use the sheets for PAT at all, I feel it wastes too much time and I practiced without using paper. But of course to each their own! Goodluck