Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Calculators on the MCAT

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JulianCrane, Dec 31, 2001.

1. JulianCrane

JulianCrane The Power of Intention

This may be a dumb question, but I've never found the answer. Are calculators indeed allowed or needed on the MCAT?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Neither...

4. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus

There is some math there, but nothing that you can't do without a calculator. Do a couple of the AAMC practice tests to get a feel for the level of math required...

5. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    It's funny... I sounded like you two years ago when I found out that you can't use calculators. I thought I would go into shock.

Let me assure anyone who is reading this... You will not need to use a calculator. Just practice your basic math skills, ones you used in high school and you will be fine. Start doing basic math functions in your classes without the use of your calculator.

Good luck to all.
    Amy :D

6. none

none 1K Member

Being an MCAT veteran...I definitely think calculators would be quite useful, but they are completely prohibited. Start practicing long division now!

7. Tweetie_bird

LOL, when I first found out that calcs are not allowed on the MCAT, I probably had the "my puppy just died" look on my face.
    Now that I am studying for my MCATs, I am realizing how much of a help they would be. I get so nervous and atleast 25 percent of the answers I get WRONG are because of some mathematical error. ALWAYS.
    As you can tell, I should probably get back to high school. Anyway, back to studying....

8. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus

You can make your life a lot easier by simplifying a lot of the numbers you get. If you see a 8.5, round it up to 10. Make that 426 500. Usually the answers are really far apart (ie - it's 1, 10, or 100), so you just need to figure out what range your answer is in.

If you start multiplying every single number to the 2nd decimal place, you will run out of time. Round, round, round, round, round! :D

Just doing a bunch of practice MCATs will get you used to the idea of doing math like that in your head or on scrap paper. I think a calculator would help, but you can do it without one without a lot of difficulty...

Just my 2 cents.... :D

9. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    I totally agree with Brandonite. I also meant to write about the rounding off of numbers. It makes everything so much easier. the answers will be close enough and it saves TIME, which becomes much more of an issue than calculations.

Remember gravity is not 9.8, but rather 10.

Good luck, I feel your pain and anxiety as you study. Cheer up it will be over before you know it.

Amy