• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Calculus 2 Required or not required for MED SCHOOL?

IS CALC 2 Required or Not Required for Medical School?

• Total voters

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
Seattle, WA
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    A few schools require a whole year of calculus (I know Harvard does), but the vast majority do not. A fair number require a year's worth of college level math as I recall, but that can be algebra if you wanted. Check the MSAR.

About the Ads

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Dec 26, 2005
    Alabama
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Only about 4 schools require cal II for matriculation to a medical school. The ones I am aware of are Duke, Harvard, Johns Hopkins and Washington University in St. Louis.

Other than those schools I am not aware of any that require cal II. Also only about 12 other schools require Cal I. So most schools don't require any calculus at all.

JohnMadden

Political Refugee
      10+ Year Member
      Jan 11, 2007
        From JHMI website-
        Mathematics-Calculus or Statistics, one year (6 to 8 semester hours) Advanced Placement credit for calculus, acceptable to the student?s undergraduate college, may be used in fulfillment of one semester of the Hopkins math requirement.

AtreyuRocks

10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Mar 3, 2007
        Richmond, VA
        1. MD/PhD Student
          How is this a poll? It's not a subjective question: these days only Harvard and Wash U require calc 2, as you were already told in a similar thread. Only 16 schools require any Calc at all.

haha. true. :thumbup:... and even for the schools that require calc, call and see how strict of a requirement this is..

mahalopele

2+ Year Member
          Nov 7, 2015
          1. Pre-Medical
            A few schools require a whole year of calculus (I know Harvard does), but the vast majority do not. A fair number require a year's worth of college level math as I recall, but that can be algebra if you wanted. Check the MSAR.

This is no longer true. Harvard does require 1 semester of Calculus to give you familiarity with derivatives, integrals, and what-not, but you don't have to take Calculus II. You do have to take a statistics course, though.

OchemOficionado

Staff member
            Volunteer Staff
            5+ Year Member
            Verified Expert
            Apr 25, 2016
            1. Medical Student
              This is no longer true. Harvard does require 1 semester of Calculus to give you familiarity with derivatives, integrals, and what-not, but you don't have to take Calculus II. You do have to take a statistics course, though.

Omg! The comment you responded to was 9 years ago

Reactions: 1 users

Lawpy

31% Full Member
              7+ Year Member
              SDN Ambassador
            • Jun 17, 2014
              Replacement Chat
              forums.studentdoctor.net
                Omg! The comment you responded to was 9 years ago

Well at least the thread participants now know the requirements had changed... 9 years later...

Reactions: 1 users
                About the Ads
                This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.