Calculus 2 required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxlo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know that most med schools require a year of math, but I don't think it specifically says a year of calculus.

My friend has taken a semester of Pre-Calc, Calc 1, and is wondering if she should take Calc 2 or statistics next fall? Basically, should she take calc 2 at all? Will it be on the MCAT and/or do med schools expect you to take it even if it doesn't specifically say on their requirements?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Stat + calc 1 is all you should ever do unless you actually need calc 2 for your major or for calc based physics. Otherwise don't take it because you'll be risking your gpa. Unless you want harvard don't bother yourself with calc 2.

Excellent, exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks all.

I'm taking calculus 2 right now..
I heard it looks better for medical school

you heard wrong and the OP has gotten all the information he/she needed.

Carry on...

It looks good if you get a A and it makes your Sgpa and Cgpa go up. If you get a B it doesn't matter, it'll look bad and will lower your numbers.

calc 2 is a breeze, I would say take it and up the Sgpa

It looks good if you get a A and it makes your Sgpa and Cgpa go up. If you get a B it doesn't matter, it'll look bad and will lower your numbers.
Doesn't any course look better when you get an A? :confused:
I'm not sure how i'm doing grade wise in the course.

and you know this how? :rolleyes:

Individual course scores are paid very little attention. Outside of the pre-requisites most colleges will not looks at the courses. However the gpa's will be looked at, so keeping it up is a must.

Individual course scores are paid very little attention. Outside of the pre-requisites most colleges will not looks at the courses. However the gpa's will be looked at, so keeping it up is a must.
Wow, what a bummer :(

I was told, by interviewers, the opposite, that taking additional/advanced science courses looks good (if you're a non-science major). Who knows how much of a difference it makes anyway.