calculus 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiwibearjen

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I personally hate math! What can I say? I'm just not a math person! The thing is, I heard some guidance counselor saying that most med school actually require their applicants to take calc 2! Is that true? Cuz I'm realli thinking about taking that class if it's as important as they say it is! But on the other hand, I know i suck at math, I dont wanna sacrafice my GPA for it! I need some advice, help help help!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by kiwibearjen:
•The thing is, I heard some guidance counselor saying that most med school actually require their applicants to take calc 2! Is that true?•••

Nope, it isn't true that most require it. Contact a premed advisor, or get a copy of the MSAR and see for yourself. :)

NOOOOOOOO, you CAN"T hate Cal II. I loved it when I took it in high school. Oh, the days......my gosh, I was a geek back then. I couldn't wait for 1st period Cal II. (psst, actually it was a certain soccer player that made the class such a favorite).

On a more serious note, most require Cal I, but not Cal II. I may be mistaken, but I think your guidance counselor added an extra "I."

Relax! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to 19 schools and of those that required Calculus, all only required one semester, w/possibly one exception - I can't remember exactly. What I do remember tho' is that UC-Irvine requires 4 units of Calc., which seems weird to me - Calc. is a 3 unit class, at least where I took it. Since I had two semesters, I didn't bother asking them where they got the 4 from. They are a quarter system school tho' (i think) so maybe they translated into semester units incorrectly. The best thing to do: contact the schools you are interested in and ask them.

Dear kiwibearjen:

As far as I can tell, Calc II is not necessary for admittance into medical schools (please keep in mind that I have only looked at state schools, I'm not sure about the private medical schools around the country and how or if their admission requirements differ). However, Physics with Calculus, as far as I can tell, is "recommended", and at most schools I've looked at (due to transferring out of Florida in the next year) many second semester Physics with Calculus courses require Calc II as a co/pre-requisite. This probably differs between each and every school, but it has been a theme at the ones I've been looking into. Maybe this is what your counselor was trying to get at? I'm not a math person either, so I'm trying to figure how I can get around taking Calc II but I doubt I'll be able to do so. Best of luck to you in both your medical and mathematical pursuits. Also, welcome to SDN...

I know Harvard requires Calc II, and since it's the only school I've applied to and will be accepted at, I took it.

I took Calc. II even though I did not need it for my major because my premed advisor told me some school recquire it. This is indeed true- I know for a fact that my Washington U. in St. Louis acceptance letter made me check off boxes saying I had completed both. But if you really don't want to take it- and you already know all of the schools you want to apply to- then you can just check with all of the schools first.
I know Calc. II sucks but I'm sure it would make you really mad if you got accepted to a school and then they took it away because you did not do all the pre-reqs.

Do schools that require both calc I and calc II state that the applicant has to have 2 semesters of calc, or that they have to have completed both calc I and calc II? I'm asking this because I have just completed a class that condensed both calc I and calc II into one semester (for students who had taken AP calc in high school but hadn't scored high enough on the AP test to place out of calc I and calc II). Thanks!

I think I applied to a school that required Calc2 but I can't remember which one. Anyway, I advise you to turn away from Calc2 and run as fast as you can, never looking back.

Styphon how is the class going so far? I took calc I 5 years ago and didn't do so hot. So I plan to audit calc I this spring and take calc II in the summer if I get an interview at Harvard. If I don't, no money/time is lost.